PDA

View Full Version : Linking to Steam - Invalid Product Code

Asokn
December 23rd, 2020, 11:19
Hi,

I've just purchased FGU via the website. When I try to activate the game on Steam I copy and paste in the product code and it says that it is invalid. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Trenloe
December 23rd, 2020, 11:36
Welcome to the FG forums!

SmiteWorks send codes to Steam every few weeks, until then you won't be able to activate on Steam. More info here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/558755530621472814/

Asokn
December 23rd, 2020, 16:43
Thanks for the reply.

That's very odd, the developers probably shouldn't sell Steam codes that are invalid for the first few weeks after purchase but I guess I will just hold on and see what happens.

Moon Wizard
December 23rd, 2020, 16:56
They aren't Steam codes; but our own license key system codes. We actually have to load into Steam via a special API for third party key support. Steam has not automated this system; so we actually have to coordinate with a live person, which is why it only happens every few weeks.

Steam codes are a completely different beast.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
December 23rd, 2020, 16:58
Thanks for the reply.

That's very odd, the developers probably shouldn't sell Steam codes that are invalid for the first few weeks after purchase but I guess I will just hold on and see what happens.
The developers don’t sell Steam codes at all.

The keys come from Smiteworks and are immediately available to purchasers. Steam is also informed of the keys in use as Trenloe says but those are only passed to Steam every few weeks. Once Steam becomes aware that your key is valid you can activate the license on Steam.

You don’t need to activate the license at all on Steam to use it.

Also what Moon Wizard said :)

Jiminimonka
December 24th, 2020, 13:46
Hi,

I've just purchased FGU via the website. When I try to activate the game on Steam I copy and paste in the product code and it says that it is invalid. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

It's not a requirement to use Steam to play FGU - just download the installer from https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/FantasyGroundsUnity.php and run that. Adding it to Steam is an optional feature, maybe useful for getting discounts on DLC in sale seasons.