PDA

View Full Version : To automize custom clerics domain

Vegard
December 21st, 2020, 22:08
Hi, this title may have been a bit confusing but I am trying something here. I am usually a DM in FG, but this time around I am given the opportunity to play a character.
Well, I've created (in cooperation with the DM) a remorseful death domain cleric. He is a warforged, and was originally created to be a healer (life domain) that could walk into the midst of the most horrific and brutal fights to heal people. But you know how it is. There are just so many dead people laying about, it was too tempting to just raise a few to help his own side. Well, his superiors did not like that, he got cast out and he fell into a life of assasinations and crime, eventually making his way into Faerun (in this story the different settings is just different universes in the multiverse), and was working as an assassin for the Zhentarim. But he miss his old life as a healer, the purpose it gave him and the great feeling of doing something good. So he has decided to repent, quit the Zhentarim (they did not dare to say no) and do some good for the world.

So this is my character technically:
He is a death domain cleric, but he just figures he gonna start somewhere to get his old life back, so every time he cast a domain-spell he will try to cast a spell from the life-domain. BUT he only has a 50/50 chance of actually casting the correct spell. The other is a corresponding (according to spell-lvl) spell from the death-domain. So. Basically, I need to throw a dice every time I cast a spell from the domain. 1-10 means death domain-spell, 11-20 means the intended life-domain spell. Is there any way to automize this process as a player? Or at the least make a table that can roll for me every time I try this?

Or is this just a bad and confusing idea that probably will end up not being that fun that I think it will?

Edit: Just to be clear, the intention for this is not to create a powerful character, rather having fun, especially with the roleplaying, with the concept of a remorseful death cleric trying so hard (but often fail) to be good. Technically I would argue this is a weaker character than a pure life or death-cleric.

Fear Grounds
December 21st, 2020, 22:26
He is a death domain cleric, but he just figures he gonna start somewhere to get his old life back, so every time he cast a domain-spell he will try to cast a spell from the life-domain. BUT he only has a 50/50 chance of actually casting the correct spell. The other is a corresponding (according to spell-lvl) spell from the death-domain. So. Basically, I need to throw a dice every time I cast a spell from the domain. 1-10 means death domain-spell, 11-20 means the intended life-domain spell. Is there any way to automize this process as a player? Or at the least make a table that can roll for me every time I try this?

Just off the top of my head,
I'd say to create a different table for each of your Domain Spells. Each table would then have the life version, and the death version of the spell listed. As there would be only two entries per table, that gives you your 50/50 chance at succeeding in casting the wanted spell. Set the result of the roll to chat so that everyone can see the chaos coming their way. I would also save each of the spell tables to the hotbar for quick access to each one.

LordEntrails
December 22nd, 2020, 03:50
I think you'll have to approach it with the suggestion of Fear Grounds. You might also be able to do something similar with story tables, but I suspect those are just going to add more work and end up calling individual tables anyway.

You could also do it as a single table and then have to manually lookup the corresponding spell, would be less setup, but more work during the game.

Vegard
December 22nd, 2020, 14:57
That seems like a good idea, but the option to create a new table is not visible for me as a player. Any ideas?

And thanks btw :D

Zacchaeus
December 22nd, 2020, 15:00
Your DM will need to create it and share it with you since players don't have the option to create stuff. Or start a campaign of your own and create the table in that then export it to a module that you can open in the campaign (your DM would need to give you permission to use the module).

Vegard
December 22nd, 2020, 18:06
That was uneccecary complicated, but it worked :)

Thanks!