PDA

View Full Version : Encounter Safari - Random Encounter/Table generator

celestian
December 9th, 2020, 00:45
Encounter Safari, random encounter and table generator.

NOTE: This functionality is built into the 2E AD&D ruleset as of 2021.07.19+ version. Do not load this if you are using the 2E ruleset.

This should work for anything CoreRPG based but due to the nature of the varying NPC record values it might function differently for your system. I am also open to expanding features for individual popular rulesets where I can with help from those users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhKBqjb848g

Updates

Initial release 1.00

Download the extension here:

arkanis
December 10th, 2020, 17:42
Here is a preview of the Encounter Safari and random encounter and table generator.

This should work for anything CoreRPG based but due to the nature of the varying NPC record values it might function differently for your system. I am also open to expanding features for individual popular rulesets where I can with help from those users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhKBqjb848g

I expect to release the first version of this in the next week or so. If you feel like you could offer good feedback and testing for it ping me on the FG Discord. We'll see about having a limited Beta.

Looks incredibly good!. Looking forward to it

celestian
December 11th, 2020, 23:07
Update:

Initial release 1.00

Download in first post.

MrDDT
December 12th, 2020, 19:13
How you getting climate, frequency, diet etc in there as options?

JohnD
December 12th, 2020, 19:20

Those fields are in the monster manual entries.

MrDDT
December 12th, 2020, 19:21
Those fields are in the monster manual entries.

Then it must be an AD&D thing vs me using 5E MM?

Weissrolf
December 12th, 2020, 20:46
Unfortunately this does not work with Pathfinder 2, supposedly because there already exists a "Random" button in PFRPG2.

celestian
December 13th, 2020, 01:40

The fields are whatever your ruleset has. Safari scans the npc records and picks out all the string based ones and lets you filter on that. The video shows me using it with the AD&D 2e ruleset. 5E has very limited list of them but you can do some filtering based on type, HD, senses and other things.

celestian
December 13th, 2020, 01:46
Unfortunately this does not work with Pathfinder 2, supposedly because there already exists a "Random" button in PFRPG2.

I am pretty sure I tested it with PF and it worked fine. Doesn't matter what PF2 has, this should have no interaction with an existing button, it's "appended".

Works fine in my testing with PF2.

https://i.imgur.com/Fldh9w9.png

Weissrolf
December 13th, 2020, 01:53
And there your screenshot demonstrates were my took the wrong turn. Your button is in the Bestiary, I looked in Encounters. Sorry for the confusion, I will try to be more thorough next time. :(

Nice to see that you got dropdowns working.

Weissrolf
December 13th, 2020, 02:07
The great thing is, the extension lets me search in PF2 traits, like list all "Fey" trait NPCs. Unfortunately Creature Level does not seem to be revealed for the PF2 ruleset/modules. So searching for all "Fey" of "Creature Level 2" is not possible. Hit Dice is empty for PF2 so the result list also does not reveal NPC levels without clicking through each of them.

But definitely a great little extension.