PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone reading the forums right now?

NymTevlyn
May 28th, 2007, 06:05
I would like to have someone try to connect to a game hosted by my at server alias: soft keep warm gate

Please post here if you fail to connect. Thanks!

acmer
May 28th, 2007, 06:14
"Could not connect to host. Try again."

NymTevlyn
May 28th, 2007, 06:18
*sighs* I can't host anything at all on this isp. I went through and did everything required. Thanks for trying.

acmer
May 28th, 2007, 06:27
No luck. I'm no expert, but that looks like a NAT address or something.

NymTevlyn
May 28th, 2007, 06:29
Yeah, it is. I guess I'll dig around in the help files some. Thanks for the help.

acmer
May 28th, 2007, 06:30
If the NAT is not done by you, you might have very slim chances at hosting anything.

Traygin
May 28th, 2007, 18:54
If you are behind a router you may want to try port forwarding.

NymTevlyn
May 29th, 2007, 04:16
Yes, I tried that. I opened the proper ports in the router, in the firewall, in the connection settings. I set up a virtual server and triggered ports. I even put this pc outside the router using an option it has. None of it worked. >_<

Tokuriku
May 29th, 2007, 10:49
You may be behind 2 routers without knowing it...
That's what happenned to me.

NymTevlyn
May 29th, 2007, 17:42
I'm pretty sure I only have one router here. I setup our home network myself. I'll have to try calling my isp to figure out things from their end.

Griogre
May 29th, 2007, 18:07
The think what confuses many is that their cable or DSL "modem" has a rounter in it too, usually.

NymTevlyn
May 29th, 2007, 18:15
I have a router and it connects to an antenna on the roof through a cable. I've already contacted my ISP and I'm going to try a static IP address and see what happens. It's only an additional $5 a month, so not too bad. I can always cancel it if it doesn't work.

Griogre
May 29th, 2007, 18:39
The real question you have is who controls your firewall (and port forwarding). On citywide lans and on some ISPs you have a very large LAN than actually connects to the internet through the ISPs firewall. A University dorm works the same way. If you have this type of setup you will never be able to host as long as you have the current setup.

Your antenna on the roof sounds alot like a WLAN connectiong to the service provider who in turn connects to the Internet for you. The fact they offer a static IP is promising and it may work for you. It may pay for you to go through the frustration of contacting their tech support and finding what a tech who actually knows their stuff and explaining what you want to port forward 1802 to run a "game" server and see what he says you need to do.

NymTevlyn
May 29th, 2007, 19:44
I spoke to the owner of the isp. It's a very small locally based one. He said all the ports are open specifically for games. I'll find out if the static IP works here in a couple hours. I might be back again begging for someone else to try logging in to a game hosted by me. =)

If it works, I have some plans to make for running a campaign.

NymTevlyn
May 29th, 2007, 23:33
yarr! I think the static ip may have worked. I tried joining a game I hosted myself and got a new error message!! I got a serial key conflict. Now... if anyone see's this and wants to test it for me, you can join via: able wand idle pony

I'll leave it running for a bit.

NymTevlyn
May 30th, 2007, 00:05
Yay, it works. Thanks to Valarian, whomever they may be on these forums. They verified it for me. Now to get down to brass tacks and rub some elbow grease around and set up a campaign setting. =)

Tokuriku
May 30th, 2007, 10:25
Congratulations!