PDA

View Full Version : Question about Core Books

Baron28
December 11th, 2020, 17:54
Are there 1st edition AD&D core books (PHB, DMG, MM) available? I only see 2nd edition.

celestian
December 11th, 2020, 18:25
Are there 1st edition AD&D core books (PHB, DMG, MM) available? I only see 2nd edition.

There are only the AD&D 2E rulebooks on the store.

ChrisRevocateur
December 14th, 2020, 19:21
If you wanna play 1st edition there is an extension to get the ruleset to have some behaviors closer to 1st edition behavior, and a mod to add some OSRIC classes you can use to fill in the gaps.

Also, the 1st edition version of the Ranger, Paladin, Druid, and Bard are included in their respective complete handbooks.

I think you're still missing the Barbarian, Cavalier, Monk, and Thief/Acrobat if you use UA at all. There are the Barbarian, Fighting-Monk, Chevalier, and Thief/Acrobat kits in the Fighter's, Priest's, Paladin's, and Thief's Handbooks respectively, but those aren't very close to the 1st edition versions (since the 1st edition versions were horribly imbalanced and these, being kits, can't deviate too much from the base class). Also no OA support at all yet that I can see.

It's cobbled together and it doesn't act exactly like 1st edition, but I find it to be close enough.

I think there's a community OSRIC ruleset you could use if you wanted to as well, but I don't think it has anything in its library at all, so you'd have to enter everything.

daggertx
December 14th, 2020, 19:39
nm, someone mentioned the 1e classes