PDA

View Full Version : Text Format Issue

RustyInRT
December 24th, 2020, 04:23
I seem to have a text formatting issue in some CoC modules but not others. I noticed it particularly while reading through Doors to Darkness and then went looking for it in other areas. The problem seems that whatever font is used in certain sections doesn't like apostrophes and em dashes (maybe others) and replaces them with block characters. The problem appears in the Ruleset scenarios and misc. text but not in the Reference Manual section of the module. It also appears throughout the aforementioned Doorways to Darkness. It doesn't appear in the 2 other modules I have purchased, The Investigator's Handbook and Alone Against the Dark. Also, the issue only appears in FGU and not FGC. Please see attached screenshots.

Moon Wizard
December 24th, 2020, 06:39
There is an encoding issue between FGC and FGU; such that modules exported from older versions of FGC will incorrectly encode characters incorrectly.

If you let me know exactly which modules you are running into that are affected, we'll get them fixed up. We've been fixing up as they are reported.

Regards,
JPG

pralix1138
December 24th, 2020, 19:24
There is an encoding issue between FGC and FGU; such that modules exported from older versions of FGC will incorrectly encode characters incorrectly.

If you let me know exactly which modules you are running into that are affected, we'll get them fixed up. We've been fixing up as they are reported.

Regards,
JPG

I'm getting the same sort of thing on Pulp Cthulhu.42261

RustyInRT
December 25th, 2020, 00:04
I'm getting the same sort of thing on Pulp Cthulhu.42261

Thanks, good to know. I have Pulp Cthulhu marked as my next purchase.

Of the few CoC modules I own, the formatting problem exists in the 7th Edition Ruleset and its two included adventures and Doors to Darkness with its five associated adventure modules.

Is this the proper venue to report this problem when it appears in future purchases or should we respond elsewhere? Also, is this a common issue across all FGU rulesets? I've only begun using FGU since I developed an interest in CoC, all of my other games are on FGC. Can we expect to see this issue popping up on all older modules when I begin migrating them to FGU?

Jiminimonka
December 25th, 2020, 15:27
It will get fixed eventually, I had a similar issue in a CoC adventure and it was fixed pretty quick.

Moon Wizard
January 1st, 2021, 20:02
I just did an entire sweep of all encoding issues for all Chaosium DLC that will be pushed on this coming Tuesday.

Regards,
JPG

Jiminimonka
January 1st, 2021, 20:08
I just did an entire sweep of all encoding issues for all Chaosium DLC that will be pushed on this coming Tuesday.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks.

pralix1138
January 1st, 2021, 21:25

Regards,
JPG

Thanks!!!

RustyInRT
January 2nd, 2021, 05:37

Regards,
JPG

Excellent! I just purchased a few more titles, most of which exhibit the issue in FGU. Thank you!

pralix1138
January 12th, 2021, 18:09

Regards,
JPG

Just wanted to say this fixed the issue on my end and thanks again!

Jip
January 27th, 2021, 22:53
Hi All,

I just bought the CoC Keeper's Guide and the Investigator's Handbook. Wanted to point out that there's still a text formatting issue. In addition to inserting the little rectangles, it is also dropping the letter F all over and formatting wonky around those missing Fs.

Moon Wizard
January 27th, 2021, 23:11
Which extensions are you running? That's not the default theme, so assume you are running one or more extensions?

JPG

Moon Wizard
January 27th, 2021, 23:28
I've escalated to the developers of the CoC 7E ruleset, as this is actually a separate issue. It appears that the ruleset creates local copies of the skills, and I'm not familiar with where the data for these skill records is coming from. It is fixed in the original module already.

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 27th, 2021, 23:31
Will get this sorted and pushed to SVN today.

Jip
January 28th, 2021, 02:26
Which extensions are you running? That's not the default theme, so assume you are running one or more extensions?

JPG

Just the FG Light Brown Theme. I'm not clever enough to do much else. But I removed the theme and the problem persisted. But I'm guessing you realized that.

Thanks Moon Wizard and damned!

PS: What/Who is SVN? Trying to learn the FG ropes but I'm not up on the lingo.

Moon Wizard
January 28th, 2021, 02:39
SVN is a source control system we use to coordinate changes to files, so we can track version history as well as use in an automated workflow in our patch system. @Damned is basically saying he'll get the fixes to us shortly; and we'll schedule for the next update cycle following the fixes being submitted. (Usually the following Tuesday)

Regards,
JPG

RustyInRT
January 28th, 2021, 04:04
Oddly, the problem partially carries over into FGC now. The text formatting with the little boxes doesn't seem to be present, but the weird treatment of the missing F characters does. Was that present before the most recent fix? IDK.

Moon Wizard
January 28th, 2021, 05:30
That looks like it might be a font issue with the font used for that record. I'll have to coordinate with the @Damned to see which font they're using.

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 28th, 2021, 05:35
Hi Moon Wizard

It actually looks like a character replacement/cleanup somewhere along the way has gone quite awry.
I think Ive nearly finished fixing it up...

Moon Wizard
January 28th, 2021, 05:39
It's correctly working in the module I have; but showing up incorrectly in the old test campaign I have.

Can you send me an email where you are seeing issues with the character replacement?

Regards,
JPG

damned
January 28th, 2021, 08:56
Ive uploaded to the SVN so hopefully next Tue/Wed you should see this fixed... mind you... its possible it might not fix it for existing campaigns...

Jip
January 29th, 2021, 00:59
Thanks for the update @damned

I know there's lots of posts on these boards explaining how one can migrate their own custom content from one campaign to another. I haven't developed that skill (because I haven't needed it). But I feel certain I can figure it out.

So, generally speaking, will I be able to move my homebrew story stuff from my current campaign with the wonky formatting to a new properly-formatted campaign?

damned
January 29th, 2021, 02:13
Just recreate the characters would be the first option to try.
Post the update that is.

Jip
February 4th, 2021, 03:58
Ive uploaded to the SVN so hopefully next Tue/Wed you should see this fixed... mind you... its possible it might not fix it for existing campaigns...

You were correct on both counts @damned. The formatting issue is fixed in new campaigns, but it didn't correct in my existing one.

Thanks for taking care of this so quickly.