PDA

View Full Version : IS there an example of use of pregens in a ruleset or module (CoreRPG/MoreCore/AD&D/5

Varsuuk
December 22nd, 2020, 07:52
Looking to use "pregens" both for "preset sets of rolls/stats" in a MoreCore extension ruleset which would later let me use it for actual pregens too.

I've seen and used examples of pregens with SavageWorlds - but figured if could get a closer to d20 system version I could glom it quicker.

Trenloe
December 22nd, 2020, 11:11
Pregens are usually PC records (normal player character records) exported into a module from a campaign and available to then import into a new campaign (from the module they're in).

What specific examples are you looking for?

Varsuuk
December 22nd, 2020, 17:44
I thought I remembered seeing a “pregen” type entry when clicking on a module in the modules window. This would be going back quite some time, I remember back then someone, probably JPG, helped out by giving the format needed to use it (previously only in Smiteworks products)

So, I expected several of the 5E modules products would have the entries but I missed them when looking.

In savage worlds, when opening the character selection window, they have a pregen button that opens another dialogue listing the Pregens

I’m just wondering which product of 5e supplied them for people to have originally asked about how to do it when I can’t see any now.

When done with home stuff and get time on FG will export the characters to see if is what I mean. I was more confused not seeing any pregen type listing in any of the modules. Which is fine, the originals probably didn’t include them (I have the modules collection but not things like Stranger Things which in the physical boxed set has Pregens so assume FG does too but CD I don’t own)

Moon Wizard
December 22nd, 2020, 19:01
There is an export option for Pregenerated Characters in the export dialog that will export any PCs in the campaign as pregens. However, as you've mentioned, pregens aren't as common these days, so it's rare to see them used. (This is very common in other one-short friendly systems, such as Savage Worlds.)

Regards,
JPG

Varsuuk
December 27th, 2020, 07:18
Thanks - I was able to export the sample character sheet.
I put it in a module and was able to click from module window: "pregenerated characters" and see them.

I was trying to add it to the normal "Characters" window as another access point. I tried this:

<template name="charselect_button_pregens">
<button_text_sm>
<anchored width="80" height="24">
<top offset="18" />
<left offset="18" />
</anchored>
<state textres="library_recordtype_label_pregen" />
<script>
function onButtonPress()
Interface.openWindow("pregencharselect", "MCSWWB.pregencharsheet")
end
</script>
</button_text_sm>
</template>

MCSWWB being the name of the .mod containing the:

<pregencharsheet>
<category name="" baseicon="0" decalicon="0">
<id-00001>

pregen data.

I get a window with the right title and elements but no data (ie: none of the pregens)

Trenloe
December 27th, 2020, 13:27
Module database paths need @<module name> after the database path reference. Refer to the details in the Wiki here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996644468/Ruleset+-+Database#Database-Paths

Varsuuk
December 27th, 2020, 18:30
Jeezus, I hate my memory - I’ve done the @ref many times in the past but after the project from March to Dec, my brain was wiped, it seems.

Varsuuk
December 27th, 2020, 19:26
Trenloe,

And once my memory got jarred by you - I remembered:
Interface.openWindow("pregencharselect", "pregencharsheet@*")

By using the @* module selector, I am able to load pregens regardless of what the module containing them is called (useful because the thing I am working on will be used for one of 3 systems sharing rules but with different data)

I haven't tried having multiples .mod open with this - will try it later and hoping it is just a combination. Of note will be the <ID> for each pregen and I will see if I need to make them unique across the 3 modules. When I create pregens I usually change the ID-001etc thing to "<lord_biffle>" or whatever since it makes scanning for the right one easier in some tools than the ever repeating <id-00001>