PDA

View Full Version : 5E Extension: Situational Awareness (pre-load encounter/tokens on maps)

celestian
December 11th, 2020, 21:36
This is a proof of concept extension. I do not actively work on it at this time due to limits within the FGU environment.

If you're having issues with extension please read this post first on making sure you have correct extension installed (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72434-Advanced-Effects-Alternative&p=638439&viewfull=1#post638439).

I implemented this in the AD&D 2E ruleset and to expose it to other systems I've created this extension. What does it do? It allows you to pre-load all your encounters and only see the ones that are "active". This will let you visually see all the other encounters in the area and if necessary pull them into the CT. Previously you would have to look at each room's description and possible look at encounter links as well.

Compatibility
If you run other extensions that manipulate images or the combat tracker then you might have issues running this extension with that one. Be aware of this when deciding on extensions to load.

Here is a quick example of how it can be used. This map has encounters linked that I load up, deactivate all, then activate them to manage them in the combat tracker during play.

https://i.imgur.com/BmqDyFz.gif

Notes:
Commands with this extension.

/saclean all

If you happen to somehow get entries in the CT that are no where to be seen this will remove ALL combattracker entries (active and deactive). Use only if necessary. You will need to replace map encounters and pcs into CT if this command is used. In general this should not be an issue and I only used it during my debug/testing.

/sashow all

Command will set ALL tokens in the combattracker.list as ACTIVE. You can use this if you somehow managed to get orphaned entries.

Note: I've ran into some performance issues when I have a lot of encounters pre-loaded. If the performance is unacceptable you'll need to reduce the number of tokens you have preloaded. Currently I have no REAL solution for this. It's a ... complicated thing and deeper issue related to how FG manages data.

For developers, here is the gitlab repo (https://gitlab.com/FGProjects/public/extensions/5E_SituationalAwareness).

Feedback and bug reports welcome.

Update
Update 1.51

[Updated] 2021.03.09 CoreRPG updates and code cleanup.
[Fixed] Error for added sanity checking function

Install with forge using this link (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/337/view).

celestian
December 11th, 2020, 21:38
Addendum, if you use Advanced Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)&p=361905&viewfull=1#post361905)you will need to have Advanced Effects version 4.8+for these two extensions to coexist.

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2020, 21:50
Jolly Good

Weissrolf
December 11th, 2020, 21:58
Very nice, thank you. Finally a way to see NPC placements on a larger map without having everything in the CT at once. Why is it called "5E Extension" though?

Edit: I understand. "Other systems" only meant other DnD systems. Too bad. Still a useful extension for those playing DnD.

celestian
December 11th, 2020, 22:01
Very nice, thank you. Finally a way to see NPC placements on a larger map without having everything in the CT at once. Why is it called "5E Extension" though?

Because it's a 5E extension, not a CoreRPG or other ruleset specific one. "5E Extension" is and indicator what it works with, not the name. This one is specific to 5e. I wanted to make it work for CoreRPG but due to how the addPC and addNPC functions are managed right now that's not possible... it needs to be specific to the ruleset.

I should have named the file 5E_SituationalAwareness.ext but to late now, I never remember that.

Weissrolf
December 11th, 2020, 22:07
I just edited my post when you posted yours. When you wrote "expose it to other systems" I thought you meant other systems than DnD. Bad luck. ;)

celestian
December 11th, 2020, 22:10
I just edited my post when you posted yours. When you wrote "expose it to other systems" I thought you meant other systems than DnD. Bad luck. ;)

Other systems than the AD&D 2E ruleset ;)

It could be ported to other rulesets but 5E was an easy goto for large playground. If the addNPC/addPC functions get a "onAdd" hook then I could just make it CoreRPG layered. I've suggested as much but we'll see what happens.

Kelrugem
December 11th, 2020, 22:40
Very nice :)

So, when I wanted to add that to other rulesets, then I mainly need to look at the addNPC function and merge it with that ruleset? :)

(and yes, with that post I ask for whether I am allowed to look at your code to port it to 3.5e/PF1 :D Am I? :) )

celestian
December 11th, 2020, 23:11
Very nice :)

So, when I wanted to add that to other rulesets, then I mainly need to look at the addNPC function and merge it with that ruleset? :)

(and yes, with that post I ask for whether I am allowed to look at your code to port it to 3.5e/PF1 :D Am I? :) )

I would like to see this part of CoreRPG. Until they add it, you're welcome to use what you can to do what I've done here.

The piece that matters in addNPC/addPC is to set a default "active" flag of 1 ... ... but as I type this I realize I could just look for nil also and if it's 1 or nil show it. Let me work on that, Can probably get this to work for CoreRPG that way... then no one else has to mess with it... that said, would love to see it native CoreRPG.

PS: this is what is called talking to the rubber duck (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_duck_debugging).

Kelrugem
December 11th, 2020, 23:15
I would like to see this part of CoreRPG. Until they add it, you're welcome to use what you can to do what I've done here.

The piece that matters in addNPC/addPC is to set a default "active" flag of 1 ... ... but as I type this I realize I could just look for nil also and if it's 1 or nil show it. Let me work on that, Can probably get this to work for CoreRPG that way... then no one else has to mess with it... that said, would love to see it native CoreRPG.

Yeah, is a nice feature :) Thanks, then I wait a bit, and I may port that to 3.5e/PF1 when needed :)

celestian
December 11th, 2020, 23:46
I do have a CoreRPG version of this working now. If anyone would like to test it for other rulesets drop me a PM in FG's discord.

Kelrugem tested with 3.5 and it looks like it isn't fully utilizing the CoreRPG functionality, so it doesn't function there.

It will really depend on if they are fully utilizing CoreRPG's CombatManager.

edit: turns out this actually might be related to the filter applied to what records are listed in the CT for both pathfinder versions. It can be adjusted for but... I don't play either. Kel might can sort it out and I can write a work around into the CoreRPG extension perhaps? For now, this works with just 5E and is built into AD&D 2E.

MrDDT
December 12th, 2020, 06:58
Going to try this out, looks awesome.

eriktedesco
December 12th, 2020, 08:46
Can't wait to try this out!!! Seems amazing!! Nice work!

mattekure
December 12th, 2020, 19:40
This extension is not currently compatible with the 5e Legendary Assistant extension, https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61516-5e-Legendary-Assistant-extension
When they are both loaded, the Situational Awareness buttons no longer work.

Kelrugem
December 12th, 2020, 20:52
For the 3.5e/PF1 users: I merged Celestian's extension with mine: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50895-Kelrugem-s-extensions&p=564347#post564347, currently in test mode, probably will integrate it "officially", thanks to Celestian to allow that :)

Technically, may help other devs of extensions: The problem in 3.5e/PF1 is that ct.lua gets overwritten, so, one needs to add Celestian's filter function (at the bottom of ct.lua of his extension) to ct.lua :) That is the essential thing; when you also overwrite the toolbar, then you may want to check whether you need to do something there, too, since Celestian adds two buttons to the image toolbar (and also overwrites the script for the visibility of the buttons)

MrDDT
December 12th, 2020, 21:07
This extension is not currently compatible with the 5e Legendary Assistant extension, https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61516-5e-Legendary-Assistant-extension

I can confirm this is an issue.

Weissrolf
December 12th, 2020, 21:38
Technically, may help other devs of extensions: The problem in 3.5e/PF1 is that ct.lua gets overwritten, so, one needs to add Celestian's filter function (at the bottom of ct.lua of his extension) to ct.lua :) That is the essential thing;
Curiously I already tried that before when Celestian gave me an earlier version and it did not work. This time the button does hide NPC in the CT, adding an Encounter to the CT fires an error, though.

"[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_sa.lua"]:135: attempt to call field 'updateNPCSpells' (a nil value)"

After disabling the extension no new encounters could be added to the CT, they were all hidden, so I reenabled the extension and used the console command to fix everything.

Kelrugem
December 12th, 2020, 21:45
Curiously I already tried that before when Celestian gave me an earlier version and it did not work. This time the button does hide NPC in the CT, adding an Encounter to the CT fires an error, though.

"[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/manager_sa.lua"]:135: attempt to call field 'updateNPCSpells' (a nil value)"

After disabling the extension no new encounters could be added to the CT, they were all hidden, so I reenabled the extension and used the console command to fix everything.

Are you sure that you had the correct version of SA? The CoreRPG one I got from Celestian does not have updateNPCSpells anywhere in the SAManager :)

Weissrolf
December 12th, 2020, 21:50
Stupid me, I wrote over the CoreRPG version he gave me with the one from this thread. Will check again later and report back.

Weissrolf
December 12th, 2020, 22:58
Unfortunately the CoreRPG (I have) seems to make everything invisible in the CT even after restoring the CT via chat command leaving the CT completely empty of PCs and NPCs. The chat command deletes everything, but does not fix the behavior of everything being hidden as soon as it is dragged to the CT (PCs and NPCs).

MrDDT
December 12th, 2020, 23:16
Be warned that if you right click the CT and "Delete Only Foes", even hidden ones get removed. Same with non foes, all of them even hidden ones.

This can be an issue as the fight you in, you want to clear it but you have the next room or 10 prepped, you have to make sure to remove them off the CT each one manually and not the fast way.

This is still very useful. I saw another EXT but it got removed from DMSguild that groups the things in the CT and then you can hide them or not by the group. Also a filter on the CT.

celestian
December 13th, 2020, 01:37
Be warned that if you right click the CT and "Delete Only Foes", even hidden ones get removed. Same with non foes, all of them even hidden ones.

Thanks for the heads up on that bug. In the 2E ruleset where this is sourced from I coded that but neglected to do so when I exported the extension. I'll fix that and post an update.

It is intended that they only remove the ones in the CT, not the ones deactive.

MrDDT
December 13th, 2020, 01:42
Thanks for the heads up on that bug. In the 2E ruleset where this is sourced from I fixed that but neglected to do so when I exported the extension. I'll fix that and post an update.

It is intended that that only remove the ones in the CT, not the ones deactive.

Thanks man you the best.

celestian
December 13th, 2020, 05:40
Thanks for the heads up on that bug. In the 2E ruleset where this is sourced from I coded that but neglected to do so when I exported the extension. I'll fix that and post an update.

It is intended that they only remove the ones in the CT, not the ones deactive.

If you would like to test and see if this works here is the one I think should work. If it works for you I'll replace the one in the first post.

(note, I've changed the name of the file to follow a naming convention)

Removed this attachment. Part of new revision in first post.

Weissrolf
December 13th, 2020, 08:40
The original script from post #1 currently is the one working with (modded) PF2 except for the updateNPCSpells error. Both my CoreRPG version and the latest 5E one keep the CT empty at all times.

PS: Any specific reason why the file is called Situanionl instead of Situational?

Stv
December 13th, 2020, 11:25
In post #15 Kelrugem mentions a filter function you have added to the ct.lua file.
If I add that filter to my legendary assistant extension, then I believe that both of the extensions *may* play nicely together.
Celestian, is it ok for me to 'borrow' your filter code and incorporate it into the legendary assitant extension?

Cheers, Steve.
*Edit*

Scratch the above, I've dug a bit deeper and your extension modifies a little more than I 1st thought, but I think I may have a solution

celestian
December 13th, 2020, 20:20
PS: Any specific reason why the file is called Situanionl instead of Situational?

Nope, typo.

celestian
December 13th, 2020, 20:24
Update
Update 1.03 :

[Updated] Filename has changed to 5E_SituationalAwareness.ext to follow a naming standard.
[Fixed] When removing all no-friendly tokens from cT, it would remove them from map if not active. Corrected.
[Fixed] Tokens deactive and brought in with effects between sessions would lose effect icons on tokens. This will enable them when the token is activated.

Weissrolf
December 13th, 2020, 20:59
;) (typo)

Any idea why the original 5E version works better in PF2 than the CoreRPG and new 5E version? I added the filter to ct.lua in PFRPG2 and with the original 5E I can hide and unhide (N)PCs in CT, but the newer versions keep the CT completely empty (permanently), regardless of button-usage.

Kelrugem
December 13th, 2020, 21:07
;) (typo)

Any idea why the original 5E version works better in PF2 than the CoreRPG and new 5E version? I added the filter to ct.lua in PFRPG2 and with the original 5E I can hide and unhide (N)PCs in CT, but the newer versions keep the CT completely empty (permanently), regardless of button-usage.

How did you add that to ct.lua? On one hand beware that you may need to do the same for clientct.lua (there is already some sort of filtering, where you need to add that) :) On the other hand, ct.lua is a script attached to a template/windowclass, that is, you cannot simply overwrite it by putting it into the scripts folder etc., you need to overwrite the corresponding windowclass :) (the one at which PF2 attaches ct.lua)

And depending on PF2 you might need to do other things, but I doubt that PF2 changes the toolbar for example :)

And: When you try to load Celestian's extension and your own extension for this at the same time (where your own extension just adds the filtering), then be aware of that the loadorder of the extensions might lead to that your changes are overwritten by Celestian's extension :) (but also here: Depends on how PF2 is structured)

Weissrolf
December 13th, 2020, 21:23
I added the filter at the end of PFRPG2's own ct.lua file. This is what made it work with the original 5E SA extension (except for the error I posted earlier). But both the CoreRPG SA and the latest 5E lead to the CT being empty as soon as anything is added to it.

celestian
December 13th, 2020, 21:40
;) (typo)

Let me be clear, that CoreRPG version was for testing only. To keep from confusing people you might should start a new thread so you can discuss the PF solutions that might/might not be working. Otherwise the 5E folks here will be lost.

celestian
December 13th, 2020, 21:40

The author of LA is working on a solution.

Weissrolf
December 13th, 2020, 21:42
Agreed, sorry for the confusion.

Ludd_G
December 14th, 2020, 15:11
Hi Celestian,

I don't suppose there's any chance it's possible to add the ability to define the default visibility state for the tokens within your extension? I hate that the token's all appear invisible and I have to individually alter each one to make them Mask Sensitive (which is how I would want them 85% of the time, which will probably be nearer 99% of the time once LoS distance restrictions are implemented). Even the ability to group change their state would be a massive QoL improvement for me.

I realise that this is not what your extension is specifically set up to address but I thought it might be adjacent enough for it to be worth asking.

Cheers, and thanks for all your work,

Simon

mattekure
December 14th, 2020, 17:09
I was testing the 5E version 1.03 and noticed a bug that only seems to occur in Unity, but not in classic. New campaign, no other extensions loaded.

Observed behavior: When an npc is first added to the CT and then to a map, the SA deactivate button does not appear to work when clicked (the tokens remain visible in the CT). However, if you then immediately activate the tokens and deactivate them again, it does work. It appears that the first time pressing the deactivate button on a new NPC doesnt refresh the CT filter.

Steps to reproduce:
1. add npc to CT
2. drag to map
3. use selection tool to select NPC
4. click the SA deactivate tokens button (red X)
token still appears in the CT.
5. click the activate token button (green check), then the deactivate button again.
token now appears/disappears as expected.

celestian
December 14th, 2020, 18:10
I was testing the 5E version 1.03 and noticed a bug that only seems to occur in Unity, but not in classic. New campaign, no other extensions loaded.

Observed behavior: When an npc is first added to the CT and then to a map, the SA deactivate button does not appear to work when clicked (the tokens remain visible in the CT). However, if you then immediately activate the tokens and deactivate them again, it does work. It appears that the first time pressing the deactivate button on a new NPC doesnt refresh the CT filter.

Thats more than likely the subwindow display bug in FGU that JPG is aware of and planning to correct. I've noticed the same behavior in 2e.

celestian
December 14th, 2020, 18:20
Hi Celestian,

I don't suppose there's any chance it's possible to add the ability to define the default visibility state for the tokens within your extension? I hate that the token's all appear invisible and I have to individually alter each one to make them Mask Sensitive (which is how I would want them 85% of the time, which will probably be nearer 99% of the time once LoS distance restrictions are implemented). Even the ability to group change their state would be a massive QoL improvement for me.

Currently the extension places the npcs into the CT. When you remove them it will set tokenvis to 0 (invisible) and remove them from the CT. Adding in something like token grouping would require additional UI/windows and increase the complexity for users.

If/when they add API calls to know if a token can see a token via LOS I will consider having options to auto "add" (but not remove) npcs from the CT in or other visibility behavior in FGU. Right now, it's entirely up to the DM to manually resolve.

Ludd_G
December 14th, 2020, 18:21
No worries and cheers!

MrDDT
December 14th, 2020, 18:40
If/when they add API calls to know if a token can see a token via LOS I will consider having options to auto "add" (but not remove) npcs from the CT in or other visibility behavior in FGU.

This would be so awesome, it would help also in solo adventures too.

jrowsey1
December 18th, 2020, 05:41
The radial menu for the Combat tracker doesn't show the "Rest" or "Effects" options with this extension loaded. Tested in Unity version 4.0.5 with no other extensions loaded.

To reproduce just open the Combat Tracker and right click the Menu button. The Rest option at 10 O'clock and the Effects option at 6 O'clock are not visible.

MrDDT
December 18th, 2020, 05:53
The radial menu for the Combat tracker doesn't show the "Rest" or "Effects" options with this extension loaded. Tested in Unity version 4.0.5 with no other extensions loaded.

To reproduce just open the Combat Tracker and right click the Menu button. The Rest option at 10 O'clock and the Effects option at 6 O'clock are not visible.

Both are working for me and exactly where they should be.
version 4.0.5.

jrowsey1
December 18th, 2020, 06:14
Here's what I see with no extensions loaded:

And here's what I see with just Situational Awareness loaded:

nephranka
December 18th, 2020, 10:51
I can confirm this as well. When loaded the radial menu is changed and is missing "rests" and "effects".

MrDDT
December 18th, 2020, 16:16
Here's what I see with no extensions loaded:

And here's what I see with just Situational Awareness loaded:

So I checked my version # and it's older than the one in the first post. The one in the first post doesn't work currently, mine currently does. So the newest one broke this.

celestian
December 18th, 2020, 19:01
I can confirm this as well. When loaded the radial menu is changed and is missing "rests" and "effects".

Sure enough, 5e version has this problem. I'll look into what is up.

celestian
December 18th, 2020, 19:11
Update
Update 1.04 :

[Fixed] "Menu" button was missing options.

Ludd_G
December 20th, 2020, 21:47
Hi Celestian,

just wanted to let you know that I used this extension in anger tonight for the first time and it is a massive help, thank you! I was running the Sunless Citadel and had 2 thirds of the encounters on the Fortress level (everything before the Goblins) pre-loaded and ready to go. I noticed there was a bit of sluggishness for me and some (probably unconnected) lagging for my players, but taking this into account it was still very much a positive experience using this! Great work! :D

Cheers,

Simon

celestian
December 21st, 2020, 07:51
Hi Celestian,

just wanted to let you know that I used this extension in anger tonight for the first time and it is a massive help, thank you! I was running the Sunless Citadel and had 2 thirds of the encounters on the Fortress level (everything before the Goblins) pre-loaded and ready to go. I noticed there was a bit of sluggishness for me and some (probably unconnected) lagging for my players, but taking this into account it was still very much a positive experience using this! Great work! :D

Cheers,

Simon

I'm doing some experimenting with that latency in the 2E ruleset to try and see if I can clean some of it up. I think I found some of the bits where it was but won't know until I get more testing it. There is a lot of code that assumes anything on the map is "active" so I have to tell it to use other methods.

Ludd_G
December 21st, 2020, 11:14
Great stuff! And as I said, any issues were minor (even with the huge number of preloaded NPCs I had) and didn't detract from the massive benefits your extension provides. Big thumbs up!

celestian
December 21st, 2020, 17:57
Update
Update 1.05 :

[Updated] Performance enhancement for various window refreshes to ignore tokens not listed in the Combat Tracker.

MrDDT
December 21st, 2020, 18:07
Let me test this bad boy out.

celestian
December 21st, 2020, 18:16
Sorry for the quick update but this was reported after I made the performance updates.

Update
Update 1.06 :

[Updated] Performance enhancement for various window refreshes to ignore tokens not listed in the Combat Tracker.
[Fixed] Activating a token will now refresh title/name/bars/buttons/effects so they show correctly

celestian
December 21st, 2020, 21:12
Found a bug.

When deleting tokens from an image/map that are not "active" in the CT they are orphaned in the database.

Next rev will fix this by making the token "active" in the CT so you can then delete the record. I thought about having it delete the record entirely if the record was not "active" but that seems counter to standard CT behavior (CT is generally considered the source of truth). I'm open to either way, but for now that's what I'm going with.

eporrini
January 17th, 2021, 22:47
Found a bug.

When deleting tokens from an image/map that are not "active" in the CT they are orphaned in the database.

Next rev will fix this by making the token "active" in the CT so you can then delete the record. I thought about having it delete the record entirely if the record was not "active" but that seems counter to standard CT behavior (CT is generally considered the source of truth). I'm open to either way, but for now that's what I'm going with.

Celestian, any update on your fix for orphaned tokens? Also, is there a way to know where a token may be hidden? I have a couple of tokens that I now see through the roll for initiative extension that I did not even realize are either orphaned in the DB or on a map somewhere that I used some time ago and have no idea where. Is there a command to "unhide" all tokens in the CT so I can remove the faulty ones?

celestian
January 18th, 2021, 02:24
Update
Update 1.07 :

[Added] "/sashow all" - Command will set ALL tokens in the combattracker.list as ACTIVE. You can use this if you somehow managed to get orphaned entries.

eporrini
January 18th, 2021, 03:03
Update
Update 1.07 :

[Added] "/sashow all" - Command will set ALL tokens in the combattracker.list as ACTIVE. You can use this if you somehow managed to get orphaned entries.

Awesome, thanks!!

celestian
January 18th, 2021, 07:43
Awesome, thanks!!

If you can figure out the situations where these DO get hidden, let me know.

Jiminimonka
January 19th, 2021, 18:06
Love it! Should be added to CoreRPG for sure.

Broken.Arrow
January 22nd, 2021, 21:40
After the update yesterday I seem to be having issues with the Situational Awareness extension. I am getting the following error:
[ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_sa.lua"]:143: attempt to index global 'CombatManagerADND' (a nil value)
Anyone else getting the same error?

celestian
January 22nd, 2021, 21:44
After the update yesterday I seem to be having issues with the Situational Awareness extension. I am getting the following error:
[ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_sa.lua"]:143: attempt to index global 'CombatManagerADND' (a nil value)
Anyone else getting the same error?

Woops, since this is part of my ruleset natively the code I ported needed a bit of cleanup I missed. I'll fix this shortly.

celestian
January 22nd, 2021, 21:48
Update
Update 1.08 :

[Fixed] Bug during token deletion from map resolved.

macDsinfo
January 30th, 2021, 01:45
is there a way to make sure the tokens show when activated - now it works, but I still have to scroll through the ct and click each one to show after I activate them... many thanks...

celestian
January 30th, 2021, 03:25
is there a way to make sure the tokens show when activated - now it works, but I still have to scroll through the ct and click each one to show after I activate them... many thanks...

The tokens DO show in the CT. Whether they show to players is not part of the active/deactive tokens feature. I tend to click the "toggle all" option when I activate more npcs so the players can see them.

macDsinfo
January 30th, 2021, 03:37
thanks. I just saw it working one way in your video and another in my game, which is why I asked...

celestian
January 30th, 2021, 08:15
thanks. I just saw it working one way in your video and another in my game, which is why I asked...

I did consider making it auto-visible them in the CT for players but then, they might not be... so, I decided it best to let the DM decide as thats how it works normally.

macDsinfo
January 30th, 2021, 16:42

Steps to reproduce:
1. add npc to CT
2. drag to map
5. click the activate token button (green check), then the deactivate button again.

+1

I am experiencing this, too. not sure if it is by design...

so, it is actually good the tokens aren't auto visible on activate because I have to activate to deactivate, and al that can be done hidden from view...

thanks again.

celestian
January 30th, 2021, 18:15

Steps to reproduce:
1. add npc to CT
2. drag to map

+1

I am experiencing this, too. not sure if it is by design...

so, it is actually good the tokens aren't auto visible on activate because I have to activate to deactivate, and al that can be done hidden from view...

thanks again.

I just tested in FGC and FGU and the problem Mattekure discussed is no longer there. It was an issue with FGU itself which was corrected.

macDsinfo
January 31st, 2021, 03:30
well, it was happening to me today... it is an easy work around. however this took me by surprise:

I had a big table, and the situational awareness buttons were not available to use because they were blocked by the PC icons, pulling the window out and activating the toolbar did the trick....

Naxyr
February 26th, 2021, 14:48
If I could request a feature?

This is amazing for keeping tokens on the map as a reminder the players are walking into danger. For some of the tokens, I like to mask sensitive visibility so the players see something right away but not on the CT. Would there be a way to build into the selection tool a way to mask sensitive visibility for all selected?

celestian
February 26th, 2021, 17:11
If I could request a feature?

This is amazing for keeping tokens on the map as a reminder the players are walking into danger. For some of the tokens, I like to mask sensitive visibility so the players see something right away but not on the CT. Would there be a way to build into the selection tool a way to mask sensitive visibility for all selected?

I am not clear on what you're asking for. Selection right now allows you to activate or deactivate whatever tokens you have selected.

Naxyr
February 26th, 2021, 20:40
With SA's functionality, I disable tokens to leave on the map but out of the combat tracker. If I want players to still be able to see this token but not load onto the CT, I have to right click, go to visibility, and click "mask sensitive" visibility. This allows my players to turn a corner and immediately see something without seeing the combat tracker populate. Then if a fight breaks out, I can activate the token and it will appear in the CT. I'll grab some screenshots.

Naxyr
February 26th, 2021, 20:49
What would be cool is being able to select multiple tokens and set their visibility to "mask sensitive visibility" to go with the buttons that deactivate or activate them in the tracker.

hammer58
March 3rd, 2021, 06:18
I am having issues with the combat tracker. Playing 5e rule set. Loaded all the characters into the combat tracker then loaded a pre loaded encounter to the combat tracker. I was unable to target any of the player characters with the pre loaded monster encounter. The players could target everything normally. The combat tracker worked fine from their perspective. But not working at all from the GM perspective. Had to do all the combats entirely manually from the GM side. I did once add in another NPC to the combat tracker. A spell effect brought in another NPC to the battle. That NPC worked fine. I manually loaded that NPC into the combat tracker. Again the issue is with pre loaded encounters done on a previous version of Fantasy grounds unity.

Tried another pre made encounter and the same behavior happened. Some how a bug has been introduced from pre made encounters done on earlier versions of fantasy grounds unity.
It is a reproducible error, any pre made encounter will exhibit the same issue.

Our group meets once a month. Last month we had no problems with the combat tracker. This month we do. Something changed in the last updates over the last month that caused this.

The error I get says [ERROR] Unable to target token not linked to combat tracker entry.

This error happens every time I attempt to target a player in the combat tracker.

When ever a player tries to target an npc in the tracker it works fine.

It only happens when I load a pre loaded encounter into the combat tracker.
And then again the error is for all of the GM run npc's in the combat tracker.
It seems to be a one way error.

celestian
March 3rd, 2021, 17:55
I am having issues with the combat tracker. Playing 5e rule set. Loaded all the characters into the combat tracker then loaded a pre loaded encounter to the combat tracker. I was unable to target any of the player characters with the pre loaded monster encounter. The players could target everything normally. The combat tracker worked fine from their perspective. But not working at all from the GM perspective. Had to do all the combats entirely manually from the GM side. I did once add in another NPC to the combat tracker. A spell effect brought in another NPC to the battle. That NPC worked fine. I manually loaded that NPC into the combat tracker. Again the issue is with pre loaded encounters done on a previous version of Fantasy grounds unity.

Tried another pre made encounter and the same behavior happened. Some how a bug has been introduced from pre made encounters done on earlier versions of fantasy grounds unity.
It is a reproducible error, any pre made encounter will exhibit the same issue.

Our group meets once a month. Last month we had no problems with the combat tracker. This month we do. Something changed in the last updates over the last month that caused this.

The error I get says [ERROR] Unable to target token not linked to combat tracker entry.

This error happens every time I attempt to target a player in the combat tracker.

When ever a player tries to target an npc in the tracker it works fine.

It only happens when I load a pre loaded encounter into the combat tracker.
And then again the error is for all of the GM run npc's in the combat tracker.
It seems to be a one way error.

Based on your other post it seems like you're doing a bit more than using SA (importing a 2e module into 5e).

I can say, in my local testing I do not experience these issues. What I will suggest tho is trying the /sa commands (see first post). Specifically "/sashow all" might help if somehow the active/deactive flags got corrupted somehow. That will set ALL tokens on the map to CT active mode and you can go back and deactivate. If that works, you're golden.

kevininrussia
March 9th, 2021, 00:14

Steps to reproduce:
1. add npc to CT
2. drag to map

I am getting this same behavior, has this been resolved?

kevininrussia
March 10th, 2021, 00:17
After todays (3/9/2021) update I'm getting this error when launching the Combat Tracker:

https://i.imgur.com/wV44tyS.png

Fixed by replacing ct_host.xml with new one from update.

celestian
March 10th, 2021, 00:51
After todays (3/9/2021) update I'm getting this error when launching the Combat Tracker:

https://i.imgur.com/wV44tyS.png

Fixed by replacing ct_host.xml with new one from update.

I saw a post by JPG a few minutes ago mentioning some changes that went live today. That could be the issue. I didnt see any issues with the 2e ruleset (which has this built in) but I'll try and take a look at this on the weekend.

kevininrussia
March 10th, 2021, 01:03
Looks like they added

<hsx name="senses" />

to the ct_host.xml

Kelrugem
March 10th, 2021, 01:06
Looks like they added

<hsx name="senses" />

to the ct_host.xml

uuuuh, we know what this is about :D

celestian
March 10th, 2021, 17:49
Update
Update 1.5

kevininrussia
March 10th, 2021, 19:25
Update 1.5

[ERROR] Failed to load script buffer (ManagerSA): [string "scripts/manager_sa.lua"]:142: '<eof>' expected near 'end'

https://i.imgur.com/syIawno.png

celestian
March 10th, 2021, 19:30
[QUOTE=kevininrussia;585778]Update 1.5

[ERROR] Failed to load script buffer (ManagerSA): [string "scripts/manager_sa.lua"]:142: '<eof>' expected near 'end'

Teach me to add a "simple sanity check" and not re-run the bloody thing.

celestian
March 10th, 2021, 19:33
Update 1.51

[Fixed] Error for added sanity checking function

kevininrussia
March 10th, 2021, 20:58
I know that this is not meant for other rulesets but I was able to get the previous version to work with by adding the rulesets ct_host.xml. This new version does not allow me to add NPC's or PC's to the CT in the 4E ruleset. Just an FYI to anybody that was using this with other rulesets.

celestian
March 10th, 2021, 21:25
I know that this is not meant for other rulesets but I was able to get the previous version to work with by adding the rulesets ct_host.xml. This new version does not allow me to add NPC's or PC's to the CT in the 4E ruleset. Just an FYI to anybody that was using this with other rulesets.

Works for me, I musta uploaded the wrong .ext file. I'll check on it when I get the chance. For now I've removed the link.

kevininrussia
March 10th, 2021, 21:26
It works in 5e in my test. Just not in 4e.

Edit:

I went with another clean add of the latest extension and was able to add and delete NPC's from the CT. But with ct_host.xml added as before I now can not show or hide tokens on the map.

kevininrussia
March 11th, 2021, 22:22
I got your latest version working now. Was some errors in my effort to get this to work with 4e, but I fixed them. Nothing wrong with your code.

Would it be ok to share the 4e version in the 4e forum?

Thanks!

Shinrei123
June 10th, 2021, 08:33
Truly a wonderful extension. I'm looking forward to when you get it to work work with more systems as I would love to use this in my PF2e games.

Montis
June 14th, 2021, 20:25
Yeah, I'd like to use it for PF2E, too!

eporrini
August 20th, 2021, 23:47
Celestian, I've found myself running multiple groups of PC's in a campaign. I notice when I try and hide a PC in the tracker it does not work (only NPC). Not sure if it's possible or easy to hide a PC as part of a future update.

celestian
August 21st, 2021, 06:24
Celestian, I've found myself running multiple groups of PC's in a campaign. I notice when I try and hide a PC in the tracker it does not work (only NPC). Not sure if it's possible or easy to hide a PC as part of a future update.

I used to allow it but then people started "loosing" their PC tokens and were unable to "find" them. It was a chronic issue and I got exhausted trying to explain how to fix it.

mattekure
November 3rd, 2021, 23:57
Any chance this could get put on the forge?

celestian
November 4th, 2021, 00:30
Any chance this could get put on the forge?

Noted, I'll see what I can do.

celestian
November 5th, 2021, 04:28
Setup in the store. I put the link on the first post...

mattekure
November 5th, 2021, 15:37
Setup in the store. I put the link on the first post...

I get the following when clicking the forge link in the first post.

https://i.imgur.com/7of3Qwl.png

SmackDaddy
November 5th, 2021, 19:57
I also get what Mattekure got as well (just to confirm)

celestian
November 5th, 2021, 19:57
I get the following when clicking the forge link in the first post.

Status is marked "INACTIVE", not something I can change. Guessing it's waiting for approval from SW since it's newly added. The build shows up and I have it set to "Live" tho so I guess it's up to SW.

SmackDaddy
November 6th, 2021, 16:32
Status is marked "INACTIVE", not something I can change. Guessing it's waiting for approval from SW since it's newly added. The build shows up and I have it set to "Live" tho so I guess it's up to SW.

Thank you for looking into this and letting us know

celestian
November 9th, 2021, 19:48

ok, another dumb mistake on my part... green button saying LIST on my main forge page... sorry missed that but it's listed now and should show. I promise I'll figure this all out someday ;)

Jiminimonka
December 11th, 2021, 18:24
Not sure if this is a bug or an update but this shows up in non-5e Rulesets extension options, like Savage Worlds.

celestian
December 11th, 2021, 20:25
Not sure if this is a bug or an update but this shows up in non-5e Rulesets extension options, like Savage Worlds.

Woops, yeap. I had intended this to be a CoreRPG extension but couldn't make it work there. Fixed.

Poe the Homunculus
January 22nd, 2022, 21:56
When I run this extension with the Automatic Pack Tactics, creatures with the pack tactics trait are unable to make attacks either by drag-and-drop, double clicks, or even targeting.
I keep getting errors with both extensions running at the same time.

nephranka
January 23rd, 2022, 01:23
When I run this extension with the Automatic Pack Tactics, creatures with the pack tactics trait are unable to make attacks either by drag-and-drop, double clicks, or even targeting.
I keep getting errors with both extensions running at the same time.

I loaded a test campaign with SA 1.52 and pack tactics 1.8 and using a kobold I have no issues dbl or D&D attacks.

Poe the Homunculus
January 23rd, 2022, 08:26
I think I need to get the updated ext file, but can't figure out how to download it from the Forge :(
I've subscribed to it, but the .ext no longer shows up in the extension files for the latest 2021 update from 74 days ago.

nephranka
January 23rd, 2022, 11:23
I think I need to get the updated ext file, but can't figure out how to download it from the Forge :(
I've subscribed to it, but the .ext no longer shows up in the extension files for the latest 2021 update from 74 days ago.

You will want to delete the one you can see in the ext folder. I believe SA is in the vault so you will not see it in the ext folder but it is there and you should see it in the list. If both are present that can be a problem.

celestian
January 23rd, 2022, 22:46
You will want to delete the one you can see in the ext folder. I believe SA is in the vault so you will not see it in the ext folder but it is there and you should see it in the list. If both are present that can be a problem.

Nephranka is correct. I used the default mode for these and "vault" was it. It will not show in extensions/* but in vault/* as a random number (not very helpful to try and find it).

Delete all versions of it from extensions/* and restart FG and it'll be the forge version.

MrDDT
January 23rd, 2022, 22:53
Nephranka is correct. I used the default mode for these and "vault" was it. It will not show in extensions/* but in vault/* as a random number (not very helpful to try and find it).

Delete all versions of it from extensions/* and restart FG and it'll be the forge version.

It's not a random number it will always be UUID 6d3fca84-3de7-11ec-8c52-0050562be458 with .dat
All FORGE items have a code like this in the vault, only some are also the ext file encrypted also.

Also they must not have it Disable & Hide as an option, or Disable set in the inventory or these will not download new ones or show up correctly.

Just wanted to clear things up just in case these edge cases are the case.

I've found that setting Disable & Hide, while also making sure the EXT is removed from the extensions folder. Updating FGU. Then going back into FORGE and Enable & Unhide (Found in your inventory and under hidden tab at the top). Then update FGU again.
Will make sure you have the most updated FORGE update possible.

macDsinfo
February 1st, 2022, 00:13
Woops, yeap. I had intended this to be a CoreRPG extension but couldn't make it work there. Fixed.
So this does not work with savage worlds, or pathfinder for savage worlds..? Thx

celestian
February 1st, 2022, 06:04
So this does not work with savage worlds, or pathfinder for savage worlds..? Thx

Only 5e.

macDsinfo
February 1st, 2022, 14:41
Only 5e.
bummer. oh, well - thx for answering... all the best.

meadegendar
August 16th, 2022, 14:14
looks like SA and the new Vehicle update do not like each other. Just tested turning off all extensions and narrowed it down to this one.

celestian
August 16th, 2022, 15:27
looks like SA and the new Vehicle update do not like each other. Just tested turning off all extensions and narrowed it down to this one.

This was a proof of concept project (mentioned in post 1) but unfortunately due to how FGU manages some data it turned out to not be viable (can't pre-load everything on the map without killing the system). If/when they alter how the CT/effects are managed I'll revisit it but for now it's just a thing to wish for. The tldr; need to be able to have npcs on the map but not in the CT. While I did "hide" them they were still there so certain systems in FG still processed them which caused the resource/latency issue previously mentioned.

EllivasKram
August 17th, 2022, 07:24
Ok so for now. You recommend do not use. ?

Hopefully Smiteworks will cater for your extn in their logic and or implement it directly.

I saw performance issues myself but the ability to preconfigure ambushes and similar was fantastically useful.

Maybe Smiteworks could make a new token class that is in effect an encounter to add into the CT but when on the map interacts with vision

celestian
August 30th, 2022, 04:19
Currently the extension places the npcs into the CT. When you remove them it will set tokenvis to 0 (invisible) and remove them from the CT. Adding in something like token grouping would require additional UI/windows and increase the complexity for users.

If/when they add API calls to know if a token can see a token via LOS I will consider having options to auto "add" (but not remove) npcs from the CT in or other visibility behavior in FGU. Right now, it's entirely up to the DM to manually resolve.

If someone wants to take on the project the git repo is current version and linked in the first post.

ShadowedHand
September 12th, 2022, 04:11
Well, it was lovely while it lasted. :cry:

Combat Groups is out there that has similar functionality, and it does indeed work...at least for now. :ninja: