PDA

View Full Version : Error on shared items

Milmoor
December 20th, 2020, 20:16
I'm handing out my first magic items. They are from the DMG mostly, also some homebrew.

Boots of Elvenkind, Saddle of the Cavalier, Lantern of Revealing, Pearl of Power

I put links in the MOTD for them to check. When clicking on that, the player gets an error:
Unable to create window with data source (item: charcheet.id-00018.inventorylist.id00016)
Unable to create window with data source (item: charcheet.id-00026.inventorylist.id00024)
Unable to create window with data source (item: charcheet.id-00013.inventorylist.id00023)
Unable to create window with data source (item: charcheet.id-00013.inventorylist.id00014)

I did share the items (P). So I'm missing a step. My homebrew items can be opened. Do I have to drag them to the individual characters? I'm still a bit confused how sharing works.

Zacchaeus
December 20th, 2020, 22:10
You have to share the items. Usually that would mean dropping the items into the party sheet and distributing them from there or dropping them directly into the character inventories.

Milmoor
December 21st, 2020, 09:16
Right clicking and choosing share is not enough? What is the difference between those routes?

Zacchaeus
December 21st, 2020, 10:31
I suspect that what you are doing is trying to share things directly from the DMG rather than making copies of the items first (making treasure parcels or adding to the party sheet automatically create copies).

Yes, you can right click and share magic items, although extremely unusual this will work. (So if you have shared the items your players should find them in the items list). You've added a complexity however and have added links to the MotD extension. Did you also make the links shareable on the story entry and did you make copies of the items first and share the copies?

Milmoor
December 21st, 2020, 11:01
Indeed I am sharing directly from the DMG. I did not need a copy (so I thought), since I'm using the default items. So it's advisable to always make a copy of items if I want to link to it? I also put it in their inventory. Those links would have worked? I'll try with a local client. For science!

Trenloe
December 21st, 2020, 12:18
The errors listed in post #1 relate to links to items in the inventory of a player character.

When an item is added to a character sheet a copy if made of the original item (so that the data specific to that item and PC can be changed as needed). By default, only the GM and the player who owns the PC has access to these records. As you then added the links from the inventory to a story entry, only the GM or the owning player could access the data from those links. I see links from three different character sheets (based off the messages). The player that owns the PC would be able to access the records from the shared links, but other players can't.

As you'd already added them to the PC's inventory then you could have shared them after being added to the inventory (as this is now a new record - a copy of the original). You could individually share the inventory records to allow all players to access them. Or, the simplest method, would have been to right-click on one of the links in the MOTD story entry and select "Make All Links Shareable".

Milmoor
December 21st, 2020, 13:11
Ah, that helps.

I linked the copies from the individual sheets. So others can't open them.
I tried to fix this by sharing the originals. Those aren't connected any more, so that didn't work.
If you link to an item in a story, it doesn't mean they can open the item. You'll have to share either the item itself, or the link to it. Those are different things. A bit more info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62129-Make-all-links-shareable

Trenloe
December 21st, 2020, 13:18
I linked the copies from the individual sheets. So others can't open them.
I tried to fix this by sharing the originals. Those aren't connected any more, so that didn't work.
If you link to an item in a story, it doesn't mean they can open the item. You'll have to share either the item itself, or the link to it. Those are different things. A bit more info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62129-Make-all-links-shareable

That's a good summary. :)