PDA

View Full Version : Program Issues

Jesterspark
December 7th, 2020, 10:45
I have been using Fantasy Grounds Classic for my group and recently I have been having an issue where my players are unable to load modules despite me sharing them as well as them not being able to see tokens besides their own on battlemaps. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this and/or how I would go about fixing it? It is really frustrating to not be able to use these resources when playing as my players like them and so do I.

damned
December 7th, 2020, 11:50
How big is your specific campaign folder in size?
How much RAM is FantasyGrounds.exe using when this occurs?

LordEntrails
December 7th, 2020, 17:24
As damned is getting at, you probably have too much content shared with your players. If you can answer his questions, we can verify that. If so, you will need to unshare some content with them. Usually this is images/maps and/or tokens.

Remember, FGC is a 32 bit application and regardless of how much memory is available to the computer, a single 32-bit process can only use something like 3.5GB and you will see issues once your player's approach 3GB.

Jesterspark
December 7th, 2020, 20:23
How big is your specific campaign folder in size?
How much RAM is FantasyGrounds.exe using when this occurs?

It hasn't been using any more RAM than normal for me and the campaign folder is 17.3MB which is smaller than the folder for the campaign that we recently finished up which was 211MB. I even went through and consolidated all of my homebrew content into a single module to try and curb the amount of individual things that needed loading.

LordEntrails
December 7th, 2020, 22:22
It's not how much is in your campaign folder, it is how much is shared.

The host client behaves differently than the player client does. The host client only opens images when requested, the player client opens all images as soon as they connect to the game. Hence players can hit the 3GB limit much earlier than a GM. As GM, go through your shared images and unshare everything that is not currently needed. You can share again in the future.

Also, know that file size on disk for an image is NOT the same size that the image uses in RAM. File size can be a tiny fraction of what is used in RAM. So again, you might say, the image is only 1MB on disk, but it could be 1 GB in RAM and hence a major contributor to the problem.

RAM is what's important. How much RAM is your host/gm client using? How much for your players when they are connected to you?

Jesterspark
December 8th, 2020, 08:42
My host client is using 1559MB of RAM. Though I don't know that it is a memory issue as all of the individual files have either stayed the same size or gotten smaller since we have recently started a new campaign and as such only really have the modules loaded with minimal custom additions. I'm thinking of switching to the Unity version for the campaign is the issue doesn't resolve as while it still has some stuff to work out it also brings more utility to the table.

Trenloe
December 8th, 2020, 14:32
Get the players to clear their cache before joining your game - click the nuke button in the top right of the Join Game screen.

What ruleset are you using?

What exactly happen for not being able to load modules - can they see them in the Module Activation screen? If they can see them, exactly what happens when they click the "Load" button?

Jesterspark
December 8th, 2020, 20:44
Get the players to clear their cache before joining your game - click the nuke button in the top right of the Join Game screen.

What ruleset are you using?

What exactly happen for not being able to load modules - can they see them in the Module Activation screen? If they can see them, exactly what happens when they click the "Load" button?

I am using the 5e ruleset. They can see the modules in the Module Activation screen, however when try try to load them they do not load, one of them had a single module set to try and load for 3 hours while we were trying to play. I'll try having them nuke their cache when I can and get back to you on that front though.

EDIT: After testing with one of my players nuking the cache did not solve the issue of modules not loading.

LordEntrails
December 8th, 2020, 21:35
Have a player check the process monitor and tell us how large the fantasygrounds.exe process is.

As said earlier, client and host architecture are different and in most cases players will encounter issues due to process size limits long before a gm will.

Trenloe
December 9th, 2020, 10:47
Who is your ISP?