PDA

View Full Version : Filtering NPCs by terrain

Vassago77
December 11th, 2020, 21:16
Is there a way to filter NPCs by terrain? I am trying to build random tables for wilderness encounters and this would help immensely.

BTW, are the NPCs even categorized by terrain? I cannot find that anywhere! Does this field exist in Fantasy Grounds Unity?

Thanks!

Moderator: moved to 5e

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2020, 21:53
For what ruleset?

If for 5e then no, there's no terrain or biome section for NPC's in any of the WotC books, so there's not a filter for that.

Vassago77
December 11th, 2020, 22:16
Hi!, Yes it's 5e. I forgot to mention.

I was thinking about Xanathar, where there are lists divided by terrrain. Unfortunately, as you say, there is no section for terrain in the NPCs stats in the WotC books.

Is there a way to add this terrain "field" to Fantasy Grounds Unity? Maybe an extension or a mod? So that I could filter the NPCs by terrain?

Thank you Zacchaeus!

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2020, 22:34
You could do it with an extension. You would need to add the field to the NPC sheet and then somehow populate that field, as well as adding the field to the filter.

damned
December 11th, 2020, 22:42
You can easily add that field by extension.
No data will magically appear in it though.

Vassago77
December 11th, 2020, 22:43
And I guess there is no easy way to do it, I wouldn't even know where to start to learn creating an, let alone do it practically.

Is it a feat that I can do in a couple of days of learning and practicing?

Could you point me out to where I can find the info to do this?

Vassago77
December 11th, 2020, 22:44
You can easily add that field by extension.
No data will magically appear in it though.

Thank you! I liked that you used the word "easily". This gives me hope- I will input the data by myself.

celestian
December 11th, 2020, 23:08
If there is a "field" on the NPC with that data you can use the Encounter Safari (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64311-Encounter-Safari-Random-Encounter-Table-generator&p=563381&viewfull=1#post563381) extension to do that.

Vassago77
December 11th, 2020, 23:20
If there is a "field" on the NPC with that data you can use the Encounter Safari (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?64311-Encounter-Safari-Random-Encounter-Table-generator&p=563381&viewfull=1#post563381) extension to do that.

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I need AFTER I manage to create an extension adding the field "terrain" to NPC and after having populated it.

Now I need to find out how to create that extension. I hope somebody will point me out to where to study and learn about this.

celestian
December 11th, 2020, 23:41
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I need AFTER I manage to create an extension adding the field "terrain" to NPC and after having populated it.

Now I need to find out how to create that extension. I hope somebody will point me out to where to study and learn about this.

You could start with the extension knocked out and attached. I didn't do testing but it's a function thats similar to my general 2E custom extension I use for doing things like you're wanting (one shot things).

The .ext file is just a renamed zipped file so extract it to your own and edit away to do whatever you need.

/bulkchange [records] [field] Value here

Example:
/bulkchange npc source A new Source Value

Would set the "source" field on ALL npcs to "A new Source Value"

There are various debug outputs in the process so add more if you need and look to see what it's doing.

See attached.

Vassago77
December 11th, 2020, 23:49
You could start with the extension knocked out and attached. I didn't do testing but it's a function thats similar to my general 2E custom extension I use for doing things like you're wanting (one shot things).

The .ext file is just a renamed zipped file so extract it to your own and edit away to do whatever you need.

/bulkchange [records] [field] Value here

Example:
/bulkchange npc source A new Source Value

Would set the "source" field on ALL npcs to "A new Source Value"

There are various debug outputs in the process so add more if you need and look to see what it's doing.

See attached.

Ok. Am I supposed to fo this in the chat of FG?

Vassago77
December 11th, 2020, 23:53
I mean, adding the "terrain" field to all NPCs is as simple as loading this extension and then write in chat:

/bulkchange npc source Terrain

???

celestian
December 11th, 2020, 23:58
I mean, adding the "terrain" field to all NPCs is as simple as loading this extension and then write in chat:

/bulkchange npc source Terrain

???

You'd want /bulkchange npc terrain Temperate/Coastal or something like that. I'm not sure thats what you want. It wont make that field show in the 5E npc view or anything, but the data will exist on the NPC record and Encounter Safari will see it.

I suspect you want a more precise way to set these... This is just a example of how an extension works and flipping through npcs for you to get started.

Vassago77
December 12th, 2020, 00:04
Thank you for the input!

What I’m looking for is an extension that adds a field called “Terrain” to the NPCs sheet. After that,I can manually populate each NPC with different values, hopefully from a drop down menu or something like that.

After this, I can use the amazing Encounter Safari to filter.

I have no idea where to start from though. I hope I can some instruction manual somewhere.

Weissrolf
December 12th, 2020, 00:35
This list of monsters (more like creatures) offers filters for "Environment": Arctic, Coastal, Desert, Forest, Grassland, Hill, Mountain, Swamp, Underdark, Underwater, Urban.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/homebrew/monsters

celestian
December 12th, 2020, 02:37
Thank you for the input!

What I’m looking for is an extension that adds a field called “Terrain” to the NPCs sheet. After that,I can manually populate each NPC with different values, hopefully from a drop down menu or something like that.

After this, I can use the amazing Encounter Safari to filter.

I have no idea where to start from though. I hope I can some instruction manual somewhere.

Ah, ok I misunderstood but I know what you're talking about now.

Something else you should have is:

Climate (temperate, ocean, fresh water, desert, etc...)
Frequency (common,uncommmon,rare/etc)
Diet (Carnivore,Herbavore/etc)
Activity (day/night/any)
Organization (clan, solitary, pack)
NumberAppearing (3d12+5)

That sorta stuff ;)

Vassago77
December 12th, 2020, 08:21
Celestial, you understand me now!

I wan to to be able to have fields that I can populate, so I can more easily filter and prepare for random encounters. Chief among them will be "Terrain" or "Environment", but the fields you suggest are absolutely important too. If you have any idea how to easily do this, drop me a line!