PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Add Specific Type Target Damage to Weapon...Not Working...Help!

MenzelG
December 6th, 2020, 07:47
I want to add additional damage of a specific type to a weapon if the type of creature being attacked is a Fey. I've tried adding it the Properties field on the weapon and I've tried it a couple different ways:

[IFT: TYPE(Fey); DMG:1d4, cold]
IFT: TYPE(Fey); DMG:1d4, cold

The target creature I've been working with is a sprite, which is a Type = Fey

It doesn't really matter the weapon type but, in this case, I'm trying to add it to a Battle Axe.
So, I want it to do:
1d8 S + 1d4 cold if it's a Fey
1d8 S if it's not a Fey

Is this even possible? Have I messed up the formatting in some way? Please Help!

damned
December 6th, 2020, 08:46
Try:

IFT: TYPE (fey); DMG: 1d4, cold

MenzelG
December 6th, 2020, 21:12
I tried that, both uppercase and lowercase Fey/fey and added it in different spots. These are the uppercase versions. It seems like it should be a really easy thing to do but, still not working.

damned
December 6th, 2020, 21:31
If you do it without cold does it work?
If you do the same thing and target undead does it work?

MenzelG
December 7th, 2020, 04:19
Removing the “cold” so it looked like IFT: TYPE (Fey); DMG: 1d4 or IFT: TYPE (fey); DMG: 1d4, (I tried both) and attacking a sprite didn’t work.

Leaving the “cold” but changing it to be IFT: TYPE (undead); DMG: 1d4, cold, the damage was ignored because I attacked a zombie. When I removed cold, the extra 1d4 was ignored.

I couldn't get ATK:1 or DMG: 1d4 to work either.

When I created an effect (see image below) and applied it to myself it worked fine. Why won't it work when you just add it directly to a weapon though?

Here's an unrelated but odd thing. I did enough damage to kill a Zombie and it put an Unconscious effect on the dwarf I had attack him.

celestian
December 7th, 2020, 06:42
I want to add additional damage of a specific type to a weapon if the type of creature being attacked is a Fey. I've tried adding it the Properties field on the weapon and I've tried it a couple different ways:

It doesn't really matter the weapon type but, in this case, I'm trying to add it to a Battle Axe.
So, I want it to do:
1d8 S if it's not a Fey

Is this even possible? Have I messed up the formatting in some way? Please Help!

It might seem odd to ask, but what ruleset are you using (they include DCC here)?

IFT:type(fey);DMG:1d6 cold

Should work in the 2E ruleset. I just tested using undead and worked fine.

https://i.imgur.com/mCC6LBV.png

MenzelG
December 7th, 2020, 07:33
I'm running 2e. I've gotten it to work as an effect, which is what it looks like you have there but, was is added to the weapon itself or created as a separate power/effect that you turn on whenever you're using the weapon?

Zacchaeus
December 7th, 2020, 09:09
I'm running 2e. I've gotten it to work as an effect, which is what it looks like you have there but, was is added to the weapon itself or created as a separate power/effect that you turn on whenever you're using the weapon?

The character needs to be placed on the combat tracker and have the weapon equipped for the effect to work. I believe that's what Celestain has done in his graphic and that's how the effect should look when the character is on the CT.

celestian
December 7th, 2020, 15:35

If you have added effects to a weapon and the weapon is equipped and the character is in the CT it should work. The only thing that you need to make sure is set, the "on action" flag in the effect on the weapon. That makes sure that the only time the effect is used is on that weapon, not every single attack/power the character uses.

MenzelG
December 7th, 2020, 17:38
For all of the testing that I did, the weapon was equipped and the character was in the CT. When I attempted to create the effect as a part of the weapon itself, I couldn't get it to work...it ignored it. When I created the same effect as a separate power, with the exact same text, and turned it on, it worked fine but, it would essentially be applied for every single attack regardless of the weapon being used. The results look like the screenshots that you attached. I've attached screenshots of everything I have to try and show what I've done.

Image of the weapon being equipped with NO effect built into the weapon

Image of the effect created as a power

Image of the character in the CT and the effect turned on

Damage results. You can see the

You can see the effect is being applied in the Damage Results image.

Would it be possible to get screen shots of where/how you configured the weapon itself? If I understand what you are saying, you have the effect set up as a part of the weapon and not separate like I have it and I'm doing something wrong. I just need to figure out what it is.

celestian
December 7th, 2020, 17:55
Not sure exactly what you are going for, perhaps you are not aware of the effects on weapons but...

Testing locally this works for me.

https://i.imgur.com/zTILAvs.png

Sterno
December 7th, 2020, 18:05

So, I want it to do:
1d8 S if it's not a Fey

I'm not sure if it makes a different in the parser, but since nothing else has worked for you yet, have you tried removing the comma between the damage and "cold"?

I know "DMG: 1d4 cold" should work, but yours is written as "DMG: 1d4, cold" and maybe it's causing a parsing problem? Based on your screenshots, you have it with a comma in the weapon (where it's not working) but without a comma in the effect (where it is working).

MenzelG
December 7th, 2020, 18:18
Thank you! With that image we finally got on the same page. I thought there were effects on the weapons but, I was adding them in the wrong place. Now that I saw your example, I realized what I was doing wrong and I got it to work. Thanks for your patience and working through this with me!

celestian
December 7th, 2020, 18:27
Thank you! With that image we finally got on the same page. I thought there were effects on the weapons but, I was adding them in the wrong place. Now that I saw your example, I realized what I was doing wrong and I got it to work. Thanks for your patience and working through this with me!

We all start from somewhere ;) FG is fairly complex in some areas. Glad to hear it's working.

MenzelG
December 7th, 2020, 18:52
I've probably missed this somewhere but, is there a list of the NPC types and damage types that exist in 2e and can that list be modified if I wanted to add something to either one? I don't currently have anything I want to add but, thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Sterno
December 7th, 2020, 20:42
From what I see in the code, the currently existing damage types are:

ENERGY TYPES
"acid", "cold", "fire", "force", "lightning", "necrotic", "poison", "psychic", "radiant", "thunder", "adamantine",

WEAPON PROPERTY DAMAGE TYPES
"bludgeoning", "cold-forged iron", "magic", "piercing", "silver", "slashing", "critical",

SPECIAL DAMAGE TYPES
"magic +1", "magic +2", "magic +3", "magic +4", "magic +5", "magic +6"

NPC types have less to do with the code and more to do with whatever is set on the NPCs you're using, so you can really do whatever you want, but the ones listed in the code are:

Creature Types
"aberration", "beast", "celestial", "construct", "dragon", "elemental", "fey", "fiend", "giant", "humanoid", "monstrosity", "ooze", "plant", "undead"

Creature Subtypes
"aarakocra", "bullywug", "demon", "devil", "dragonborn", "dwarf", "elf", "gith", "gnoll", "gnome", "goblinoid", "grimlock", "halfling", "human", "kenku", "kuo-toa", "kobold", "lizardfolk", "living construct", "merfolk", "orc", "quaggoth", "sahuagin", "shapechanger", "thri-kreen", "titan", "troglodyte", "yuan-ti", "yugoloth"

celestian
December 7th, 2020, 20:55
I've probably missed this somewhere but, is there a list of the NPC types and damage types that exist in 2e and can that list be modified if I wanted to add something to either one? I don't currently have anything I want to add but, thought I'd ask. Thanks!

There are no static NPC types. Anything type you can search on will work. The static ones that Sterno linked are a hold over from early days.

https://i.imgur.com/LLZLPVn.png