PDA

View Full Version : Ranger animal companions

KILLGORE
December 24th, 2020, 02:05
I would like some people to take a look at this players animal companion and let me know if you see anything wrong with it. I have some issues with the rules saying one thing and the stats looking wrong. This wolf does not wear barding or armor.

Stargrove
December 24th, 2020, 02:59
I believe that "stats" for NPCs (or monsters for that matter) are just the stat bonus for a given stat and not the actual stat like you see in a player character sheet. That was way too many uses of the term 'stat', but hopefully it made sense and was applicable to your question. I see in the bestiary that the stat block for wolf is quite a bit different. If you look at the core rule book on page 214 it details out what they should be and what you posted above seem generally in line with that. The HP and saves do seem quite high though.

Edit: I found a post with a module with all animal companion pre-gens you can load.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50278-Animal-Companions&highlight=companion

I allows you to actually create a animal companion character that the player can control and can be placed in the combat tracker just like other characters. I just added it to my campaign.

KILLGORE
December 24th, 2020, 18:05
I believe that "stats" for NPCs (or monsters for that matter) are just the stat bonus for a given stat and not the actual stat like you see in a player character sheet. That was way too many uses of the term 'stat', but hopefully it made sense and was applicable to your question. I see in the bestiary that the stat block for wolf is quite a bit different. If you look at the core rule book on page 214 it details out what they should be and what you posted above seem generally in line with that. The HP and saves do seem quite high though.

Edit: I found a post with a module with all animal companion pre-gens you can load.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50278-Animal-Companions&highlight=companion

I allows you to actually create a animal companion character that the player can control and can be placed in the combat tracker just like other characters. I just added it to my campaign.

The issue seems to be the interpretation of the rules allows for the animal no matter what it is to inherit the same armor proficiency as the master and his ability to hit also goes up along with its master. Now the wolf doesnt wear armor so just by being the Rangers companion it is a SUPER WOLF who has no equal on Golarion and now has the same AC and a young black dragon. In fact this wolf might have better stats than most player characters because of this.

That's my issue. I want someone to either disagree or agree with me so I can look at it objectively.

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2020, 19:11
I'm no expert in this ruleset but from what I read the animal companion calculates DC's in the same way as a PC would. So it's AC would be 10+Dex modifier+ armour+ other bonuses and penalties. Since the wolf has a dex bonus of +3 and can't wear armour then without any other bonuses it would have an AC of 13.

Trenloe
December 24th, 2020, 19:34
Now the wolf doesnt wear armor so just by being the Rangers companion it is a SUPER WOLF who has no equal on Golarion and now has the same AC and a young black dragon.
Yep, Animal companions are special and basically resemble the base animal only. AC 25 is correct. It's level 9, is trained in unarmed defense and has a dex modifier of +4. 10 + 2 + 9 + 4 = 25. To be honest, this isn't an amazing AC for level 9 - it'll get hit quite regularly by similar level creatures.

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2020, 19:41
Yep, Animal companions are special and basically resemble the base animal only. AC 25 is correct. It's level 9, is trained in unarmed defense and has a dex modifier of +4. 10 + 2 + 9 + 4 = 25. To be honest, this isn't an amazing AC for level 9 - it'll get hit quite regularly by similar level creatures.

See, told you I was no expert. I missed the fact that your image showed level 9.

ShadeRaven
December 24th, 2020, 21:55
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42271