PDA

View Full Version : New adventure, same characters

Aescleal
May 31st, 2007, 18:45
Okay, dumb question here.
I ran my group through an adventure.
Now I want to run the players through a different one with the same characters.
For arguement sake, lets just say the first adventure was the one that comes with FG2.
When I open the new adventure and the players log in to the server, they don't see their server-side characters from the previous game.
How do I get their characters from one, into another?

I tried just copying the db from the original adventure folder, into the folder of the new adventure. And this allows them to open their characters, but some things get screwed up, like protraits... which worries me that I will have to go through each and every line of the new db copy to ensure it's the same. (why wouldn't it be?)

Isn't there a better way of doing this?
And can this be added into the How-To in the Library?

richvalle
May 31st, 2007, 18:52
Are you creating a new campagin for each adventure?

I think campaigns are... global containers. All your adventures that happen with the same characters happen in the same FG campaign.

If you like, you can break the adventures up into Modules. Create an adventure, export it off into a Module and then you can import it whenever needed.

Others have talked about creating a module for each town, city, area that the characters adventure too. Characters heading to Town X? Load up the Town X module and all the npc's, maps ect are there.

As to your questions... I'd think moving the db.xml should move the characters. Portraits would be messed up because they are campaign specific. You'll need to set them up just like you did the first time. All the character information should be good though.

Hope that helps.

rv

nezzir
May 31st, 2007, 23:41
Yeah, I did the same thing. I wrote several modules and exported them. Then I started a campaign and created the starting characters. When I got everything like I wanted it, I just backed up the entire folder for that campaign.

Run the campaign, when you get ready to start again, run the copy or a copy of the copy :)

Another cool thing I've found is that inside the usersettings folder in your campaign is a file called "hotkeys_host.xml". It contains all the hotkeys you set up. I have a series of hotkeys that I use during the game, calling for certain rolls, explainations for a rule mechanic, votes, welcome screens, play tips, etc. When I start a new campaign I just copy that file over to the new usersettings folder.

Aescleal
June 1st, 2007, 15:48
Fantastic, thank you both. I'm going to try setting this up on the weekend. :)
I'll be back with questions if I have them!
Cheers,
Aescleal