PDA

View Full Version : GCS or GCA and magic items

Fezzik Buttercup
December 7th, 2020, 20:35
Has anyone figured out how to make a magic item in GCS (I haven't looked at GCA yet).?

seycyrus
December 7th, 2020, 21:08
Has anyone figured out how to make a magic item in GCS (I haven't looked at GCA yet).?

Sorry, but I know a bit about doing it in GCA. And it depends on what you mean by "make a magic item". If you mean, to make it so that it automatically adds a bonus to hit and/or damage, then I don't think we have that level of automation in the Gurps Ruleset. You can however, make a character (in GCA) with an equipped item and add all the specials to the magic item. The item's weight will be correctly calculated as well as its value. The other things will appear inthe notes section on the item, I believe.

Fezzik Buttercup
December 7th, 2020, 21:44
I have an old character I'm converting for fun; he has a +5 ring of strength. I'll take a longer look at GCA and see if I can figure something out.

It seems that not all the spells are available to be added... or I just haven't found the right item to test (tried a shoe, but it might be armour and not clothing) for Boost Attribute
(rings are available in GCS from low tech, but not in GCA :mad: )

Jaxilon
December 9th, 2020, 23:57
I'm not sure what you mean by not available in GCA because I have been able to create a "Store" in GCA (basically a character I named say, 'Weapons shop') and load up all kinds of things. I then use the Mod Maker application to create a .mod file that allows me to have a ton of items in Fantasy Grounds.

Unless you mean how do you make a new item from scratch in GCA. I've done that as well but I'm not good at it.

Jaxilon
December 10th, 2020, 00:01
I have an old character I'm converting for fun; he has a +5 ring of strength. I'll take a longer look at GCA and see if I can figure something out.

It seems that not all the spells are available to be added... or I just haven't found the right item to test (tried a shoe, but it might be armour and not clothing) for Boost Attribute
(rings are available in GCS from low tech, but not in GCA :mad: )

It sounds like you may need to add the correct books for what you want. Just go to Tools>Options and make sure your Data Sets include the world books you want.

Maybe I don't understand the question but I hope that helps.

Fezzik Buttercup
December 10th, 2020, 03:22
I've figured out a little bit how to do it in GCS; I have to take a longer look at GCA to figure that out more (I managed to create the +5 ST ring that started me down this rabbit hole in GCS after i ffigured out how to add features directly... I still don't know if you could do the items from the spells themselves, but I suspect not; at least not with any library that I have... unless I'm completely out to lunch :) )

I checked the ring in FGU; if it's unequiped, it still gives the bonus, so that's a thing to remember. I also deleted the item, and the bonus stayed. I expected it would (you guys are doing GREAT with the ruleset, but this is getting into nit-picking territory :) )

If you unequip it, the ST doesn't change (in this case it went up to 16 from 11, then stayed there when it was unequiped and removed from the character.

Fezzik Buttercup
December 10th, 2020, 21:59
So far I haven't figured out how to add a specific spell (for example Purify Air [because it's just about the first spell in the book :) ]) to an item. Some other things it isn't hard to 'fake' at all, but making a basic magic item in both programs seems to be either not possible, or I just don't understand how to use the tags to make an item like that (because the documentation is lacking).
I have a forum post in the GCA in SJG forums to see if anyone there knows too.

I did manage to do something in GCS, but it only ADDS the spell levels IF you already have the spell; which is nearly there; I suppose you could put 0 points in the spell for the bonus to show up.... but that seems bulky; come to think of it, since the ruleset doesn't currently calculate skill levels from points put in that would be an option...
So if I could figure out how to do the same thing in GCA then I might be onto something, at least as a stop gap measure.

If you're still reading this I'm done rambling trying to figure this out for now :)

Fezzik Buttercup
December 10th, 2020, 22:19

Not really elegant , but it works. As long as you add (in this case) Purify Air to the spell list and change the points to 0. I don't know why I had to add the extra 1 for 115 but it must have something to do with the original being +owner:: level to SP:####

The same doesn't work for GCS; if you put 0 points in a spell, you get no bonus from the ring of Purify Air (and when put a point in it shoots up to 15 + whatever the normal skill would be; so that's not on :)

Need to check a GCA character to see if it will add the same way in FG with an item like that

Jaxilon
December 11th, 2020, 06:19
I've figured out a little bit how to do it in GCS; I have to take a longer look at GCA to figure that out more (I managed to create the +5 ST ring that started me down this rabbit hole in GCS after i ffigured out how to add features directly... I still don't know if you could do the items from the spells themselves, but I suspect not; at least not with any library that I have... unless I'm completely out to lunch :) )

I checked the ring in FGU; if it's unequiped, it still gives the bonus, so that's a thing to remember. I also deleted the item, and the bonus stayed. I expected it would (you guys are doing GREAT with the ruleset, but this is getting into nit-picking territory :) )

If you unequip it, the ST doesn't change (in this case it went up to 16 from 11, then stayed there when it was unequiped and removed from the character.

That sounds like something we need to dig into. We don't want once equiped items to forever apply bonuses.

Fezzik Buttercup
December 11th, 2020, 18:02
That sounds like something we need to dig into. We don't want once equiped items to forever apply bonuses.

I've noticed it (and probably other people might have too) that it also occurs when you add/delete advantages/disadvantages etc. I think it was ok when you added or deducted point totals from the attributes (and I realize it isn't modifying those yet, that may come in time if we can whack SJG over the head hard enough :)