PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Assign?

pjrake
May 27th, 2007, 00:55
what is this feature used for? i'm discovering more and more stuff here and i'm loving it!

Griogre
May 27th, 2007, 01:41
Assuming you are talking about the assign speaker in the storybook, assign speaker makes it so you when you drop something from the chat frame onto the chat window the "speaker" is the thing assigned to it.

IE If you have a bad guy named Xyron if you assign Xyron to the chat frame text when you drag and drop it onto the chat window it will say Xyron: then the rest of the chat frame as if Xyron just said the chat frame text.

An example of how to set up a speaker is here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5483

pjrake
May 27th, 2007, 07:55
IE If you have a bad guy named Xyron if you assign Xyron to the chat frame text when you drag and drop it onto the chat window it will say Xyron: then the rest of the chat frame as if Xyron just said the chat frame text.

it does that if i just create a text box. i'm trying to figure out the difference between assign speaker option and text box option, or a simpler way to have an NPC speak without either using /id Xyron or create a personality and clicking the bubble icon

acmer
May 27th, 2007, 08:00
It looked like if you create the "chat frame", type the speech, press TAB, type the name of the speaker to the left part of the chat box (ie. assign speaker), exit edit mode and then drag it to the chat screen (not to the part where you type, but the larger upper part), it works just as you wanted.

Whichever style you have, if you drag it to the typing part of the chat screen, the speaker is the one you have currently selected. If you drag it to the upper part of chat screen, it comes out as story text (bold with no speaker) if there's no speaker typed in.

pjrake
May 27th, 2007, 08:13
it didn't work :( i must be doing something wrong.

the TAB did allow me to enter the NPC's name and move the rest of the text but when i drag it instead of putting the NPC's name it just puts GM (the name i go by).

i would like to say the NPC's name and use the different color it uses. this would make it easier to always clicking the NPC from the bottom of the list cause sometimes i'll forget he's speaker and my might a message as GM while still in the other mode.

joeru
May 27th, 2007, 08:27
it didn't work :( i must be doing something wrong.

the TAB did allow me to enter the NPC's name and move the rest of the text but when i drag it instead of putting the NPC's name it just puts GM (the name i go by).

i would like to say the NPC's name and use the different color it uses. this would make it easier to always clicking the NPC from the bottom of the list cause sometimes i'll forget he's speaker and my might a message as GM while still in the other mode.

I just tried in case it became dysfunctional with FG II, but it works. Don't drag the text into the line where you type, but straight into the box.

acmer
May 27th, 2007, 08:28
That's what happened to me too, until I accidentally dragged the box to the part of chat screen that has the chat log. It does exactly like you said when you drag it to the typing part of the chat screen and press enter.

pjrake
May 27th, 2007, 08:44
now we're getting closer! so what i was doing was dragging it to the chat text thingy and not the actual text chat!

using TAB and type in the name works great. i tried doing with speaker assign and it still didn't work! :mad:

but i simply use the TAB since it gets the job done. on a side note, i discovered that dropping text box frames in the actual chat converts it into "story" mode and that's really cool!