PDA

View Full Version : Import tables - Excel and Sheets trick to clean up data

RCathcart
December 6th, 2020, 18:22
Super easy Excel (or Google Sheets) trick so you don't need to muck about with other programs to clean up your table import data.

In an Excel table, put in EXTRA columns in between the columns you already have and fill those extra columns with colons, top to bottom. Then copy and paste the table to FG table import, choose the delimited option, choose "separated by colons" and whatever other options you need, and you are done!

Example. The table below was pasted straight from Excel using this method. That extra column of colons flawlessly separates the record data.

Roll : Type of Beggar
1-2 : Naturally blind
3-4 : Blinded by torture or injury
5-6 : Broken limbs
7-8 : Missing limbs
9-10 : Badly burned by magic
11-12 : Cursed or Geased to beg
13-14 : Toothless
15-16 : Buried under layers upon layers of rotten clothing
17-18 : Inebriated nearly beyond comprehension
19-20 : Touched by the gods
21-22 : One-eyed
23-24 : Bizarre Beggar

dellanx
December 10th, 2020, 14:57
RCathcart thank you for sharing, this makes for a varied role playing apportunity.

If I was to make this into a random table in Fantasy Grounds, I would break it up as follows:

Table 1 Roll 1d4

On Roll 1 - Table 1.1
1-2 : Naturally blind
3-4 : Blinded by torture or injury
5-6 : Broken limbs

On Roll 2 - Table 1.2
1-2 : Missing limbs
3-4 : Badly burned by magic
5-6 : Cursed or Geased to beg

On Roll 3 - Table 1.3
1-2 : Toothless
3-4 : Buried under layers upon layers of rotten clothing
5-6 : Inebriated nearly beyond comprehension

On Roll 4 - Table 1.4
1-2 : Touched by the gods
3-4 : One-eyed
5-6 : Bizarre Beggar

Do you have a list of Bizarre Beggar types? Because that could be a whole new sub-table.

RCathcart
December 11th, 2020, 20:33
Honestly, I was just using this as a random example. I pulled it off some website (I can't even remember which!). My post was really about how to clean up formatting in Excel because so many of us use it (and things like it).