PDA

View Full Version : Is there some way to display a map showing what players are seeing?

steveculshaw
December 24th, 2020, 15:03
Is there some way to display a map showing what players are seeing, rather than what the GM sees?

I've watched a few videos around the line-of-sight and they show a "Players" map
e.g. the FGU one at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv1becqKVRY at around 2 minutes shows a "Cragmaw castle (Player)"

Ulric
December 24th, 2020, 15:32
Is there some way to display a map showing what players are seeing, rather than what the GM sees?

If you are using windows you can simply start FGU and load the campaign. Once the campaign is loaded, minimize the FGU GM campaign window. Now start FGU again and click the "Join" button. In the lower right of the new window you will see a text box with "<IP Address>" in the box type "localhost" and press enter. The window will change to a progress bar "Acquiring file list" when FGU finishes loading you will now have a player session. This is the exact same view as all the other players. Enjoy!

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2020, 15:50
After you start the first instance and have a campaign open right click on the FG icon on the taskbar and select Fantasy Grounds and that will start a new instance. Click on Join in that instance and if your first instance was a Cloud game them type your username in the join by DM name; otherwise use localhost as noted above.

steveculshaw
December 26th, 2020, 11:15
Thanks for the guidance

Still a bit puzzled, as the in the video, it looked like it was just another window in the current instance of FGU, rather than switching to a separate instance. And as I've just learnt, the FGU "windows" aren't true windows in the Windows/Mac OS meaning

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2020, 12:44
Thanks for the guidance

Still a bit puzzled, as the in the video, it looked like it was just another window in the current instance of FGU, rather than switching to a separate instance. And as I've just learnt, the FGU "windows" aren't true windows in the Windows/Mac OS meaning

If it was one of my videos that you were watching then I had the second instance up on my second monitor and dragged it from there into the main monitor where the video was being recorded.

steveculshaw
December 26th, 2020, 13:18
Ah ha ... I'd assumed the FGU "windows" were limited to the main shell of the instance, so they couldn't be dragged outside it

One of your videos ... not sure, I've been scrambling around FGU wiki, You Tube, etc. trying to find answers to my many questions, so which videos have I watched ?

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2020, 13:28
I just noticed the link in the first post; that was one of Doug's videos.

Most of the 5e videos are linked here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

steveculshaw
December 26th, 2020, 13:49
Ta, but I'm using the Savage Worlds ruleset ... sadly not as well supported in the video's :(