PDA

View Full Version : FGU Crashes running Starfinder with all Paizo SF modules loaded

kalaolani
December 7th, 2020, 18:37
With the following list of modules loaded, FGU has been crashing at random times, at least 3 to 5 times in a 4 hour session with 5 to 6 players connected using LAN.

Modules Loaded...
Core Rules
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Player Resources
Dead Suns, Part 1, Incident at Absalom Station, Player's Resource
Dead Suns, Part 2, Temple of the Twelve, Player's Resource
Starfinder
Starfinder Alien Archive
Starfinder Alien Archive (Players)
Starfinder Alien Archive 2
Starfinder Alien Archive 2 (Players)
Starfinder Alien Archive 3 (GM)
Starfinder Alien Archive 3 (Players)
Starfinder Armory
Starfinder Characters Operations Manual
Starfinder Near Space
Starfinder Near Space (Players)
Starfinder Pact Worlds
Starfinder Pact Worlds (Players)
Starfinder Starship Operations Manual

kalaolani
December 7th, 2020, 18:39
Because we had so many crashes, during the last session: 8 in total for a 4 hour period. I tested the following during the next session and avoided any crashes...

Modules Loaded...
Core Rules
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Player Resources
Starfinder
Starfinder Armory

Anyone know of any issues with any of the following modules?

Starfinder Alien Archive
Starfinder Alien Archive (Players)
Starfinder Alien Archive 2
Starfinder Alien Archive 2 (Players)
Starfinder Alien Archive 3 (GM)
Starfinder Alien Archive 3 (Players)
Starfinder Characters Operations Manual
Starfinder Near Space
Starfinder Near Space (Players)
Starfinder Pact Worlds
Starfinder Pact Worlds (Players)
Starfinder Starship Operations Manual

superteddy57
December 7th, 2020, 19:01
We would need more information to help. What were you doing prior to crashing? Can you compile and show the logs related to those sessions? Do you have any extensions loaded?

See if you can try to replicate the issue and grab the information requested. This will help us track down what might be causing the crashing.

kalaolani
December 7th, 2020, 19:15
Thanks for the reply...

What were you doing prior to crashing?
Playing the game... Nothing in particular, but we always notice tons of laggy-ness with FGU about 5 minutes to 30 minutes before a crash. The 6 to 7 of us involved (GM and players) have not been able to identify a specific action like "I clicked on this in my char sheet" or "I loaded a module" or "I opened Items and tried to filter." Although the last 2 crashes, we were particular alert. All of us were just staring at open windows of text or reading the chat.

Can you compile and show the logs related to those sessions?
I would love to do that. How does one compile and show the logs for a session?

Do you have any extensions loaded?
No extensions loaded.

We were able to maintain stability for a 3 hour session when I only loaded the following modules...
Core Rules
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Player Resources
Starfinder
Starfinder Armory

LordEntrails
December 7th, 2020, 19:22
Logs can be found here;
<FG Data Folder> opened with folder icon from FG launch screen
- console.log & console-prev.log
- network.log & network-prev.log
- FGUpdaterEngine.log & FGUpdater-prev.log

Once you start FGU, the logs rotate so it's best to either grab them before your session ends using the method I detail below, or manually from the location above. To compile the logs during a session, open the console window by typing /console in the chat window. Then from the window that pops up, select the Compile Logs button. It will create a zip file on your desktop that has all the logs files in it.

LordEntrails
December 7th, 2020, 19:24
Also, I just noticed from the FG launch screen, the menu looking button next to the folder icon (top left) also will open the console window and allow you to Compile Logs as well.

kalaolani
December 7th, 2020, 21:02
Thanks superteddy57 and LordEntrails ... Unfortunately, the logs from the previous sessions are lost, but I've created a bash script to run FGU and archive logs after FGU has exited. I will follow up this thread, after I have more information.

superteddy57
December 7th, 2020, 21:47
Thanks superteddy57 and LordEntrails ... Unfortunately, the logs from the previous sessions are lost, but I've created a bash script to run FGU and archive logs after FGU has exited. I will follow up this thread, after I have more information.

Thank you! Appreciate it!

kalaolani
June 9th, 2021, 15:22
Follow up post to share good news ... After about 2 years, FGU on Linux has finally become as stable and usable for SFRPG as was FG classic for 5E before and during the Smiteworks general release FGU transition.

FGU: v4.1.3 ULTIMATE (2021-06-01)
GRAPHICS: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10, DRM 3.40.0, 5.12.9-300.fc34.x86_64, LLVM 12.0.0) : 6787
MODULEs: Dead Suns, Part 1, Incident at Absalom Station, Dead Suns, Part 1, Incident at Absalom Station, Player's Resources, Dead Suns, Part 2, Temple of the Twelve, Dead Suns, Part 2, Temple of the Twelve, Player's Resources, Dead Suns, Part 3, Splintered Worlds, Dead Suns, Part 3, Splintered Worlds, Player's Resources, Starfinder Alien Archive, Starfinder Alien Archive (Players), Starfinder Alien Archive 2, Starfinder Alien Archive 2 (Players), Starfinder Alien Archive 3 (GM), Starfinder Alien Archive 3 (Players), Starfinder Armory, Starfinder Characters Operation Manual, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Starfinder Near Space, Starfinder Near Space (Players), Starfinder Pact Worlds. Starfinder Pact Worlds (Players), and Starfinder Starship Operations Manual

The campaign was up and active for about 4 hours with no issues, and, as a test, I left the campaign up over night for another 8 hours, and no crash. Things are finally looking up for us and FGU. The players love the changes to the gray theme including the more legible fonts and clearer Hit/Miss indicators.