PDA

View Full Version : LFP 5E Ravenloft: Night of the Walking Dead - Wed 1pm-5pm EST (UTC-5)

Shannara
December 24th, 2020, 18:50
All slots have been filled

FG License: GM has Unity Ultimate - Players need Demo version or above
Game System: D&D 5E

Time Zone: Eastern Time USA, UTC-5
Day of week and time: Wednesdays 1:00pm - 5:00pm
If new game, planned start date: after 4 players have been found, starting with session 0 for character discussion/creation
Planned Duration & Frequency: 4 hr session, weekly
Term: To the module's finish but potentially willing to extend into a larger campaign

Text or Voice: Voice and text
Voice software used: Discord - a working mic is needed
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No

Roleplay & Combat mix: 70/30 for this module
Number of Players in game & needed: 0/4
Character starting level & equipment: 2nd Level, PHB Standard Equipment for starting class +20gp
Character restrictions: Humans preferred due to Ravenloft setting, will consider other PHB races. PHB will be used for character creation.

Details of your scenario: This is an old-school Ravenloft module converted for play in 5E, and it will be run using that old-school Ravenloft feel. Characters will hail from the Sword Coast (Faerun) at the start, and will have no prior knowledge of the strange realm they find themselves in shortly after the game begins.

For those unfamiliar with Ravenloft, it is a Fantasy meets Gothic Horror setting. Each realm in the Demiplane of Dread (as it is affectionally dubbed) comes from another setting, brought into creation by the Dark Powers around a particularly evil act and modeled upon that original setting and the circumstances of the evil catalyst. Souragne, the dread realm of this adventure, is an island of swamps, bayous and voodoo, with a bit of feudalism thrown in for good measure (minus the travesty of me trying to affect a Cajun accent). Ravenloft is not a heroic setting. The stories behind each realm's creation, to me, embody tragic irony and the consequences of extreme obsession -- and this flavors the adventures to be found there. It is not everyone's cup of tea. There are victories, certainly, but they are generally situational victories. As much as heroes are welcomed, that welcome is tinged by the locals' dread of attracting attention that might worsen their plight. As well, there are some changes to the way certain magic/spells work, particularly divine magic.

I am looking for 4 players who are team-oriented and willing to work together to make an enjoyable game. I'm a mature GM (probably old enough to refer to players in their 20s as 'young whipper-snappers'), who's been playing since AD&D. I've run quite a few games on play-by-post, and a lesser number of face-to-face games. I'm still learning 5E and Fantasy Grounds, so I'm happy for players to help me with the particulars of either -- otherwise, if you're new to one or both, we can figure it out together. This adventure is more story-oriented than combat-oriented, so those seeking cool, maximized characters and a huge variety of hostile NPCs and expansive maps probably won't find them here.

I'd like to keep the game small because it gives everyone a chance to have their characters shine without getting lost in the shuffle or having long waits for their turn. Because of the small number of players, I'm also asking a reasonable willingness to commit to the weekly schedule. I strongly would prefer players who haven't read the module or any of its conversions, as the campaign is a mystery with relatively small scope.

PCs will start as guards in the employ of Alwin Shale, a reputable if somewhat surly merchant based out of Waterdeep. Their first mission (pre-campaign) was a trek from Amphail to Daggerford, where they gained a bit of experience and trust (so PCs should have at least a bit of familiarity with each other) and now they are tasked with getting loaded wagons from the fields north of Daggerford to Cromm's Hold. His son, Eddart, will be heading the wagons, as his father hopes this will 'season' the lad, and coax him away from his 'fool hobby'. Things are said to be relatively quiet at the moment, though the guards have been told to keep an eye out for Lizardmen from the Lizard Marsh once they near the hold.

How and when they encounter the Mists and what they will find when the Mists lift ... awaits discovery.

Feel free to message me with questions/interest. If things seem a good fit, I'd like to schedule a bit of casual chat on Discord about expectations, the setting, and play style. Happy Holidays!

JaymzLuke
December 25th, 2020, 00:49
Very interested in playing. Time works for me so just let me know. It sounds like we have been playing about the same amount of time. I am very familiar with 5th and FG.

Shannara
December 25th, 2020, 13:46
Hi, JaymzLuke, and thanks for the interest. Are you familiar with the Ravenloft setting as well? ... and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays!

JaymzLuke
December 25th, 2020, 16:19
Hey Shannara, I wouldn't say overly familiar. I played a few Ravenloft campaigns way back in the day and maybe another one or two during 3.5 times but it has been several years. Would love to revisit. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Laconiclament
December 25th, 2020, 19:46
Hello, I'm also very interested in joining. I work a lot, but this day/time is perfect for me. I've been dying to find a group to get in with more and more as the year has gone by.

I have played and DM'd to an exhaustive degree in 3.5, have some light familiarity with Ravenloft (willing to brush up, as directed) and used FG only a few times, years ago. I have watched more than a few 5e streams/videos, so am not entirely foreign to it; but neither am I a seasoned player of it. Eager to experience it and a fast learner, though!

Hope to hear back from you! PM would probably be most reliable, thanks.

mike urch
December 27th, 2020, 18:11
Hi, i'm interested. been playing since 2ed. been dming for 3 years now. the last 2 on fg, and recently on fgu. and due to shoulder surgery, which is why my typing is bad, i have loads of time.

Anarkos
December 28th, 2020, 08:54
I know I'm probably too late for this one, but just in case there is still a spot open please send me a message on Discord. Thanks! Anarkos#5943

Shannara
December 28th, 2020, 13:24
Thanks for the interest, guys. All slots have been filled.

Sir Bluto of Faber
December 30th, 2020, 23:50
I would like to join your campaign , I just bought FG unity ultimate but I haven't played online yet. I am experienced with pathfinder 1e ,D&D 3.5 and 5e so I know how to play D&D though I will have some FG questions at first so be warned. Some of my best friends are humans so I have no problem playing one and besides Ravenloft isn't as fun with dark vision. I will be what ever character the party needs but left to my own devices I would be a cleric of light/life or a vengeance paladin.

Sir Bluto of Faber
December 31st, 2020, 00:03
sorry I replied before I read this Happy New year and good luck