PDA

View Full Version : Need help crafting a Rogue Mastermind racket custom action

rhollander10
December 16th, 2020, 00:08
The rogue class mastermind racket grants the following ability: "If you successfully identify a creature using Recall Knowledge, that creature is flat-footed against your attacks until the start of your next turn; if you critically succeed, it's flat-footed against your attacks for 1 minute."

I'm trying to craft an action that applies an effect to the rogue mastermind and one to his target, giving the target a -2 AC circumstance penalty against only that rogue and giving the rogue his 1d6 sneak attack against that target. My goal is to distinguish this effect from a regular flat-footed effect, since the target only becomes flat-footed to the rogue, not to everyone. The character's name is Yugar, so I'm calling this effect "Yugar-footed" to distinguish it. Note - I am not trying to automate anything to do with the Recall Knowledge part of this ability. I'll have the player apply this manually if/when he makes the successful Recall Knowledge check.

I tried the following two lines:

(Self) Mastermind Racket; IFT: CUSTOM(Yugar-footed); CA; DMG: 1d6 precision
(Target) Yugar-footed

This is successful in applying the 1d6 precision damage, but the target isn't suffering the -2 AC penalty. The "CA" (combat advantage) condition isn't having any effect. But I don't want to swap this for a general -2 AC circumstance penalty on the target, since that would affect all attackers. And I don't want to turn this into a +2 ATK circumstance bonus for the rogue, since that would unfairly penalize him if he has other circumstance bonuses to attack.

Any suggestions on how to craft this effect so only the rogue gets the benefit of the target's -2 AC circumstance penalty?

Thanks.

EDIT: I figured it out. I needed to drag the target button from the effect in the Combat Tracker to the target whose AC is being lowered. It's working correctly now (although it takes an additional step [dragging] that would be nice to eliminate if there's a way to do so).

rhollander10
December 16th, 2020, 01:03
In order to add value to this thread, here's my coding for the Predictable! level 4 rogue feat:

All these spell actions are set to 1 round and to expire at Start of Round.

TRGT/ALL Predictable
SELF/ALL CRIT; IFT: Custom(Predictable); AC: +2 circumstance
SELF/ROLL CRIT; IFT: Custom(Predictable); SAVE: +2 circumstance
SELF/ALL NORMAL; IFT: Custom(Predictable); AC: +1 circumstance
SELF/ROLL NORMAL; IFT: Custom(Predictable); SAVE: +1 circumstance
SELF/ALL CRITFAIL; IFT: Custom(Predictable); AC: -1 circumstance
SELF/ROLL CRITFAIL; IFT: Custom(Predictable); SAVE: -1 circumstance

Darkrite
December 16th, 2020, 19:28
You could try this:

(target) Predictable; IFT:CUSTOM(Mastermind); GRANTCA
(self) Mastermind; IFT:CUSTOM(Predictable); DMG: 1d6 precision

This works for me when I test it out.

rhollander10
December 16th, 2020, 21:08
@Darkrite Elegant. I like it.

However, since there are some abilities that make the target flat-footed only to the rogue, while others make the target flat-footed to everyone, I want to be careful not to incorrectly multiply sneak attack damage.

For example, for a level 5 rogue, I use a basic "Sneak Attack; IFT: flat-footed; DMG: 2d6 precision" as a constant effect on the character, so his sneak attack damage applies any time he hits a flat-footed target.

If I then implement something like the following to reflect the Mastermind ability that makes the target flat-footed just to the rogue, and it ends up on an enemy that gets flat-footed by some other means (knocked prone or flanked), then the rogue would end up dealing 4d6 precision damage (2d6 from the basic Sneak Attack line triggering off the flat-footed condition and 2d6 triggering off the custom Mastermind ability). Is there a way I can change the coding to prevent the stacking of damage like this? If there was a "NOT" function that would check to see if the target is NOT flat-footed before applying the Mastermind precision damage, that would be ideal, but I don't think such a thing exists.

(target) Masterminded; IFT:CUSTOM(Mastermind); GRANTCA
(self) Mastermind; IFT:CUSTOM(Masterminded); DMG: 2d6 precision