PDA

View Full Version : mage armor, how powerful is it ?

Langs
December 6th, 2020, 15:42
hi

so i run a campaign and we have abit of a issue with mage armor, the sorcere in the party think that it add a force field so that mage armor give +4 armor to all that its cast on , also ppl with a armor on allready , I think the book say it pretty clear that its a armor bonus an there by dont add to ppl with a armor on allready .

so what do you all think is correct?

Kelrugem
December 6th, 2020, 16:19
hi

so i run a campaign and we have abit of a issue with mage armor, the sorcere in the party think that it add a force field so that mage armor give +4 armor to all that its cast on , also ppl with a armor on allready , I think the book say it pretty clear that its a armor bonus an there by dont add to ppl with a armor on allready .

No, it does not stack; armor AC is of type "armor" and the spell, too, so, they are both of the same bonus type and therefore they do not stack :) (there is also no exceptional rule for that type)

Svandal
December 6th, 2020, 16:38
hi

My tip is don't use the description of the spell to guess what it does. If the spell does not explicit say that it does something it does not do it. There are exeptions that are up to interpretation, but I think this is a good foundation when trying to figure out spells.

From the description it sounds like that it is a force field and that there should not be any reason it could not stack with armor. But it says armor bonus, and it does not say it stacks with other armor, so it does not.

Asgurgolas
December 6th, 2020, 18:28
If a character already wears armor it's pretty much useless UNLESS the enemy is an incorporeal creature, in which case the armor would get ignored, but that +4 will still work