PDA

View Full Version : In FGU updating assets within a module requires FGU exit

brustmlj
December 14th, 2020, 21:40
When developing modules in FGC I was able to update the mod file in the modules directory and close the module and re-open and see the updated results without having to close FGC. While this works for some things in FGU it does not work for everything. Token and Images assets added or removed from the module are not updated when the module is closed and reopened. Exiting FGU and restarting is required to pick up these new assets. Using the refresh folders at the bottom of the asset window does not help refreshing the assets from a changed mod file.

Another interesting choice is that it seems that asset selection is available from all modules in the modules directory. Since I have literally 500+ modules it seems that making all these assets available in the assets window is one of the things which takes FGU so long to load up for me. I have a decent and relatively new i7 Win 10 PB with a fast SSD and 32G of ram. So while startup is not unbearably slow it does seem it should be faster. Is it not the case that FGU should only provide access to assets in the assets folder for modules that are actually loaded? Why is FGU making all the assets of unloaded modules available simply because they are in the modules folder? This would solve my above problem in that when a module is closed the assets are released. And when it is opened the assets are loaded.

Zacchaeus
December 14th, 2020, 22:05
Unity handles images, tokens and portraits differently. All of your assets are available in order that you can construct maps without having to remember what modules those assets are in as well as making all your assets available in any campaign.

brustmlj
December 14th, 2020, 23:50
I am not sure I agree that is a good thing, but I will put that aside.

There needs to be a way to update assets for a module without exiting FGU.

LordEntrails
December 15th, 2020, 01:17
Assets are read at campaign load. Have you tried "/reload" command?

brustmlj
December 15th, 2020, 05:13
This did work. The problem is that it take almost as long as restarting FGU because in my case it is reloading 500+ modules. There should be a simple and quick way to simply reload a single module. Seems like maybe loading all modules should be a configuration setting. Maybe some people like it maybe some don't.

LordEntrails
December 15th, 2020, 15:56
Options and feature enhancements/requests should be made via the support site; https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/group/7