PDA

View Full Version : Alone Against the Dark

RustyInRT
December 18th, 2020, 05:09
Capitalization!

I know it's a small and picky thing, but this title has been out for 2 years so obviously if no one asks it's not going to get fixed. "Alone Against the Dark" is the title of the adventure/module and should therefore be capitalized anywhere the phrase refers to the adventure/module itself. Seeing it in my Library and module list otherwise sets my OCD alarms clanging. It even appears in the shop preview screenshots that way.

MBM, I know you are busy on Traveller and I am a big fan of that ruleset and I consider that much more in-depth and important work than a mere capitalization adjustment, but when you get a chance, can you fix this please?

Trenloe
December 18th, 2020, 09:28
I'm curious... where does this standard from?

In Chaosium products (based off a quick review) they use bold, not capitals to refer to itself or other products. And none of the other CoC adventures in FG do this - so making one in all capitals will make it even more jarring to the eye.

RustyInRT
December 18th, 2020, 18:11
Hmm. I really didn't think this would be a request that I would have to defend particularly against Trenloe, and my apologies if I didn't make myself clear, but a simple Google search will find common rules of capitalization.

This one comes from https://www.grammarly.com/blog/capitalization-rules/

"The capitalization rules for titles of books, movies, and other works vary a little between style guides. In general, you should capitalize the first word, all nouns, all verbs (even short ones, like is), all adjectives, and all proper nouns. That means you should lowercase articles, conjunctions, and prepositions—however, some style guides say to capitalize conjunctions and prepositions that are longer than five letters."

Please note that I didn't request the title be put in all caps, merely that it be capitalized properly. I'm sure if you have another look at the screenshot I included you will see what I mean. You know, Alone Against the Dark.

Trenloe
December 18th, 2020, 19:51
Ah, my mistake. I thought you wanted the whole title in capitals - i.e. "ALONE AGAINST THE DARK", which would have been a bit weird. But on reading again (thanks for your patience with the explanation) I can see that wasn't what you were asking at all. Sorry!

Seraph1m
January 14th, 2021, 02:37
How did everyone manage the calendar? I looked online for a printout or something to track by pen and paper but cannot locate.

Jiminimonka
January 14th, 2021, 14:09
How did everyone manage the calendar? I looked online for a printout or something to track by pen and paper but cannot locate.

I don't know what you are referring to, but FG has a calendar built in - Load the Smiteworks Calendar Module and pick the calendar for the world you are in.

RustyInRT
January 15th, 2021, 04:17

The best (read easiest since I own the pdf) I could find was in the original pdf. It looks the same as the images located under the 0.10 Story entry "About Time" in the module but is of a higher resolution so more suitable for printing out. I found the calendar images in the module to be of too low a resolution to be useful. Practically unreadable. So printing those two calendars from the pdf out and tracking by hand was the best solution I could come up with. An automated tick box or something of the sort within FG would be useful, but unfortunately nothing like that exists as far as I know.