PDA

View Full Version : Dumping Fantasy Grounds chat into Discord

prometheus13
December 24th, 2020, 15:26
Hi,

I was wondering if there exists or if someone has worked on an extension that could dump the contents of the chat window into Discord.

What I would like to do is use Fantasy Grounds as a GM but give the players the option to use Discord only.

Apologies if it has been covered in a thread already but I could not find anything.

The closest thing that I found was the Grognard extension.

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2020, 15:27
No, there's nothing like that. Not even sure that it is possible to do.

Weissrolf
December 26th, 2020, 10:41
You would have to run an external application that reads from the chat-log file and then pastes the content to Discord stripped of the HTML parts.

celestian
December 26th, 2020, 20:41
No, there's nothing like that. Not even sure that it is possible to do.

You'd need a REST API that you could send URLs to. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Bot/API in Discord for something like this. It wouldn't be to hard to send all chat text to another site if you had something like that on the remote end. It would work similar to how all the extensions trigger Syrinscape, they would just send to an actual URL with the proper JSON data packet.

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2020, 20:52
You'd need a REST API that you could send URLs to. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Bot/API in Discord for something like this. It wouldn't be to hard to send all chat text to another site if you had something like that on the remote end. It would work similar to how all the extensions trigger Syrinscape, they would just send to an actual URL with the proper JSON data packet.

I lost you after 'You'd need a' :)

mattekure
December 26th, 2020, 21:16
Either way it requires either new functionality built into FG (that can’t be added via extension) or another application outside of FG running.

celestian
December 27th, 2020, 00:39
Either way it requires either new functionality built into FG (that can’t be added via extension) or another application outside of FG running.

I'm not sure that's true. As I said, this is no different than the mac version of syrinscape API calls where you send to a http URL.

I looked over the discord API docs briefly and it seems a pretty simple process if the documentation I partially read is what I think it is.

damned
December 27th, 2020, 00:42
You could also monitor the chatlog file with an external script?