PDA

View Full Version : Question about Line of Sight in Fantasy Grounds Unity and Darkness

YouWinAFREEiPOD
December 18th, 2020, 03:11
Is there a way for FGU to intuitively show players only what they can see (or more importantly what they cannot see) in low-light or dark conditions?

I am running Storm King's Thunder for my players using the 5E D&D ruleset and am close to the point in the story in which they'll be entering the "Dripping Caves". Testing the map myself with a second FGU install, I notice that even characters whose race don't have Darkvision can see perfectly well and from all the way from one side of the cave to the other. Enemies and even the features of the cave itself are revealed in full view as long as they have unobstructed LOS, even when they should not be able to see these things in the dark.

Is there any way, be it through built-in functionality or from the work of an extension, that the extent my players' visions can be intelligently illustrated to them on a person by person basis, becoming more or less effective with variables like their selected race / if said race has Darkvision as a trait or equipping a torch / casting a Light spell?

I would rather not have to constantly do the work of drawing and hiding and redrawing a mask for every single step of the encounter, especially when some may see better or worse than others.

Sulimo
December 18th, 2020, 03:33
Not yet, but look over here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64462-Super-Secret-Sneak-Preview-of-Lighting-and-Vision-Shhhh-don-t-tell-Carl-and-John).

YouWinAFREEiPOD
December 18th, 2020, 03:53
Not yet, but look over here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64462-Super-Secret-Sneak-Preview-of-Lighting-and-Vision-Shhhh-don-t-tell-Carl-and-John).
Well that looks extremely promising. Hopefully I won't have to jimmy-rig a solution to my problem for long. Thanks for the info.

LordEntrails
December 18th, 2020, 05:34
You can combine a combination of LOS and Mask until vision and light sources are available.

damned
December 18th, 2020, 06:47
If they dont have a light source dont share the map with them...

WindrunnerCGG
December 18th, 2020, 14:58
Or just don’t put their token on the map. Although not sharing is probably better so those who can see also can see the sightless person on the map. Either way, it is going to be cool when dynamic lighting is available, but there are multiple easy approaches available to you in order to manage it even with the current capabilities.