PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelmed with rules content during a module

pdzoch
December 23rd, 2020, 16:08
I may not be managing my content very well, but I'd like to ask everyone else how they are doing it.

I am running several different campaigns at the moment, and in each one I am always having a hard time finding the things I need.

Each campaign has its own module, so that is not the problem.

I load up only the adventure in play at the time for each campaign, so that is also not the problem.

The problem is all the rules content I have loaded up so I can reference the right rule for each character, NPC, spell, or item.

But now, when I open up my maps and images, there are tons of images, maps, and misc content from all the rulebooks I have loaded up.

I try to keep my adventure specific content organized under the same folder, but there is still a lot of stuff to sort through.

Is there any way to "turn off" some of the content in a rulebook without breaking the links they have with the rule items?

LordEntrails
December 23rd, 2020, 16:26
No way to turn off some content within a rule book.

Somethings I do,
- Using the group filters; for instance, when I open maps, I will change the group filter from all to current chapter of the module so I only see those maps.
- Create a Story entry that I prep before the upcoming game session with the links that I think I will need for that next session
- Place links to rules I refer to regularly (like conditions) in the hotbar
- Relax, often times if I can't remember a rule, I don't look it up. I may just say something like "Not sure, but let's run it this way for tonight unless someone else wants to look up the rule." Now, I do have 40 years experience, but that might hinder more than help because many rules are different between the editions and can confuse me!

Jiminimonka
December 23rd, 2020, 16:27
You can use the drop down menu at the top of images, stories etc., and pick the specific adventure or module you are using and narrow down the list of "stuff"

EDIT: What Lord Entrails said above :)

pdzoch
December 23rd, 2020, 16:52
Yep -- The folder filter is my primary means. Except when I forgot to add my adventure specific content into the adventure folder. Then I have to hunt for it in the "uncategorized" which had more other stuff from the rulebooks and modules than I expected. I'll get better at it.

Moon Wizard
December 23rd, 2020, 16:57
There should not be any module content in (Uncategorized) unless you moved it there. All records for a module are placed in a category with the module name by default (if one is not already defined). Only local campaign material not placed in a category should be in (Uncategorized) by default.

Regards,
JPG

Mytherus
December 23rd, 2020, 19:31
I also group items within folders to hide stuff i dont need atvm. I create almost OCD level story entries with links to important points in the module. I then throw the link of te story entry to my hot bar.

damned
December 23rd, 2020, 22:08
Do not look up Player rules. It is the players job to know what they can do and what their abilities etc are.
Maybe have a look at the Sharing is Caring extension (if you are playing 5E) and when a player uses an ability you are not 100% confident they have interpreted correctly, have them click the chat Icon on the ability/spell/feat/etc and it will send the data to chat and you can all read it and make a ruling.

pdzoch
December 23rd, 2020, 23:51
Do not look up Player rules. It is the players job to know what they can do and what their abilities etc are.
Maybe have a look at the Sharing is Caring extension (if you are playing 5E) and when a player uses an ability you are not 100% confident they have interpreted correctly, have them click the chat Icon on the ability/spell/feat/etc and it will send the data to chat and you can all read it and make a ruling.

Thanks for that tip!