PDA

View Full Version : Chase on the Combat Tracker

Jiminimonka
December 23rd, 2020, 20:14
I can't find an explanation of how to use Chase on the CT - there is a thread where @damned says about documenting it but that thread is closed and old as well.

Where can I find out how to use it?

Thanks.

damned
December 23rd, 2020, 21:59
Create a new chase.
Use the rules/guide in the rulebook/refman to setup the chase - add your obstacles etc.
Those players involved in the chase roll their init according to the rulebook/refman and then move along the chase interacting with the obstacles placed on it

Jiminimonka
December 23rd, 2020, 22:01
So just one running man avatar is on the window that pops up? None for other chase participants?

damned
December 23rd, 2020, 22:03
Drag the chase into the CT
Then activate the chase icon on those actors that are participating in the chase

Jiminimonka
December 23rd, 2020, 22:51
I updated to 4.0.6 and now get an error when I open the CT and another error when I drag a chase onto the CT.

Tried without themes and dice colour extensions, and deleted my CoC .pak file as well. Still same error.

Blank campaign and bug is gone. So its my end. What shall I delete?

I know this is off-topic, I'll get back on topic ASAP ;)

Jiminimonka
December 23rd, 2020, 23:08
Tried on a clean CoC install - and dragging chase to the combat tracker still throws an error

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "ct/scripts/ct.lua"]:251: copyNode: Destination node can not be the same as or a child of the source node

damned
December 24th, 2020, 00:17
Ok try this.

Open Chase tool from the campaign tools on the RHS
Create a Chase
Name: Farmer Joe
Places: 9
Hit the Edit Icon and add 2 Hazards
Bull, Dodge, Before 4
Fence, Dex, Before 6
Place one or more PCs (and NPCs) into the CT
Drag the Chase into the CT
Click the Chase Icon at the top of the screen if everyone is in the chase or just on those actors that are in the chase
Advance the actors along the steps as per their Move Roll until they hit a Hazard and then Roll Play the Hazard etc

Jiminimonka
December 24th, 2020, 01:51
Ok try this.

Open Chase tool from the campaign tools on the RHS
Create a Chase
Name: Farmer Joe
Places: 9
Hit the Edit Icon and add 2 Hazards
Bull, Dodge, Before 4
Fence, Dex, Before 6
Place one or more PCs (and NPCs) into the CT
Drag the Chase into the CT
Click the Chase Icon at the top of the screen if everyone is in the chase or just on those actors that are in the chase
Advance the actors along the steps as per their Move Roll until they hit a Hazard and then Roll Play the Hazard etc

Did that, no error comes up but the Chase is not getting added to the CT.

It's late here so I will respond again tomorrow.

damned
December 24th, 2020, 02:32
Did you do this step?

Jiminimonka
December 24th, 2020, 10:32
Did you do this step?

Did that now and it works. Thanks.

Wouldn't some response in the CT or in chat be helpful or is that outside the scope of FG currently?

A video showing this would help. I might knock one up shortly.

Jiminimonka
December 24th, 2020, 13:49
OK, working on a video but I might as well make it a complete one.

Added it all to the CT - got the Chase bar appearing for all the participants. What do I do with the little running man figure? It appears when I click on it and I can move it around 3 spaces at a time, but is none of that automated?

So when a player succeeds they move along one step? If they do an extreme success they move along one but get a speed boost, and failing gives them a speed penalty.

damned
December 24th, 2020, 14:05
There is a whole chapter on Chase rules in the rulebook. It is best you read that and follow the examples within.

Jiminimonka
December 27th, 2020, 22:15
I know the examples show everything 2 dots apart in the Chase chapter, but wouldn't tension be increased for the players if you could place a pursuers just one step behind on the CT?

Video coming along nicely. I will drop a link once it's complete.

Jiminimonka
January 22nd, 2021, 13:25
OK - here is a quick video on the Combat Tracker and Chase Mechanics for Call of Cthulhu 7e - hopefully it's clear enough.

https://youtu.be/lV8LQ33V_0c

Ludd_G
January 24th, 2021, 22:41
Excellent video, thanks loads for this!

And also damned for all the great coding work as well!

pralix1138
February 5th, 2021, 17:53
Has anyone tried to run a car chase? A foot chase seems to work well within FGU, but I have a car chase coming up in our next session, and I'm not quite sure how to make that work. Right now, I have it on paper and will probably use it that way. I can't find out how to add vehicles to a chase. I'm not even sure if it's possible. Anybody have any tips?

Jiminimonka
February 5th, 2021, 18:05
Its the same - if you click on the little running men symbol under the character portrait in the combat tracker it changes into a car and the speed check will use Drive skill for the roll.

pralix1138
February 5th, 2021, 18:13
Its the same - if you click on the little running men symbol under the character portrait in the combat tracker it changes into a car and the speed check will use Drive skill for the roll.

Well, I'll be. That was easy! Thank you!

NickT
February 17th, 2021, 13:55
I also have problems with The Chase. NPCs calculate MOV correctly (although there is no way I can put an NPC in a vehicle;>()
But when I instigate a chase with PCs they always have a MOV rating of 12 if on foot and 6 if in a vehicle. This is regardless of the MOV value displayed on the character sheet or the MOV value of any vehicle allocated to them.

Just watched Jiminimonka's video, very useful, but it has one minor error, you cannot use push rolls in a chase ;>(

Jiminimonka's video didn't seem to have this problem, could it be a recent bug, or am I missing something glaringly obvious again?

Also for vehicle chases Speed check seems to be using base 20% drive auto not the final value after skill points added.

Jiminimonka
February 17th, 2021, 16:03
Big update yesterday to the way all rulesets are implemented, maybe CoC needs an update?

NickT
February 17th, 2021, 16:12
Certainly looks like it needs an overhaul ;>) it is coming up with a slew of error messages, even after I uploaded the new Morecore.pak.

Moon Wizard
February 17th, 2021, 18:04
If you are getting specific errors, then please post the logs, so we can see the errors to resolve them. (Type /console in chat entry; then press Compile Logs button.)

I just pushed one hot fix for adding characters to the CT causing a script error.

Please provide the logs for any others; though you may want to disable extensions first to make sure those are not the cause.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
February 17th, 2021, 18:25
it is coming up with a slew of error messages, even after I uploaded the new Morecore.pak.
The Call of Cthulhu ruleset doesn't use MoreCore.

damned
February 17th, 2021, 20:50
I also have problems with The Chase. NPCs calculate MOV correctly (although there is no way I can put an NPC in a vehicle;>()
But when I instigate a chase with PCs they always have a MOV rating of 12 if on foot and 6 if in a vehicle. This is regardless of the MOV value displayed on the character sheet or the MOV value of any vehicle allocated to them.

Just watched Jiminimonka's video, very useful, but it has one minor error, you cannot use push rolls in a chase ;>(

Jiminimonka's video didn't seem to have this problem, could it be a recent bug, or am I missing something glaringly obvious again?

Also for vehicle chases Speed check seems to be using base 20% drive auto not the final value after skill points added.

Hi NickT

PCs and NPCs seem to be loading correctly for me but Vehicle speed isnt loading properly.
I will look into that ASAP.

NickT
February 17th, 2021, 22:49
Sorry I thought CoC used Morecore as a base.
OK the latest update for Coc/FGU (about 19:40 UTC+0) seems to have corrected the PCs/ NPC problem I had, but I can confirm that the Vehicles are still strange in that
1.The MOV is left blank and the actions have the same number as the foot chase supplied.
2. The Speed check is still using base "Drive Auto " rather than the characters "Drive Auto".
Also is there any way to put an NPC in a vehicle for a chase?
Thanks for jumping on this so quickly it is much appreciated ;>)

Jiminimonka
February 18th, 2021, 01:20
Also is there any way to put an NPC in a vehicle for a chase?
Thanks for jumping on this so quickly it is much appreciated ;>)

Same way you put PC in a vehicle - click the running man icon on the NPC in the combat tracker, turns into a car.

NickT
February 20th, 2021, 21:42
Yeah but the PC character sheet has an option in the inventory page for the details of a car, and it is here that the combat tracker picks up the MOV etc, there is no equivalent I can see on an NPC sheet

damned
February 20th, 2021, 23:44
ianmward and I are looking at what changes might be done to NPCs to better support them in vehicles.

Magnimost
July 16th, 2021, 17:18
Thanks for the video, that was very welcome and necessary to make sense of the UI.

Is the idea that each red foot icon on the CT means one MOV? So you'd move each toon 8 red icons if their MOV is 8?

How do I move the PC/NPC icons further to the right than what's visible on the tracker?

Is there a way to get the toons to move automatically, or do they need to be dragged manually?

It would be clearer if there were only spaces where you can move to. Now there are black and red foot icons, but apparently only the red ones denote a space.

What does "Act" in CT mean? What about "Places" in Chase menu?

ianmward
July 22nd, 2021, 06:42
Hi Magnimost,

The chase module in the Combat Tracker is just automating the Chase Rules as described in Chapter 7 of the Core Rulebook.

The red feet are the spots on the paper version and the black feet are where the obstacles go.

As per the rules, each turn, each character gets a number of actions equal to 1+(difference in mov between that character and the slowest character), so the slowest character gets 1 action and a character with a MOV 2 higher would get 3 actions.
For each action, they can move forward 1 space, initiate an attack, cast as spell, perform some other action, such as picking a lock.

Act is the number of actions that character gets, Places is the number of spots on the page.

I found the examples in the rulebook explained the way it works quite well, so I recommend you take a look there and come back for clarification, if needed.

Ian

Magnimost
April 30th, 2022, 20:15
Hi Magnimost,

The chase module in the Combat Tracker is just automating the Chase Rules as described in Chapter 7 of the Core Rulebook.

The red feet are the spots on the paper version and the black feet are where the obstacles go.

As per the rules, each turn, each character gets a number of actions equal to 1+(difference in mov between that character and the slowest character), so the slowest character gets 1 action and a character with a MOV 2 higher would get 3 actions.
For each action, they can move forward 1 space, initiate an attack, cast as spell, perform some other action, such as picking a lock.

Act is the number of actions that character gets, Places is the number of spots on the page.

I found the examples in the rulebook explained the way it works quite well, so I recommend you take a look there and come back for clarification, if needed.

Ian

This was helpful, thanks. How do I move the PC/NPC icons further to the right than what's visible on the tracker? Depending on the screen size there are only a few spaces available.