PDA

View Full Version : Lost all the characters and the notes?

ValiantTCO
December 12th, 2020, 10:49
Dear,

I am the GM of a game of Pathfinder on Fantasy Grounds Classic.
I just booted up FG. It said it had database errors and ran a bunch of red text in front of my nose.
Now when I boot it up, all the characters and notes of the campain are gone. Basicly erasing months of playing for my players.

Help?

Trenloe
December 12th, 2020, 12:17
The message box would have given some indication of what the problem was, and what to do.

FG creates backup files of your previous sessions. So it should be possible to recover to a point before you had the issue. But you may have lost data from your last session.

Before we begin, let's try to work out why this happened. Do you have your FG app data directory pointing to a cloud storage/sync/backup solution? Or did you leave FG running and your computer restarted? Please give more info so we can try to stop this from happening again.

To try to fix your issue, please provide a screenshot of your <FG app data>\campaigns\<your campaign name> directory - with details enabled so we can see dates/times and sizes. Get to <FG app data> by clicking the folder icon in the top right corned of the FG startup screen,.

ValiantTCO
December 12th, 2020, 12:30
Hi,
Thanks for replying :)
I just started up FG classic like always. This time around, before loading up I got a window with a LOT of red lines going: Database error...and then a lot of mumbo jumbo to me. Endresult: game booted up without characters and notes.

Also, this chat won't let me upload images....

Trenloe
December 12th, 2020, 12:32
I just started up FG classic like always. This time around, before loading up I got a window with a LOT of red lines going: Database error...and then a lot of mumbo jumbo to me. Endresult: game booted up without characters and notes.
Are you running on Windows or Mac?

Did you cleanly exit FG last time you used it? Don't just shutdown the operating system with FG running.

Are you using any cloud storage/sync/backup solution for your FG data?

ValiantTCO
December 12th, 2020, 12:36
Running windows

ValiantTCO
December 12th, 2020, 12:37
Running windows. Exited cleanly. Not using any cloud storage. Didn't even know that was possible until you just said so.

Trenloe
December 12th, 2020, 12:43
Didn't even know that was possible until you just said so.
Don't use cloud storage. It has caused similar issues to what you're seeing. Hence why I asked - because if you were using any such solutions I would have recommended to remove them.

To try to fix your issue, please provide a screenshot of your <FG app data>\campaigns\<your campaign name> directory - with details enabled so we can see dates/times and sizes. Get to <FG app data> by clicking the folder icon in the top right corned of the FG startup screen,.

ValiantTCO
December 12th, 2020, 13:24
I tried that a few times on this forum. The forum won't let me paste or include pictures.

ValiantTCO
December 12th, 2020, 13:45
The problem has been partially resolved. I'll take my wins and thank you for your attention! :)

Trenloe
December 12th, 2020, 14:01
I tried that a few times on this forum. The forum won't let me paste or include pictures.
You need to click the "Go advanced" button to the bottom right of the reply window, and then click the paperclip attachments button to add an attachment - upload an image file (JPG, for example) of the screenshot.

Weissrolf
December 12th, 2020, 15:33
Don't forget to backup in the future. ;)