PDA

View Full Version : Primary hand action

SilentRuin
December 8th, 2020, 20:16
A new option popped up today on PC's in actions tab for weapons. Saw it was in the update notes with almost a full sentence.

Is there any directions or video or something that can tell me what this versatile enhancement with a big Hand and the number 1 in it on actions for weapons is now?

Trenloe
December 8th, 2020, 20:24
Moved to the 5E forum as this is a specific question to do with the 5E ruleset and not really a house of healing technical support question.

Zacchaeus
December 8th, 2020, 20:42
It supports versatile, and off hand weapons.

So, in the graphic Bob has equipped a longsword which is a versatile weapon (useable one or two handed) and when the hand is showing '2' he's using it with two hands and so uses the higher dice for the weapon damage. If it showed 1 then he'd be using it normally as a one handed weapon and would get the lower dice value.

He also has a shortsword equipped which is a finesse weapon; and FG already knows to use the higher of STR or DEX for attack and damage rolls. But now we can set this to '0' showing that Bob is using this weapon in his off hand.

Finally he has a rapier which is another finesse weapon but can only be used one-handed so FG has set the weapon to 1 showing he's using this in his main hand.

SilentRuin
December 8th, 2020, 21:08
It supports versatile, and off hand weapons.

So, in the graphic Bob has equipped a longsword which is a versatile weapon (useable one or two handed) and when the hand is showing '2' he's using it with two hands and so uses the higher dice for the weapon damage. If it showed 1 then he'd be using it normally as a one handed weapon and would get the lower dice value.

He also has a shortsword equipped which is a finesse weapon; and FG already knows to use the higher of STR or DEX for attack and damage rolls. But now we can set this to '0' showing that Bob is using this weapon in his off hand.

Finally he has a rapier which is another finesse weapon but can only be used one-handed so FG has set the weapon to 1 showing he's using this in his main hand.

So click on the hand and it cycles between 0 (bow turns into bludgeon weapon, offhand for other things) ,1 (normal weapon primary hand use), and 2 (two handed weapon use) and if weapon has something that relates to it that hit/damage changes to it.

I was actually surprised that the bow could be used as a club.

Kelrugem
December 8th, 2020, 21:23
I think it is actually the small letter "o", not a zero; makes more sense :D (but not important here :D)

SilentRuin
December 8th, 2020, 21:30
I think it is actually the small letter "o", not a zero; makes more sense :D (but not important here :D)

You are correct. The tooltips give it away :)

carpenter2003
December 9th, 2020, 01:47
In some quick testing it appears the offhand damage calculation may have a slight error. By default in 5E you don't add your ability modifier to the damage roll for an offhand attack when using two weapon fighting unless the modifier is negative. The new feature seems to drop the modifier completely even if its negative.

Moon Wizard
December 9th, 2020, 03:29
Thanks for reporting. I'll take a look at it.

Regards,
JPG

kromtor
December 9th, 2020, 20:31
Experienced the same issues as carpenter 2003 about damage calculation, and also (not so important, but still..) there are many weapons that cannot be equipped as an offhand weapon, so this option should not be available for these.
Thanks for your continual support and efforts in improving!

Best regards from Italy!

Kromtor.

Zacchaeus
December 9th, 2020, 21:02
Experienced the same issues as carpenter 2003 about damage calculation, and also (not so important, but still..) there are many weapons that cannot be equipped as an offhand weapon, so this option should not be available for these.
Thanks for your continual support and efforts in improving!

Best regards from Italy!

Kromtor.

Yes, Moon Wizard is aware of some issues. there will be an update in the next few days which adds a bit more code (quote from Discord).

Also whilst it may be useful to blot out weapons which can't be used offhand it is unlikely that code will be applied to handle that since that would lock off an option that some DMs might allow. Generally things don't get locked down too tightly since there's always an exception to the rule (well nearly always anyway).

LordEntrails
December 9th, 2020, 22:26
Generally things don't get locked down too tightly since there's always an exception to the rule (well nearly always anyway).
Except when...

Jiminimonka
December 9th, 2020, 23:47
So no need for the Weapon Handling extension any more :) Nice one. (and it causes an error if you use the extension and the latest FGU)

ironsplitter
December 9th, 2020, 23:52
Not sure where to post the problem. I posted this in https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47341-Extension-Weapon-Handling-Versatile-and-Offhand-attack but probably not the right place.

In FG Classic, with no extensions, the off-hand adjustment is not working consistently for some weapons, such as daggers. Meaning, when switching to off-hand, the damage does not remove the modifier.

Moon Wizard
December 10th, 2020, 00:46
There will be a fix next Tuesday where Finesse weapons will be auto-handled when using "Base" ability; and then daggers for high Dex characters can be switched back to Base.
It also includes support for ability penalties when using off-hand.

JPG

Eroc999
December 10th, 2020, 04:58
Was working fine for me until I updated FGU today. Now I get a script execution error: [string 'campaign/scripts/char_weapon.lua]: 343 attempt to call field 'hasWeaponProperty' (a nil value)

Garrick147
December 10th, 2020, 15:03
Wasn't sure where to post this question? They just did a update on December 8th and it included a update to Versatile and off-hand weapons, How ever I prefer the one i have been using which is an extension. My question is, is there a way to turn off the new update? My apologies if this is a Repeated question I did read through the thread and didn't see anything about it.

Zacchaeus
December 10th, 2020, 15:47
Wasn't sure where to post this question? They just did a update on December 8th and it included a update to Versatile and off-hand weapons, How ever I prefer the one i have been using which is an extension. My question is, is there a way to turn off the new update? My apologies if this is a Repeated question I did read through the thread and didn't see anything about it.

No.

LordEntrails
December 10th, 2020, 17:47
You (or an extension author) can write an extension that overwrites and removes or changes core functionality.

Smoltok
December 11th, 2020, 16:41
Hi, the primary hand option didn't work here.

Maybe a pb with on of the extension I use ?

SilentRuin
December 11th, 2020, 16:57
Hi, the primary hand option didn't work here.

Maybe a pb with on of the extension I use ?

Easy for you to determine. Turn off all extensions - then try and see if it works. If it does - problem is the extension - which FG cannot solve for you - hence EXTENSIONS = RISK philosophy I harp on :)

Chuckhdtv
December 15th, 2020, 18:28
In the future, will it look for the Two Weapon fighting style? The use of a shield should prevent you from using versatile with 2 hands. It should also show the status of that weapon attack. I want to know if the PC used it's main hand twice of if he used the off hand as supposed. I also want to know if he used that long sword with 2 hands.

LordEntrails
December 15th, 2020, 19:11
In the future, will it look for the Two Weapon fighting style? The use of a shield should prevent you from using versatile with 2 hands. It should also show the status of that weapon attack. I want to know if the PC used it's main hand twice of if he used the off hand as supposed. I also want to know if he used that long sword with 2 hands.
Generally FG does not enforce rule restrictions because that gets in the way of homebrew and individual GM rulings. So I can assume the devs would not do such, but it's always possible :)

mattekure
December 15th, 2020, 19:16
Generally FG does not enforce rule restrictions because that gets in the way of homebrew and individual GM rulings. So I can assume the devs would not do such, but it's always possible :)

I agree its not likely they will include restrictions by default, but it could certainly be added via extension the same way the Weapon Handling extension worked.

Chuckhdtv
December 15th, 2020, 19:27
I agree its not likely they will include restrictions by default, but it could certainly be added via extension the same way the Weapon Handling extension worked.

Then it should at least state the status in the chat window when rolling damages. Nothing if normal, Offhand and 2 handed. So the DM and players will know what’s going on.

LordEntrails
December 15th, 2020, 22:14
Then it should at least state the status in the chat window when rolling damages. Nothing if normal, Offhand and 2 handed. So the DM and players will know what’s going on.
Sounds like a great enhancement/feature request. You can make it here;)
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/group/7

Moon Wizard
December 15th, 2020, 22:47
I actually thought about that in passing; but wasn't sure if I should clutter the output with the information. Let me think about it.

Regards,
JPG

SilentRuin
December 15th, 2020, 23:15
I actually thought about that in passing; but wasn't sure if I should clutter the output with the information. Let me think about it.

Regards,
JPG

Maybe an option on if it happens or not. Because I simply HATE stuff that scrolls important information off of chat - and this is not important - at least to me. Especially when there are advantage rolls - damage rolls - or other roll side effects that I want to remain visible (not scroll off chat screen to make room for information that is not KEY).

LordEntrails
December 15th, 2020, 23:42

Regards,
JPG
I would keep it simple. Like a two letter abbreviation following the Attack if its Off Hand or Two Hand. Like;
"Attack (M):"
"Attack (M-OH):"
"Attack (M-2H):"

Moon Wizard
December 15th, 2020, 23:44
Yeah, I was mostly thinking along the lines of what @LordEntrails suggestion. Options bloat is also a concern; so better to do something small and automatic.

Regards,
JPG

Chuckhdtv
December 16th, 2020, 00:11
I would keep it simple. Like a two letter abbreviation following the Attack if its Off Hand or Two Hand. Like;
"Attack (M):"
"Attack (M-OH):"
"Attack (M-2H):"

That’s what I was thinking about. Very simple but the info is there if needed. But since it mainly affects damages maybe more something like:
[DAMAGE (M)] Longsword[TYPE:slashing(1d8+2)]
[DAMAGE (M)] Longsword[OH][TYPE:slashing(1d8)]
[DAMAGE (M)] Longsword[2H][TYPE:slashing(1d10+2)]

SilentRuin
December 16th, 2020, 01:49
Yeah, I was mostly thinking along the lines of what @LordEntrails suggestion. Options bloat is also a concern; so better to do something small and automatic.

Regards,
JPG

That sounds good - small footprint.

EliForge
December 27th, 2020, 05:45
With this new capability, what's the best way to handle Great Weapon Fighting with versatile weapons used two-handed (say, Longsword...)?

The "reroll 2" property doesn't seem like it will work, as it simply applies all the time.

Best to have two different weapons created - a 1H longsword and a 2H longsword?

Kelrugem
December 27th, 2020, 06:15
With this new capability, what's the best way to handle Great Weapon Fighting with versatile weapons used two-handed (say, Longsword...)?

The "reroll 2" property doesn't seem like it will work, as it simply applies all the time.

Best to have two different weapons created - a 1H longsword and a 2H longsword?

I think reroll 2 should work, just beware, that its chat message always shows that you have this property then, also when there was no roll lower or equal than 2 :) The chat message when something actually got rerolled looks slightly different (but beware, there is no separate physical roll for that)

EliForge
December 27th, 2020, 06:33
I think reroll 2 should work, just beware, that its chat message always shows that you have this property then, also when there was no roll lower or equal than 2 :) The chat message when something actually got rerolled looks slightly different (but beware, there is no separate physical roll for that)

Appreciate the very speedy reply. REROLL 2 works fine, but it works all the time.

Here's my problem. If the character is wielding the longsword one-handed, I do not want the "reroll 2" to apply, because it is coming from Great Weapon Fighting.

What am I missing from your response?

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2020, 10:35
I think Kel slightly misunderstood the question. You answered it yourself I think in the first post. For the exception of Great Weapon Fighting you'll need to create a second weapon line to handle it separately from the one handed version (in other words don't use the versatile button to swap between one and two-handed fighting with a versatile weapon.

Jiminimonka
December 27th, 2020, 11:55
Does this new automation automatically un-equip shields when you switch to 2-hand?

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2020, 12:49
Does this new automation automatically un-equip shields when you switch to 2-hand?

Not that I'm aware of.

Kelrugem
December 27th, 2020, 16:59
Appreciate the very speedy reply. REROLL 2 works fine, but it works all the time.

Here's my problem. If the character is wielding the longsword one-handed, I do not want the "reroll 2" to apply, because it is coming from Great Weapon Fighting.

What am I missing from your response?

Oh, yes, I indeed misunderstood it :D You wrote "as it simply applies all the time.", and I thought your problem is then that every die is rerolled :D

mdrichey
December 27th, 2020, 18:06
There will be a fix next Tuesday where Finesse weapons will be auto-handled when using "Base" ability; and then daggers for high Dex characters can be switched back to Base.
It also includes support for ability penalties when using off-hand.

JPG

Did this fix end up rolling out? I just tested it with a character with higher Dex than Str, and it is using the Str for the finesse weapon. "Base" is selected.

Kelrugem
December 27th, 2020, 18:08
Did this fix end up rolling out? I just tested it with a character with higher Dex than Str, and it is using the Str for the finesse weapon. "Base" is selected.

as far as I know, yes, it is already fixed :) Make sure that you test without extensions, some extension may overwrite that fix :)

mdrichey
December 27th, 2020, 18:20
as far as I know, yes, it is already fixed :) Make sure that you test without extensions, some extension may overwrite that fix :)

It was the "Advanced Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters))" extension that was causing it not to work. I downloaded the latest update to that extension and it works perfectly now.

EliForge
December 28th, 2020, 07:17
Oh, yes, I indeed misunderstood it :D You wrote "as it simply applies all the time.", and I thought your problem is then that every die is rerolled :D

I worried that my question was not phrased well. I'm glad we sorted it all out. Thanks to you both for the quick assistance!!!