PDA

View Full Version : Unmasking Works for Some Players, Not for Others

JohnD
December 12th, 2020, 23:53
Strange issue just developed. FGC using the Castles and Crusades ruleset (although I doubt that is relevant).

Last game, players moved to a new map - masked it and unmasked as needed - everything worked fine.

Post game, I added additional content to the module in question, did an /export to complete the module.

For the following game, I had to close the module that was open and then re-open it to get the changes/updates. I had to re-apply the mask on the map and uncover the areas that were explored the prior game (luckily there was not much to do over again).

Now, some players can see the unmasked areas of the map and others can't. Examples below.

Player(s) who can see the unmasked areas;

Player(s) who can't see the unmasked areas;

The players who can't see the unmasking have gone into the Data/campaigns directory and deleted the folder for the campaign and then re-connected but the issue is unchanged.

Can anyone provide some suggestions for us to try?

Kelrugem
December 13th, 2020, 03:51
Strange issue just developed. FGC using the Castles and Crusades ruleset (although I doubt that is relevant).

Last game, players moved to a new map - masked it and unmasked as needed - everything worked fine.

Post game, I added additional content to the module in question, did an /export to complete the module.

For the following game, I had to close the module that was open and then re-open it to get the changes/updates. I had to re-apply the mask on the map and uncover the areas that were explored the prior game (luckily there was not much to do over again).

Now, some players can see the unmasked areas of the map and others can't. Examples below.

Player(s) who can see the unmasked areas;

Player(s) who can't see the unmasked areas;

The players who can't see the unmasking have gone into the Data/campaigns directory and deleted the folder for the campaign and then re-connected but the issue is unchanged.

Can anyone provide some suggestions for us to try?

Did your players try deleting the cache, for example with the nuke button? (or did you mean cache/[campaign] with Data/campaigns?) :)

JohnD
December 13th, 2020, 03:52
Additional information;

Checked memory load for the campaign as it has been going on for around 5 years now.

GM side the load is ~ 1,110 MB with no-one connected. With 1 person connected this goes up to ~ 1,210 MB.

One player connected and they are only using ~ 235 MB of ram on their laptop (new computer).

Then tried connecting with their desktop (an older computer but still a "gaming" system) and that reports ~ 271 MB in use.

On the laptop, player can see the unmasked sections of the map. On the desktop, same player cannot see the unmasked sections of the map.

Anecdotal - desktop is a wired connection and laptop is a wireless connection from within the same living space.

JohnD
December 13th, 2020, 03:57
Did your players try deleting the cache, for example with the nuke button? (or did you mean cache/[campaign] with Data/campaigns?) :)

Yeah, deleted the folder for the campaign in their Data/Campaigns directory.

Kelrugem
December 13th, 2020, 05:00
when it works on one computer for that player, but not on the other, then they may need to check their antivirus about whether that blocks the download for whatever reason. Or, what did you mean with "added new content"? Did you replace the actual image file? If so, did you create a completely new map entry for it, or did you overwrite the original image file?

In case of the latter: I would not recommend overwriting image files which are already in use. I already have seen other reports where this caused some hiccup on the players' side, like the image does not show anymore, or they still see the old image and so on. That is due to that there are then conflicts with the cache because the old version with the same file name was already downloaded; when I remember correctly, then clearing the cache did not always work in that case. (but not sure about the deletion of the cache; may be better when they use the nuke button in the login screen, maybe they did not clear their cache correctly when they tried to delete it manually)

Hence, maybe try to create a completely new map entry for that one image. So, start from scratch, maybe even rename the file to be on the very safe side, and then try to share again. Would be good to know whether it then worked :)

JohnD
December 13th, 2020, 20:26
I think this may be a two headed monster.

1. I had a copy of the map in my campaign folder because I was worried about the group getting to the area before I was finished working on the module of it. They did get there before I was ready with the full module. There is the same map and file name in the module. Once I had the module completed, I went to use the version in the module. I see there are two masking files in the campaign, so perhaps the software is getting confused by two maps with the same size and file name yet two different masking data files.

To solve, I deleted the version in the campaign folder - it is now redundant since I finished the full module for this portion of the adventure. I also deleted the masking files for the campaign version of the file and the module version, and then re-applied the masking and opened up the areas in question. Then re-shared out the remaining module map file.

Player still can't see the unmasking information on desktop computer, but can on laptop. This leads to the second possible portion of the issue.

2. Player had deleted the folder for my campaign yet when connecting afterwards, does not end up with a new folder for the campaign even though they should be downloading everything previously accessible.

Issue 2 leads me to believe this may be a permissions issue on player's desktop.

Thoughts anyone?

Moon Wizard
December 14th, 2020, 04:06
Yeah, a permissions issue would do that; as the mask information couldn't be saved to the cache, and thus loaded from the cache.
Also, a bad cache could do that, but nuking the cache should clear that.

Regards,
JPG