PDA

View Full Version : PC creation Portaits

dlcdav
June 1st, 2007, 04:23
Can you not give your character an image if you only have Player version.

NymTevlyn
June 1st, 2007, 04:26
Yes, you need to dig around to find the correct folder which is here if you have Windows XP/Vista:

C:\Documents and Settings\(account name)\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\portraits

It might be hidden, so you will need to unhide them in Folder options.

Griogre
June 1st, 2007, 20:18
The data folder is in different places on different OSs. And it is hidden by default. I'm not sure if the light version has this but, the easiest way to find the data folder is to go to the start menu and then to FG2 and select application data folder. You want to put your portrait images in the portraits folder. Ideally, your portraits should be 63x63 pixels. FG will size the portraits to this size but they might not look very good if they are shrunk or enlarged too much.

NymTevlyn
June 1st, 2007, 20:52
Hah, I never noticed they had a link to the application data folder in Start > Program Files. I never use that run anything. I have everything linked in the quickbar at the bottom.

It's really 63x63? The guy I played my first game with said 50x50 was good.

Ged
June 2nd, 2007, 08:10
63x63 is the size FG displays the portraits. If the original image is of different size, FG scales the portrait and if you have a picture of 200x50, for instance, it will badly malformed... And yes, using your own portraits is allowed both in the Full and the Lite versions.

Check www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide/identities.xcp -> Adding new portraits.

Griogre
June 2nd, 2007, 18:52
Hah, I never noticed they had a link to the application data folder in Start > Program Files. I never use that run anything. I have everything linked in the quickbar at the bottom.

It's really 63x63? The guy I played my first game with said 50x50 was good.
Most people use the 63x63 for portraits because the default portraits are that size. 50x50 was/is the size many people used for medium sized tokens on the map. The size is close enough to the 63x63 that it probably looks ok as a portrait too because it is square and not too much smaller. However you get the worse results in general, when an app has to increase the size of a picture dynamically. Its much easier to take out pixels on the fly than add them and have it look "good".