PDA

View Full Version : What is the most in demand module type?

IWriteAdventures
December 14th, 2020, 20:42
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and pretty new to Fantasy Grounds itself. I've spent the last three weeks working on my first adventure module for DMsGuild. I'm really enjoying working with Fantasy Grounds, and I am excited to create lot's of great content for it going forward. My initial project idea was to create really well done, easy to navigate digital PDFs that DM's could use to run interesting encounters with little effort. Once I discovered fantasy grounds, it's like they had read my mind with the way linking works. Now I feel like there are infinite possibilities. That being said, my research so far has shown me that adventures are the lowest selling type of product in the TTRPG sphere. Based on the badges I'm seeing on modules over on DMsGuild, it looks like that holds true with Fantasy Grounds as well.

I'm going to finish and release chapter 0/1 of my 5e adventure for free as a 'campaign starter', but then I'd like to pivot to making something people actually want. I would like to stick with 5e due to it's popularity, my own familiarity, and my level of time/money invested in 5e.

What types of content are the most in demand? Player content sells better in the TTRPG world, is that still true in Fantasy Grounds? I see a lot of the best sellers are coded abilities, and effects, which makes a lot of sense to me. I'd like to provide something other than coding though. I'm more interested in exercising my writing and game design skills than my coding skills. (though I’m happy to properly code in any abilities that I add, etc.)

What do you suggest that I focus my efforts on? Do you have any advice that you wish you had known when you got started with this? How should I calculate my prices? I want to be fair, and accessible, but I also need to maintain my career as a writer (Everything I have made for TTRPGs has been free so far.)

Where do you find your customers? How do you spread awareness of your products? As of right now IWriteAdventures is on twitter (https://twitter.com/Iwriteadventure), but so far that feels more like a creators forum than a way to reach the actual customers.

I'm including a poll, but please comment with your own answers.

Thanks in advance for any input.

My favorite things to work on are:

Desiging combat encounters
Writing hooks, backstory, and read aloud text.
Making tables and templates.
Coding.

Best,
Jade

IWriteAdventures.com (https://iwriteadventures.com/)
@IWriteAdventure (https://twitter.com/Iwriteadventure)

LordEntrails
December 14th, 2020, 22:13
As you noticed, extensions and effects modules are the best selling types, but imo they are well covered and you would be hard pressed to develop in that space.

On forums I think you will find most folks will want GM tools, since it seems that most folks active on various forums (including this one) are mostly GMs. BUT, most buyers are actually players. So you will see (and have noted it yourself already) that player facing content (races, classes, feats and options) sells the best, so that's what I would recommend.

When I was actively developing, I found there was a Facebook group that was excellent for Guild Creators; https://www.facebook.com/groups/DMGCreatorsCircle/ that I would recommend. You can search there and find detailed discussions on price settings as well as sales data from creators to support observations.

The official FB Guild group may also be good, it was new when I was last active and is run by OBS; https://www.facebook.com/groups/DMsGuild/

The biggest piece of advice, and most important factor to success, from my observations, is putting out solid and REGULAR content. You have to produce at a regular pace. Then you have to build a following using social media as your advertising medium. Rob2e and Grim Press are the two examples to look at for FG specific success stories.

IWriteAdventures
December 14th, 2020, 22:31
Thank you so much for your reply,

I will check out both of these groups, and look into the two examples you have provided. Do players typically want Fantasy Grounds content or a Fantasy Grounds/PDF combo? I know traditionally the reason player content sold so well, is that people like to read it for leisure. Is a fantasy grounds player a different type of player all together who is happy with just the module, or do they still want the option to read the content on their phone?

Seeing rob2e's content over and over is what caused me to start thinking "It looks like Fantasy Grounds itself is a legitimate niche."

I really appreciate your input!

PS. https://www.facebook.com/groups/DMGCreatorsCircle/ doesn't show up for me :(

MarshViper
December 14th, 2020, 23:50
I usually want both, if I can get it. For me, the FG module setup is great for reference while actually running an adventure but extremely not ideal for the prep reading one does beforehand. But, often for $ reasons I suffer through with just the FG mod. Actually, if I could get a FG module + a printer-friendly stripped down no-graphics PDF, that would be the best thing ever, because I hate reading long things on a screen!

IWriteAdventures
December 15th, 2020, 00:36
I usually want both, if I can get it. For me, the FG module setup is great for reference while actually running an adventure but extremely not ideal for the prep reading one does beforehand. But, often for $ reasons I suffer through with just the FG mod. Actually, if I could get a FG module + a printer-friendly stripped down no-graphics PDF, that would be the best thing ever, because I hate reading long things on a screen!

This is a great insight! It seems that it's not necessarily the fancy formatting of the PDF that matters, but the readability it provides.

LordEntrails
December 15th, 2020, 01:14
So I just visited the group, since I'm a member and see that it has been "Archived". Didn't know that was possible! Guess its dead, sorry :)

I just use FG, but PDF would add value. Plus it allows you to reach non-FG users as well. I believe their are now means to bundle products together so you can do that with a discount etc. IMO it's not much harder creating both than it is to just create one format. You can look into this tool as well, I ahven't used it yet, but it's promising; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48045-Utility-FG-Print-Tool-(Print-campaigns-or-character-sheets)

IWriteAdventures
December 15th, 2020, 01:59
So I just visited the group, since I'm a member and see that it has been "Archived". Didn't know that was possible! Guess its dead, sorry :)

I just use FG, but PDF would add value. Plus it allows you to reach non-FG users as well. I believe their are now means to bundle products together so you can do that with a discount etc. IMO it's not much harder creating both than it is to just create one format. You can look into this tool as well, I ahven't used it yet, but it's promising; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48045-Utility-FG-Print-Tool-(Print-campaigns-or-character-sheets)

That tool looks great!

GavinRuneblade
December 16th, 2020, 08:58
I like maps and setting products. Not full adventures, but I'll buy them to get maps and setting information.

I run very sandboxy games, so having a lot of random locations and random people or weird things I can grab on the fly. The Raging Swan villages, for example, I love those and own all of them. There's no adventure, not even any stats. Just a city and the people.

IWriteAdventures
December 16th, 2020, 16:18
I like maps and setting products. Not full adventures, but I'll buy them to get maps and setting information.

I run very sandboxy games, so having a lot of random locations and random people or weird things I can grab on the fly. The Raging Swan villages, for example, I love those and own all of them. There's no adventure, not even any stats. Just a city and the people.

Would you say that a small location based adventure, dungeon crawl, or detailed/interesting combat encounter for 99 cents is worth more to you than a lvl 1-3 adventure for 4.99 or something like that? (these are just random examples and prices)

HywelPhillips
December 16th, 2020, 17:21
Looking at my scary order history, I buy a lot of:

Longer adventure modules: at least the length of classic adventure modules, rather than very short "5 encounters and a map" style mini-dungeons. I bought a few of the mini-ones at the start but don't seem to use them, whereas cannibalising bits of longer adventures actually seems easier for me.

Art, maps and tokens if well-priced

Modules that promise a "system" or bunch of resources for handling particular situations, like fortresses, player strongholds, kingdoms, etc.

Self contained one-shots or short adventures that move fast and come in with a bang and require absolutely minimal GM prep. The best ones you can almost run as a solo or for a group sight-unseen, just following the links as you play each section.

Interesting that it's hypothesised that player material still sells better for FG than GM material. In all the groups I'm in the GM is the person buying things - do other people have players buying stuff like PHB or Tasha's? We always have GMs on ultimate and others on demo and sharing GM material - not just on FG in fact but Roll20 too. So I'm surprised by that, are lots of other groups all working on standard and buying stuff individually?

P.S. I absolutely second the request for even a quick-and-dirty PDF with the module. FG is good for many things but reading offline is not one of them.

Cheers, Hywel

IWriteAdventures
December 16th, 2020, 18:50
Interesting that it's hypothesised that player material still sells better for FG than GM material. In all the groups I'm in the GM is the person buying things - do other people have players buying stuff like PHB or Tasha's? We always have GMs on ultimate and others on demo and sharing GM material - not just on FG in fact but Roll20 too. So I'm surprised by that, are lots of other groups all working on standard and buying stuff individually?

P.S. I absolutely second the request for even a quick-and-dirty PDF with the module. FG is good for many things but reading offline is not one of them.

Cheers, Hywel

This is how my group works as well, I as the GM am the one that purchased all of the 5e books for everyone to use. Other players who like to GM have chosen to pay for a subscription, but otherwise everyone else is using the demo version. That being said two of my players were eager to help me pay for the books, so maybe they'd be the type to buy more content. Even if they did, I still think they would probably buy it 'for the group' by giving me the money to put it on my GM account instead of limiting it to themselves.

This feedback on the quick dirty PDFs is really great. I had spent some time last month learning how to make my first nicely formatted, interactive PDF. It turned out good, but it was a huge hassle compared to when I just post the content to my site. My content is intended for DM's who run the game using the aid of their computer, tablet, or within a VTT. When I saw Fantasy Grounds I fell in love and said "I'll never do another PDF again." The fact that it's not the beautiful formatting, but the readability that is of interest, is a huge relief.

IWriteAdventures
December 16th, 2020, 18:57
A follow up question for anyone who likes to buy adventures. Do you ever use the "Reference Manual" for the adventure? When do you tend to open it? How do you like it to be laid out?

I personally use the reference manual for the reference books, particularly Eberron RLW right now. I find that with adventures I only really need the story pages to navigate all of the content effectively, and the "Reference Manual" sits untouched.

LordEntrails
December 16th, 2020, 19:28
A follow up question for anyone who likes to buy adventures. Do you ever use the "Reference Manual" for the adventure? When do you tend to open it? How do you like it to be laid out?

I personally use the reference manual for the reference books, particularly Eberron RLW right now. I find that with adventures I only really need the story pages to navigate all of the content effectively, and the "Reference Manual" sits untouched.
I started to say never, then rarely, then I thought more about it. The last couple of modules (Storm Lords Wrath, Sleeping Dragons Wake, Divine Contention) I have actually read and used it. Never did before that (WDDH, LMOP, POTA, etc). I used to think it wasn't valuable. Not sure I feel that way anymore. It's getting more and more useful, plus if their ever is a "reader app" for FG, there is a chance it will only look at the Ref Manual. So, not sure how I feel, I'm in transition!

Ulric
December 16th, 2020, 20:45
I buy modules and I do use the Ref Manual. More than once I have found story content and images I had missed when I only used the Story window. I would like to be able to add notes and Links to Story entries and Images/Maps.

HywelPhillips
December 16th, 2020, 21:28
I use the Ref Manual. I use it to read through and get the idea of the product. If I decide to run the adventure module I usually cave in and buy a paper or PDF copy as well.

As LordEntrails said, I think it is worth including if for no other reason than a reader app will hopefully one day allow us to view it offline.

Cheers, Hywel

HywelPhillips
December 16th, 2020, 21:37
Would you say that a small location based adventure, dungeon crawl, or detailed/interesting combat encounter for 99 cents is worth more to you than a lvl 1-3 adventure for 4.99 or something like that? (these are just random examples and prices)

For me, no. I have a bunch of collections of locations and encounters but I find I very rarely use them. I find sections of longer adventures easier to use as they have "hooks" into them which I find easier to integrate into my game rather than just the "nothing to hang onto" of the smaller adventures.

For me, FG makes it so easy to take a map and a bunch of NPCs and build an interesting encounter that that doesn't have much value in a commercial product.

But knowing the name of the person you are rescuing and what their wagon contained and why the Bullywugs need more food this year and who is stopping them getting it and why that sets up conflict - that's got some value, and easy enough to customise.

BTW I don't want to risk patronising as I'm not a commercial creator of RPG material, but as a commercial creator of artistic work in another sphere, my most important advice would be not to underprice your work.

Aim to provide a GOOD lvl 1-3 adventure and price it at the top of the band for such material. I guess unless you know you are a creative demon and can generate lots and lots of material really quickly. A regular update schedule is good, but make sure you price it to be worth your while and ensure the customer feels likewise when they come to run it. Get the first few right and err on the side of pricing too high than too low - it is way easier to lower the price (sales etc) than raise it.

Cheers, Hywel

P.S. the screenshots on the FGU product page or DMSGuild are your shop window, make sure they are SUPER EXCITING and fill the customer with anticipation of how great this is going to be in their game. Show all the pretties you have.

Nylanfs
December 16th, 2020, 22:40
In regards to reference manuals, you might want to plan ahead for when they develop their phone/tablet app to be able to read the FG vault stuff. Then you wouldn't have to go back and revise your previous works. Note: This is speculation, based on the vague comments by Doug and John.

IWriteAdventures
December 17th, 2020, 08:28
I buy modules and I do use the Ref Manual. More than once I have found story content and images I had missed when I only used the Story window. I would like to be able to add notes and Links to Story entries and Images/Maps.

That's a great point, I'll refrain from locking things.

IWriteAdventures
December 17th, 2020, 08:35
For me, no. I have a bunch of collections of locations and encounters but I find I very rarely use them. I find sections of longer adventures easier to use as they have "hooks" into them which I find easier to integrate into my game rather than just the "nothing to hang onto" of the smaller adventures.

For me, FG makes it so easy to take a map and a bunch of NPCs and build an interesting encounter that that doesn't have much value in a commercial product.

But knowing the name of the person you are rescuing and what their wagon contained and why the Bullywugs need more food this year and who is stopping them getting it and why that sets up conflict - that's got some value, and easy enough to customise.

BTW I don't want to risk patronising as I'm not a commercial creator of RPG material, but as a commercial creator of artistic work in another sphere, my most important advice would be not to underprice your work.

Aim to provide a GOOD lvl 1-3 adventure and price it at the top of the band for such material. I guess unless you know you are a creative demon and can generate lots and lots of material really quickly. A regular update schedule is good, but make sure you price it to be worth your while and ensure the customer feels likewise when they come to run it. Get the first few right and err on the side of pricing too high than too low - it is way easier to lower the price (sales etc) than raise it.

Cheers, Hywel

P.S. the screenshots on the FGU product page or DMSGuild are your shop window, make sure they are SUPER EXCITING and fill the customer with anticipation of how great this is going to be in their game. Show all the pretties you have.

This advice is all really great, and much appreciated. Since I'm brand new to the marketplace is it still worth it to put out my first product as 'pay what you want' (free lol) to spread awareness? I have free stuff on my site, but I figured a free fantasy grounds module in the DMsGuild would be better exposure. That being said I really have put my blood, sweat, and tears into making something well written, useful, polished, easy to navigate, and worth the buyers $$$.

IWriteAdventures
December 17th, 2020, 08:36
In regards to reference manuals, you might want to plan ahead for when they develop their phone/tablet app to be able to read the FG vault stuff. Then you wouldn't have to go back and revise your previous works. Note: This is speculation, based on the vague comments by Doug and John.

This is good to keep in mind. I want to make sure I can easily keep everything up to date.

HywelPhillips
December 17th, 2020, 10:04
This advice is all really great, and much appreciated. Since I'm brand new to the marketplace is it still worth it to put out my first product as 'pay what you want' (free lol) to spread awareness? I have free stuff on my site, but I figured a free fantasy grounds module in the DMsGuild would be better exposure. That being said I really have put my blood, sweat, and tears into making something well written, useful, polished, easy to navigate, and worth the buyers $$$.

Personally I would say don't give it away if it took you significant time to make. Especially not if you don't have any other products yet! Exposure doesn't do you any good if there's nothing to buy. Make the first one commercial and see how it does. You can experiment with pricing, marketing, social media etc. and see what actually works- what converts into a sale. I'm a firm believer in customers ascribing value according to price. If it is free and not a teaser into something bigger, they'll not value it. Indeed you'll be so devaluing your own work that a lot of people will decide it is a low-quality amateur production not worth their attention.

If YOU think you've made something worthwhile, put your money where your mouth is and charge accordingly.

You can always give something away as a promo later on, once you've got more products to promote. The later ones will inevitably be more refined, and you'll have a much better idea of your target audience and what your selling points are.

There are other payment models - notably giving away the basic version for free with subscriber/supporter benefits for paying customers. This works for map and art creators on Patreon where they can add multiple variants of maps with relatively little extra work. Unless your output is going to be huge and you can think of a way to give extra value to adventure modules in higher subscriber tiers I think pay-per-product is a better sales model for the sort of stuff you are envisaging?

If nobody buys it, try running a sale. Make a short promo video (Apple iMovie trailers are your friend- bit cheesy but way better than not having anything at all). Post more pretty pictures of it in play. Make a carefully-thought out product to showcase your skills or what you do well and give that away, with a link to where they can buy more.

Maybe this isn't how it works in the TTRPG market - I know it seems to be a lot more price-sensitive than the media I'm used to selling in. Any actual TTRPG creators want to jump in? Am I way off base here?

LordEntrails
December 17th, 2020, 15:46
IMO PWYW is horrible unless you have large committed group of supporters.

Personally I would say don't give it away ... Indeed you'll be so devaluing your own work that a lot of people will decide it is a low-quality amateur production not worth their attention.

If YOU think you've made something worthwhile, put your money where your mouth is and charge accordingly.

You can always give something away as a promo later on, ...
Yes! Very good advice.

DMsGuild allows you to do limited time and quantity coupon codes. So put a price on your things. THEN in your distribution channels you can give out codes for free or greatly reduced copies. Such as post one code on the forums here that get's your first thing free for 10 people, and just ask that in return people give you feedback. Same thing with your social media channel, you can use a different code etc.

That way their is a value to your product. I'm in strong agreement with Hywel, if you don't value your work by putting a price on it, don't expect other people to value it either.

IWriteAdventures
December 17th, 2020, 17:12
IMO PWYW is horrible unless you have large committed group of supporters.

Yes! Very good advice.

DMsGuild allows you to do limited time and quantity coupon codes. So put a price on your things. THEN in your distribution channels you can give out codes for free or greatly reduced copies. Such as post one code on the forums here that get's your first thing free for 10 people, and just ask that in return people give you feedback. Same thing with your social media channel, you can use a different code etc.

That way their is a value to your product. I'm in strong agreement with Hywel, if you don't value your work by putting a price on it, don't expect other people to value it either.

That's a great idea! As long as I can make sure people interested in giving feedback can get it for free, I'm happy to list it with a price tag.