PDA

View Full Version : adding extra damage dice that don't multiply on a crit

rickyhunt
December 20th, 2020, 18:35
I have recently run across a few class abilities and monster abilities that add extra dice on a crit, without them doubling on the crit. For example the champion ability Instrument of Zeal. It only adds the extra damage die on a crit while using Blade of Justice or Retributive Strike. So I can't just add deadly to the weapon, but I don't know of a way to add "deadly" to the effect. I can't just roll a second die after the fact, because it would apply any physical resistance a second time. I guess I could make it typeless damage and assume that the physical damage overcame the resistance, but I would prefer to add it at the time of the toll, if possible. Is there a way to do this?

Trenloe
December 21st, 2020, 00:22
Use a DMG effect with the "critical" damage type added - this will then only occur on a critical roll.

So, if the attack did 1d6 extra slashing damage on a critical, add the following effect in the CT when appropriate: DMG: 1d6 slashing, critical

rickyhunt
December 21st, 2020, 18:08
Thanks, that's just what I was looking for. I just didn't make the connection in the damage types on the wiki.

Maspalio
September 21st, 2021, 11:48
Hi Trenloe,

Is there a way to add this DMG: 1d6, critical for all critical rolls in my extension (5E)?

I guess this is in manager_action_damage.lua, right after -- Add critical dice by clause (line 341).

Thanks for your help

Trenloe
September 21st, 2021, 13:35
Hi Trenloe,

Is there a way to add this DMG: 1d6, critical for all critical rolls in my extension (5E)?

I guess this is in manager_action_damage.lua, right after -- Add critical dice by clause (line 341).

Thanks for your help
DMG: 1d6 critical also works as mentioned in post #2 in the 5E ruleset.

Dargos
September 24th, 2021, 23:18
Use a DMG effect with the "critical" damage type added - this will then only occur on a critical roll.

So, if the attack did 1d6 extra slashing damage on a critical, add the following effect in the CT when appropriate: DMG: 1d6 slashing, critical

Is there any way to create something like 1d4 persistent bleed, critical? If I create a new damage input or a new Weapon Effect like "Effect: 1 persistent bleed, critical", the "persistent bleed" works, but the "critical" not. If I create a Weapon Effect like "DMG: 1 persistent bleed, critical", the "critical" works, but "persistent bleed" don't...

Trenloe
September 24th, 2021, 23:42
Is there any way to create something like 1d4 persistent bleed, critical?
Not at present. You need to apply the effect manually or add a spell class section to the PC's action tab where you can add spell entries that contain effect actions that you can apply to targets as needed. Some info on using a spell class for effects/actions not related to spells is available in this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50802-Pathfinder-2-Drag-and-Drop-Actions-Powers-and-Spells&p=461029&viewfull=1#post461029

toastsniffer187
September 25th, 2021, 21:46
so like PERS: 1d4 bleed, critical doesnt work? Just was reading and asking.....or critical isnt a dmg type linked to PERS: yet?

Zacchaeus
September 25th, 2021, 21:53
Persistent damage is something that happens every round once it is applied - so it is divorced from any normal damage. If you want to apply persistent damage only when there has been a critical you'll need, as Trenloe points out above, to create an effect in the action tab and apply it after a crit has been scored.