PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic results in tables: how to "erase" a result that has already been rolles?

Vassago77
December 26th, 2020, 19:48
I was wondering if there is a way to "erase" a result from tables once it comes out.

For example, there's a table with 1d8 possible results. On the first roll, the number 5 comes out.

Is there a way for subsequent rolls to ignore another result of 5, and either automatically reroll until a number that never came out actually arrives? Or automatically adjust the table by deleting the number 5 result and "skipping" it going to the next result (in this case 6)? Or something similar that achieves the same result?

I am trying to achieve this result because I built a Random Encounter table, and once that particular monster or encounter comes out it does not happen again.

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2020, 20:50
Not without some kind of extension, no.

I can't think of any kind of easy workaround from something like that.

Karnas
December 26th, 2020, 20:58
I believe published modules for this purpose make a different table without the rolled result - I mainly noticed that in gazer eye ray table for example.

Vassago77
December 26th, 2020, 21:03
OK, thanks for the quick answers! I'll take a look at this gazer eye ray!

wndrngdru
December 27th, 2020, 00:23
I believe this is the core functionality of the Basic Card Tables extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23099-Basic-Card-Tables-Extensions&p=199031&viewfull=1#post199031). You could take a look at that. It simulates removing a card from a deck, thus making it no longer available to pick from.

damned
December 27th, 2020, 01:34
Yes card tables extension is best option for this.

Vassago77
December 27th, 2020, 08:19
I took a look into the "card table extension", and it is exactly what I was looking for! And it seems to work perfectly in FGU. Thanks guys! :)