PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 2E GM's, how viable is it to use the Kingmaker stuff for P2?

Larsenex
December 18th, 2020, 18:58
Greetings!

This is really for the Game Masters.

My group is pausing the Ashes campaign (I and the group are frustrated with the story). We all love the Pathfinder game and engine and I suggested we start a new group at lvl 1. Now after a year of playing about 2x or 3x a month the players want to diverge out and see how other classes play.

One suggested the Circus AP which I am seriously considering. I did want a more free form 'do what the hell you want' campaign but the limitation is everyone has to be good alignment (no murder hobos).

Another player suggested using the Kingmaker campaign and the Lost rivers ap. I am not familiar with it and realized it was first edition. Is this option viable? Has anyone had experience with this module? The suggesting player said it was a very fun campaign.

Suggestions are all open. I am not opposed to purchasing the ap's here on Smiteworks if it was not too much trouble to convert or use it in P2.

Is there a timeline discrepancy that needs fixing?

Hykim
December 18th, 2020, 23:17
So I can't directly comment, as I'm not familiar with the Kingmaker Campaign or the Lost Rivers AP.

That said, I am currently running the Reign of Winter AP, which is a PF1E AP, in 2E. Regarding running a 1E campaign using 2E, very doable. It does take a bit more work, since you have to do manual conversions of monsters and treasure, but all the maps, encounter placement and handouts/story are all intact and usable. You do need to use the Universal Module Extension to be able to load a PF1E module under PF2E rules, but so far that has been working well.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension

Daso
December 21st, 2020, 01:22
Kingmaker is currently being converted to the PF2 system: https://www.gameontabletop.com/cf194/kingmaker-10th-anniversary.html (not to fantasy grounds, but the heavy lifting will be done)

Sounds to me like you would benefit from making a homebrew game if you want a sandbox type game. It's a lot more work, but you and your players may enjoy that more.

For my info, what do you not like about the Age of Ashes AP? I was thinking of proposing it to one of my groups.

Larsenex
December 21st, 2020, 22:30
We are 3 modules into the ashes, players are 10th lvl. My single biggest grip was the 'leap' from AP2 to AP3.

Id be giving spoilers trying to explain. also several encounters were over tuned to the party they expected the players at both in AP1 and AP2.

Transbot9
December 23rd, 2020, 02:15
I'm a backer on Kingmaker for Pathfinder 2, and if the current schedule holds we're looking at summer 2021 at the earliest to get our fulfillment. Probably closer to Gencon in August or later. I don't expect an official Fantasy Grounds release until sometime 2022, because they are adding a lot. The core book is as big as the Pathfinder 2 Core Rule Book, and that doesn't include the NPC/Companion book. There are brand new kingdom rules. A lot of stuff from Owlcat Game's version is getting 'ported back into table top.

That being said, it's worth taking a look at the Kingmaker AP PDFs for how to structure an open campaign. I'd also suggest grabbing a few Pathfinder Society scenarios that sound interesting, because you can always pull an encounter or situation really quickly when the players get off the rails.