PDA

View Full Version : Translate official products for my own use

Terenor
December 23rd, 2020, 00:01
Hi there,

i bought the 5e Players handbook in the fantasy grounds store and own a copy of the real book in its german translation. how could i translate this for my own use only. I also have lost mine of phandelver and i can edit the included texts, but i assume thats because its an adventure.

Thanks for your help

Zacchaeus
December 23rd, 2020, 00:08
Other that typing the PHB directly into FG there isn’t an easy way to get a reference manual into fantasy grounds.

Terenor
December 23rd, 2020, 00:14
SO i can't use the PHP i bought as a baseline but i could create a new module and get the stuff of the german book in by hand? how would i start such a process?

ChrisRevocateur
December 23rd, 2020, 00:20
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49104-How-do-I-manually-add-my-physical-books

Terenor
December 23rd, 2020, 00:24
Thank you

LordEntrails
December 23rd, 2020, 04:21
You can input anything into FG for your own use. It's just that there is not an easy way to do so, and translations prove extra challenging because many of the automation features in FG rely upon specific text strings or even feature names, in English.

I suggest when possible for things like actions, features, abilities, spells, etc that you keep the English, and add translated text to the end of the entry. That way you and the players can still read in German, but FG sees the English and can do it's parsing as needed.