PDA

View Full Version : Megadungeons Campaign!

Pseckler
May 27th, 2007, 22:34
Just guaging interest right now.

Lately I've been running RPGA games, specifically Xendrik Expeditions. I did this because i wanted to stay active in the XE campaign, get some RPGA points, and I couldn't find local players for that particular campaign. So anyhow, RPGA stuff is fun, but it's a bit scripted for me.

I also already DM for a live weekly group, and they are all around 15th level right now. Which is cool, but it's been a long in-depth epic kind of campaign. This is kind of a player-directed campaign involving some very long-running stories and plotlines. They are saving the world, pursuing their individual goals, So anyhow, there's that.

So what's missing from my gaming life? Dungeons. Massive, multi-level, interlinked, awesome dungeons. The kind you can get your characters lost in. and they don't always make perfect sense! Just one long torturous gauntlet of monsters, and treasure, tricks and traps. And every once in a while, some kind of bizarre thing like a magical fountain. Setting details are minimal. You could drop these suckers anywhere. Theyre basicly just forays into the wonderful underworld of the great gamer subconscious. Theyre pure playgrounds of adventure.

The original castle Greyhawk had over 70 levels. That kind of dungeon.

See, in my spare time, that's what I like to build. And I have a couple of mostly finished megadungeons all ready to go.

But classic style dungeon-adventuring is kinda looked down upon in this modern era...

It's cutthroat, for one thing. You can just wander down right to one of the lower levels and encounter something waay too tough for you.
OR
It also has an unmanaged aspect- you can level up a few times, and then just hang out where you can basicly pwn everything in the area. Also, I'd have it set uo so that only 1st level characters could start the game. So if you join up when the rest of the group is already 4th or 5th, you still have to catch up on your own. (This is less painful than it seems, actually. I have a system I made for this, that allows lower level characters to catch up to the average party level within a few sessions).

And of course, some people look down on what they term primitive hack and slashism. many people just don't understand the appeal of the classic style delve.

But instead of running another RPGA event right away, I thought I might setup one of my Megadungeons for online play.

...as soon as I can figure out a good way to do the maps.

Would anyone be interested in this? I was looking at someone who had set up an "open game room" of Rappan Athuk over at 4Ugly Monsters, and I thought that looked like a cool format. So maybe I'll just set this up and see what shows up...

Lerithyn
May 27th, 2007, 22:55
Sounds like a bit of fun to pass the time. I think I'd be interested in it if it were on my available days.

Auly
May 28th, 2007, 03:55
When and what are the other details of character creation?

starrius
May 28th, 2007, 07:46
i'd be interested as long as it on times/days i can play

Beronar
May 28th, 2007, 10:11
I'm interested as well. What timezone are you in?

ConraDargo
May 28th, 2007, 13:01
Sounds good to me - I've just recently discovered FG and would really like to see how it works without having to study loads of rules or write an in-depth article on my characters background. Simply roaming a huge dungeon sounds like a great way to get into the program :)

glimmersby
May 28th, 2007, 13:25
When are you looking at running the game? That appears to be the major factor with everyone. I am no exception.

Pseckler
May 28th, 2007, 18:22
I would run it on either Saturday or Sunday, EST. On Saturday it could be either day or night, and on Sunday it could be during the day.

I'll post back here with more details soon!

Character creation details- totaL FREE RANGE: every WOTC 3.5 source is open!

However, just 1st level characters and 32 point build.

starrius
May 28th, 2007, 21:31
if saturday i'd happilly join as long as it it is after 12pm gmt

if sunday i'll be happy too

starrius
May 29th, 2007, 06:56
also how do you intead to do prestige classes and gaining them as you lvl as this effects my build :)

db48x
May 29th, 2007, 13:01
I'd love to play as well. I'm happy with any times during the weekend. Is this game on the calendar?

Pseckler
May 29th, 2007, 23:50
Seems like there is interest!

Ok, I see a few issues, but I think I can handle them.

Thing #1, I need to convert my plain graph-paper maps into bitmaps for the game. Whoops. I'll get right on that.

Thing #2, if you are interested in this game, here are the character creation and campaign guidelines.

(I'll eventually write up a little campaign guide with a website).

For now just this:

This is a standard by-the-rules kinda game, but it's going to also be very casual in tone. We will be using plain jane, standard D&D 3.5 rules! If you want to do something weird, it might be ok, provided you don't break the starting level of 1. This means psionics is ok! LA +0 races are ok! non-standard base classes are ok! Tome of Magic ok! Tome of Battle ok!

Unearth Arcana is the sole exception. Unearthed Arcana is only partially in effect. For now that means we are using the bloodlines, feats, and the class

Characters start at 1st level, 32 point build. All non-specific (that is- not Eberron or FR) WOTC sources are considered legal.

This is not Eberron, Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk! (or Planescape or any other published world...) If you must know, it's set in my own little world of Aedorea, none of the details of which will be important to you. :) So in general, we'll use the standard Greyhawk deities. Also, I'll be adding some of my own.

If you have a source from D&D 3.0 (that predates 3.5), it must be converted properly. Some of them are ok, as-is. In general, I think we're ok with 3.5 stuff.

I (of course) still reserve the right to veto any character submission if it looks abusive. But I won't abuse that right either. I want people to make the character they want to play.

I kinda want to run this in an open-gaming format. That means new players could join at any given session, and you aren't expected to play in every session if you don't want to. I'll take the first 5 or 6 that are ready to play right then and there.

Finally, I'll have some later ideas about managing multiple groups that I'll eventually figure out. Right now I'm thinking of just doing multiple weekly sessions (one on Saturday night and one on Sunday day). These will be strictly 3 hour sessions. You are NOT expected to show up at both, but you can if you want to.

If that works out, I might add a midweek 1 hour session like.. midweek. Yes, a 1 hour D&D game. I'll just set the server up and see who logs on. Bwah ha. I don't watch TV, people. It's either this or World of Warcraft. ;)

This is how we used to game when I was in high school. :) A revolving cast of characters, multiple groups, self-directed adventuring1 I don't guarantee any epic storylines or tackling any issues of the day through deep roleplaying. I DO guarantee there will be monsters to fight and treasure to win!

Pseckler
May 30th, 2007, 00:22
Ok, the first two session s will be Saturday June 2nd (7PM EST) and Sunday June 3rd (1PM EST).

These will be 3-hour sessions!

Calendar is available at ...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=173

glimmersby
May 30th, 2007, 03:05
So are you saying the "Book of Vile Darkness" and the "Book of Exalted Deeds" are both good to use?

Pseckler
May 30th, 2007, 03:39
So are you saying the "Book of Vile Darkness" and the "Book of Exalted Deeds" are both good to use?

Yes. But remember that those are 3.0 sources, and will need to be updated. In the event you run across something like a spell or feat that has been updated in another 3.5 source, the newer version takes precedence.

db48x
May 30th, 2007, 10:18
How do you want us to submit characters?

Pseckler
May 30th, 2007, 12:46
Just make sure it is a legal by-the-rules character. I guess you can send a copy to me at pseckler13 (at) msn.com

ConraDargo
May 30th, 2007, 16:48
Sounds good, hope I can find the time to play though - moving into a new apartment this weekend.

Might even bring a friend or two now that I've spread the news on Fantasy Grounds ^^

Pseckler
May 31st, 2007, 20:49
Ok, I'm nearly all set and I have several of my maps set up already!

Looking forward to seeing who shows up on Saturday and Sunday!

Peter

starrius
May 31st, 2007, 22:25
still confused.. (really bad with time zones)

est is what to gmt?

Pseckler
June 1st, 2007, 00:26
I think EST -is GMT -5 hours. So when it's 7 PM EST, it's Midnight london time.

starrius
June 1st, 2007, 06:48
then i'm in for def

i'll finish working out which char i'll play have about 30 million ideas atm

Pseckler
June 2nd, 2007, 23:04
Ok guys, we're up. epic monk firm pony

db48x
June 2nd, 2007, 23:35
What ruleset are you using? When I try to join it tells me I don't have the correct one.

Pseckler
June 2nd, 2007, 23:39
Are you using FG I or FG II? I'm on FG II.

If you are using FG II, make sure to click the 'update
button when it starts up... that way you have the latest version.

db48x
June 2nd, 2007, 23:39
Nevermind, turns out there's an update to install :)

glimmersby
June 3rd, 2007, 14:47
What time are you looking at for the today's game?

Pseckler
June 3rd, 2007, 15:05
We are starting at 12PM EST. (That's 5PM London time)

Ironskul
June 3rd, 2007, 16:40
Hopefully you have room for one more!

Pseckler
June 3rd, 2007, 16:49
Hopefully you have room for one more!

We do!

And it's actually 1PM that we're starting. Although we're up right now. (11:48AM)
Feel free to drop by!

epic monk firm pony

ConraDargo
June 4th, 2007, 10:53
Well my Internet provider screwed something up this weekend and I'm still waiting for them to fix whatever needs to be done, so I was unable to attend to the play sessions :/ Hope the rest of you had fun!

Pseckler
June 5th, 2007, 00:31
No problem, we are playing again on Saturday (7PM EST) and Sunday (1PM EST). They've only cleared around 3 rooms of the dungeon so far ;)

draeven57
June 6th, 2007, 14:58
LOL... so many memories... I have been playing for 30 years (as of this summer) and still remember the days when the various levels of the dungeon roughly coresponded to the level of the creatures that existed there, which in turn indicated to the group what average level the players should be... Ah 'twas a simpler and happier life afore now! *smile*

Pseckler
June 6th, 2007, 16:02
That's kind of what I am going for, Draevan.

Although I have to admit, I created a level range for each dungeon-level. So on level 1 the encounters range from 1-3. On level 2 they range from 2-4, etc.

The dungeon I built is actually 4 levels deep. It was quite a lot of work!

Pseckler
June 11th, 2007, 13:31
Now we're kinda getting somewhere. . .. .

Several adventurers have now reached level 2! Visitors to the dungeon have also cleared out several areas.. the Meenlock infestation in the tunnels is all but wiped out. Grzzvrrt, the pseudonatural wasp was killed, and a ramp to a lower level was uncovered. The unstable elemental wolverine was destroyed, even if it did briefly knock Faygan the fighter out.

And some of you have now experienced the joys of swimming into a leech swarm, getting poked by a poison needle, and falling into a pit trap!

Next week, I'm going to start an hour earlier. So it will be 6PM EST on Saturday, and 12PM on Sunday.

starrius
June 11th, 2007, 19:41
any chance normal time on the saturday as i can't make it one hour earlier due to being at a pnp game

Ironskul
June 16th, 2007, 14:13
Just thought I'd drop a note since I will most likely not be around for tonights game. But Sunday most definately. Have a good time all.

Pseckler
June 17th, 2007, 03:26
Guys I apologize but the Sunday game is cancelled for Fathers Day.

On the plus side, I get taken out for lunch. ;)

Ironskul
June 17th, 2007, 15:54
No problem. Have a good one. I'm enjoying my first one right now :D

Pseckler
June 21st, 2007, 18:48
Hey guys, I am suspending my D&D game for a while, as I need to work on a new project!

Sorry for the inconvenience! I'll post again when I'm ready to play again...
-Peter

John_Geeshu
June 21st, 2007, 19:00
I'm utterly crushed to hear this, but I will continue to wait in the wings. Vrseii will rise again!

Berova
June 22nd, 2007, 09:24
Gosh dag nabbit! And things were just startin' to gel too!

Well, no matter, I'll be here when you are ready to retake the mantel again.

No worries Peter! Good luck with your new project and take care.

Will aka Faygan

SirJoe
June 24th, 2007, 00:27
I think I'd enjoy joining in this if there is still room.

Also, I am a nifty mapper (I use ProFantasy's CC2 & CC3 suite of products) and would be happy create maps for your game. I'd take these a chunk (level or two) at a time I guess, depending upon the total size. I cant gaurantee a long-term commitment on this task (I'm starting a PHD in about 3 months) but would welcome a diversion until then. What I'd need from you is a hand-drawn map scanned in at a reasonable resolution.

Best regards,
Sir Joe