PDA

View Full Version : Archery Feats ~ How do you run them for an NPC

dellanx
December 17th, 2020, 03:37
Clustered Shots - pain: When you use a full-attack action to make multiple ranged weapon attacks against the same opponent, total the damage from all hits before applying that opponent’s damage reduction.

Manyshot - When making a full-attack action with a bow, your first attack fires two arrows. If the attack hits, both arrows hit. Apply precision-based damage (such as sneak attack) and critical hit damage only once for this attack. Damage bonuses from using a composite bow with a high Strength bonus apply to each arrow, as do other damage bonuses, such as a ranger’s favored enemy bonus. Damage reduction and resistances apply separately to each arrow.

How do you deal with these two feats?

Make extra damage block?
shot test (1d4+7 plus 1d6 fire/19-20 plus 1d4+7 plus 1d6 fire/19-20)

Make a spell damage effect?

Some other choice?

Asgurgolas
December 17th, 2020, 04:18
Clustered shot: just ask the player to add the monster's DR as bonus damage (if the monster reduces 10, just add 10 to the damage he or she rolls)

Manyshot: just roll damage twice, but without counting effects such as sneak attack and criticals on your second roll and you're done XD

at least, that's what I do :o

tahl_liadon
December 17th, 2020, 14:54
Clustered shot: just ask the player to add the monster's DR as bonus damage (if the monster reduces 10, just add 10 to the damage he or she rolls)

1) clustered shot doesn't overcome, i.e. ignore, damage reduction.

you don't add damage back if creature has dr... it just ignores first 10 points of total damage.
the goal here is to sum up all the damages, then take 10 off so that each shot is not taken as a single damage.

so, if 3 shots would do individual damage with dr 10: 4 = 0 damage; 11 = 1 damage; 8 = 0 damage,
then setting up as 3 single shots would mean the whole barrage did only 1 pt of damage.

...as opposed to: 4 + 11 + 8 = 23, then subtract 10 = 13 pts of damage. (this is same idea as pummeling style feat for melee)

i would set up duplicate weapon but with total number dice of damage plus special damage type(s) bonus.

(btw, as gm, i don't like to let players know what dr amount is).

2) combining this with manyshot, there's not a good way to automate this that i can think of right now. it would have to be done manually.
- do clustered shot (recommended method above) as usual.
- look at the first 2 shots; if one missed, add back hp from both those 2 damages.

yea, these special damage feats vs dr is a pain in the a$$.

tahl_liadon
December 17th, 2020, 15:49
here is the setup (as a spell, as opposed to weapon) for a brawler who has both both jabbing and pummeling style feats.

ignore jabbing style, but as you can see pummeling style is set up with different damage scenarios.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42091

dellanx
December 17th, 2020, 16:28
here is the setup (as a spell, as opposed to weapon) for a brawler who has both both jabbing and pummeling style feats.

ignore jabbing style, but as you can see pummeling style is set up with different damage scenarios.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42091

I was more or less thinking this, but critical hits complicate the total damage.

Kelrugem
December 17th, 2020, 16:35
Maybe use effects instead. Roll all the needed attacks first for whatever action, count hits and crits, then for each additional arrow apply a damage effect like DMG: d6 piercing, and for each allowed crit an additional DMG: 2d6 piercing, critical (adjust the dice depending on the weapon) :) That should handle such "multiple arrows at once" thingies correctly when it is about damage automation, and you can control the correct amount of sneak attack damages and crit damages :) (also think about pressing shift while then rolling damage when you want a crit, because when the crit was not with the last attack roll, then it may not be rolled as crit. Or use the crit button in the modifiers window)

Add also extra effects for sneaks, when needed.

Put all those effects to expire on the next action, then you get rid of them immediately :)

In that way you just need one attack and damage, and then just one button for each separate effect needed; the player clicks then on the effect buttons as often as they need that corresponding effect :)

Asgurgolas
December 17th, 2020, 16:56
[FONT=Arial]
(btw, as gm, i don't like to let players know what dr amount is).

I'd be the same, but FG doesn't agree (when a player rolls for 15 damage and it says "partially resisted, inflicted 5 damage" then it's easy to figure out DR = 10)

dellanx
December 17th, 2020, 17:03
Maybe use effects instead. Roll all the needed attacks first for whatever action, count hits and crits, then for each additional arrow apply a damage effect like DMG: d6 piercing, and for each allowed crit an additional DMG: 2d6 piercing, critical (adjust the dice depending on the weapon) :) That should handle such "multiple arrows at once" thingies correctly when it is about damage automation, and you can control the correct amount of sneak attack damages and crit damages :) (also think about pressing shift while then rolling damage when you want a crit, because when the crit was not with the last attack roll, then it may not be rolled as crit. Or use the crit button in the modifiers window)

Add also extra effects for sneaks, when needed.

Put all those effects to expire on the next action, then you get rid of them immediately :)

In that way you just need one attack and damage, and then just one button for each separate effect needed; the player clicks then on the effect buttons as often as they need that corresponding effect :)

I believe that would work!

P.S. My main concern is correct damage types

tahl_liadon
December 17th, 2020, 18:18
Maybe use effects instead.

ya, it's a matter of how many different ways to skin a cat at this point... whichever way, it's all painful X-D

Kelrugem
December 17th, 2020, 22:17
I'd be the same, but FG doesn't agree (when a player rolls for 15 damage and it says "partially resisted, inflicted 5 damage" then it's easy to figure out DR = 10)

You can adjust the settings in such a way that they should not be able to see the actual applied damage :)

Damage types should be correctly with that; just beware that with that approach I use one arrow damage button (so, one arrow already added, also one crit if it is a crit etc.), so, the number of needed effects is #arrows-1 roughly :D

ya, it's a matter of how many different ways to skin a cat at this point... whichever way, it's all painful X-D

Yeah, that's true, not easy to automate either; but with a bit exercise it does not slow down too much :D And clicking several buttons feels like "drawing an arrow out of the quiver" xD

dellanx
December 17th, 2020, 22:49

This may be tough:

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/hammer-the-gap-combat/

tahl_liadon
December 17th, 2020, 23:19
This may be tough:

it shouldn't be if you don't make is so X-D

assuming a pc is at like 8th or 9th level (and depending on class), it can get in 2-4 attacks per full-round action, correct?

assuming also pc would successfully hit, say max number of hits (like a monk's flurry), then it's just an additional 4 pts damage. gm would just manually add that (plus any crit bonus).

i wouldn't make it more complicated than that in terms of effects and automation. that's just my preference.

Kelrugem
December 17th, 2020, 23:27
This may be tough:

it shouldn't be if you don't make is so X-D

assuming a pc is at like 8th or 9th level (and depending on class), it can get in 2-4 attacks per full-round action, correct?

assuming also pc would successfully hit, say max number of hits (like a monk's flurry), then it's just an additional 4 pts damage. gm would just manually add that (plus any crit bonus).

i wouldn't make it more complicated than that in terms of effects and automation. that's just my preference.

yeah, for that recall that there is a mod box below the chat :D For this I would use that as tahl_liadon said :) (Of course, that feat just adds another exception: A fixed damage mod multiplied in a crit, grrr! :D)

dellanx
December 18th, 2020, 03:29
This may be tough:

thank you for all the suggestions. The levels are 27+, and the whole world hangs in the balance. I decided to make a spreadsheet that calculates effect and damage types.

Make a damage "or ranged (0+0)" thingy in the attack window and roll after adding the effect(s).

Added damage types and alignments

Here is the screenshot +1 and +2 weapons

Here is the screenshot +3 weapon

Here is the screenshot +4 weapon

Here is the screenshot +5 weapon

I guess if one had Cluster Shot a different effect would be made at bottom.

dellanx
December 18th, 2020, 12:58
I think other damage that is not multiplied may be added via regular extra separate effects. I edited the above version to include non-magical weapons and will add it tonight.

tahl_liadon
December 18th, 2020, 13:25
curious... per pf1 raw as far as i know it, material of an arrow (ammunition) can only be one type at a time at the time of applying damage.

also, "[silverseen] alchemical silvering process can't be applied to nonmetal items, and it doesn't work on rare metals such as adamantine, cold iron, and mithral."

i wonder what would allow multiple/all types -- silver, cold iron, and adamantine -- to be "active" simultaneously. unless this is house ruled.

dellanx
December 18th, 2020, 13:42
curious... per pf1 raw as far as i know it, material of an arrow (ammunition) can only be one type at a time at the time of applying damage.

also, "[silverseen] alchemical silvering process can't be applied to nonmetal items, and it doesn't work on rare metals such as adamantine, cold iron, and mithral."

i wonder what would allow multiple/all types -- silver, cold iron, and adamantine -- to be "active" simultaneously. unless this is house ruled.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities#TOC-Damage-Reduction

Overcoming DR
DR Type.............................................. ....Weapon Enhancement
--------------------------------------------------------Bonus Equivalent
Cold iron / silver------------------------------------------+3
Adamantine*....................................... ................ +4
Alignment-base.............................................. ..... +5

* Note that this does not give the ability to ignore hardness, like an actual adamantine weapon does.

tahl_liadon
December 18th, 2020, 14:56
ah, so the numeric enhancement automatically grants the material type. good to know.

dellanx
December 18th, 2020, 17:53
ah, so the numeric enhancement automatically grants the material type. good to know.

Yeah, learned that from one of my players a while back.

p.s. any damage effects that are multiplied would have to be added on combat tracker to determine these values. Then fire or cold damage, energy damage, bane, etc. may be added with the new effects. Do not add them to the damage total.

What do you guys think?

dellanx
December 19th, 2020, 01:06
I made some updates. Added a shot for haste. Add any damage and attack enhancements as effects in FG. Enter the bonus for the weapon, "0" for for masterwork or regular weapon, magic 1 to 6. Enter the damage bonus that is multiplied from the roll. Manyshot, Haste-Hammer Gap, Hammer the Gap that apply, then Cluster shot for total damage, if you have that feat and apply. I the cluster shot was a "critical" , it doubles the damage quantities. Add Bane, elemental damage etc. as effects.

dellanx
December 19th, 2020, 03:05
I cleaned up the spreadsheet, and added some logic in case shots are missed. If no damage is done the cumulative values for Hammer the Gap reset to zero. Only applicable effects show up for Hammer the Gap.

Kelrugem
December 20th, 2020, 04:52
I cleaned up the spreadsheet, and added some logic in case shots are missed. If no damage is done the cumulative values for Hammer the Gap reset to zero. Only applicable effects show up for Hammer the Gap.

dellanx
December 27th, 2020, 23:53

I think I missed extra attack from Mythic Abilities such as the Trickster Surprise Strike.

Surprise Strike (Ex)
As a swift action, you can expend one use of mythic power to make a melee attack or ranged attack against a target within 30 feet, in addition to any other attacks you make this round. When you make a surprise strike, the target is considered flat-footed regardless of any class features or abilities it might have, and you add your tier to the attack roll. Damage from this attack bypasses damage reduction.