PDA

View Full Version : Small bug - Rippers Resurrected (FGU)

Springroll
December 21st, 2020, 06:14
Found a small bug in (text) Rippers Resurrected, 42176 this in an error I've noticed in several FGU Savage Worlds Modules, it's fine in FGC though.

Springroll
December 21st, 2020, 09:55
And the same problem in Deadlands: Lost Colony 42185

PikeWake
December 21st, 2020, 11:30
That is a known problem with character encoding. See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54871-Font-Character-issues-in-FGU

The Savage Worlds modules seem to be written using encodings for quotes and other characters that are not in the character set used by FGU.
The only suggested fix is for the modules to be updated with the correct character encoding.

Springroll
December 21st, 2020, 11:36
That is a known problem with character encoding. See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54871-Font-Character-issues-in-FGU

The Savage Worlds modules seem to be written using encodings for quotes and other characters that are not in the character set used by FGU.
The only suggested fix is for the modules to be updated with the correct character encoding.

Thanks, been away from the FG forums and FG, do you know if we have a "Code"-snip that we can add manually to the modules in question?

PikeWake
December 21st, 2020, 11:53
Afraid not.
I edit the text by hand in FG some times, NPC speech boxes for instance, just before sending them to chat. You can usually see from the context what characters are missing.
Other then that I guess only a search and replace on the module material would do the trick. Since the text is packed in mod-files it's nothing you can do yourself, though.

fubeca150
December 21st, 2020, 15:49
The mod files are just zip files. The ripper modules aren't in the vault so you can fix them yourself.

Talyn
December 21st, 2020, 16:32
It's a known issue. We have to remember to go thru and 'downgrade' all the characters to the equivalent of ASCII art because there's no common ground between Classic and Unity. If we make the characters work in Unity, they stop working in Classic and vice-versa. So until Classic is retired, welcome to DOS! :(

Moon Wizard
December 21st, 2020, 21:18
I have done a pass on the RR and DLLC core books to fix up the encoding. If you see any errors, just let us know.

Regards,
JPG

PikeWake
December 22nd, 2020, 22:55
First of all: This is why I love the FG forums: Anyone with any kind of issue can bring it up, and in a few hours someone who can actually do anything about it shows up and takes action.
As for the other modules that still have this problem: Taking Talyn's comment into account this is not a major issue. During four of our weekly sessions after migrating to FGU, I've probably lost less than ten minutes of game time hand-editing text boxes. Missed a few, but the players aren't complaining.
It would be great if I didn't have to do that for the DLR modules, but it's not on top of my priority list.

Talyn
December 22nd, 2020, 23:59
I think I did the majority of my projects already but I have the last two weeks of January off so I'll give my entire lineiup a quick pass-thru and double-check all the characters. I might have time to get to it before then, we'll see.