PDA

View Full Version : Getting FGII to Recognize a ruleset.

SephDragoon
May 24th, 2007, 23:49
Ok, I copy and pasted the d20.pak to start on a new ruleset for the game, but when I open up Fantasy Grounds II, it doesn't even show the new ruleset to even BEGIN to work on a new ruleset. How the heck do I get it to recognize? There are like no files here to even be editing as far as I can see.

Toadwart
May 25th, 2007, 02:14
This has been covered elsewhere but a quick overview:
- Run the d20unpak exe (in the folder where FGII is installed - usually c:\program files\fantasy grounds II\)

- Go to the folder where FGII keeps it's rulesets (c:\Documents and Settings\yourwindowsusername\Application Data\FGII\) The ApplicationData folder is hidden so you may have to go into the windows explorer->tools->folder options to "Show hidden files and folders" (on the "View" tab)

Now you should be able to find the ...\Application Data\FGII\examples folder which should have a d20_ruleset folder (created when you ran the unpack exe)

Copy that into the ..\Application Data\rulesets folder and rename it. You should new be able to start customizing that new ruleset.

Remember to re-run the unpacker exe when FGII is updated so the example folder has the latest files. And note that you would have to manually copy any changes in an update across to your custom ruleset ...

----------------------

Something I have tried, but am not completely happy with, is to create a new ruleset folder and copy the d20 example in as a subfolder
e.g. Application Data\rulesets\ToadwartsRuleset\d20
Then I copy the base.xml file from the d20 folder up into my ToadwartsRuleset folder and manually go through all the d20 folders changing all the filepaths to be prefixed with "d20\" it's a bit of a pain initially but once it's all set up you can add in new files to your own base.xml file while still including all of the standard d20 files, slowly fasing them out as your ruleset evolves...

Anyone else have bright ideas for how to do this? Under FGI it was lot easier because it defaulted to using the inbuilt files where you hadn't specifically overridden them. FGII doesn't seem to do this - seems to require a full set of files inside your ruleset folder...

kalmarjan
May 25th, 2007, 02:40
Personaly I find that the first way is the best way. FGI relied on absolute paths in the XML, which was a pain to update them as you created/renamed a ruleset. By copying the base ruleset, since all paths in the XML are pretty much relative, you can just paste over the individual elements that you want to change. (At least graphically that is. ;) )

Sandeman

Foen
May 25th, 2007, 07:26
You might also want to have a look at my post on PAK files Here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6276).

Stuart
(Foen)

SephDragoon
May 25th, 2007, 16:36
hm... I knew about the pak files... they are glorified zip files. So that was not a problem... the problem was, I had no idea where to put it. Thanks guys, this helps alot.

So yes... skip the unpak.exe, and unzip instead for me :P

SephDragoon
May 25th, 2007, 17:11
Ok, now next thing... how do I get it to update? I keep restarting the application, but none of my changes to the XML show up in the program. I can't change any of the text, nor any properties to the window.

Foen
May 25th, 2007, 17:32
If you are playing with the d20 ruleset, you won't be able to change it. For d20, FGII uses its internal set (actually held in a PAK file in the application directory) and anything you put in the rulesets directory will be ignored.

You should rename your ruleset (say, to 'dnd') and then you will be able to see changes etc.

Be aware that ruleset names and their directory names, seem to be case sensitive in some situations (it seemed that way when I wanted to create modules).

Cheers

Stuart
(Foen)

SephDragoon
May 25th, 2007, 22:14
I did rename it. It is renamed to d20_tyrosine. Heck, I made a ruleset for FG1, so I know some of the ins and outs. This one is pissy.

SephDragoon
May 26th, 2007, 02:47
FOund the problem, and wow that is awsome. I had been trying to make a new ruleset with a .pak before right? Well, seems that if you have a .pak there in the main folder, it treats it the same exact way as the d20.pak, it uses that instead of what is in the rulesets folder. I removed the .pak from my folder, and it worked. Thanks guys, I think I can finally get started.

Foen
May 26th, 2007, 05:54
Aye, a PAK is neater in the long-run, and it allows you to have an icon and licence file on the start screen, but is much more cumbersome while you are developing.

BTW, you don't need to restart the application to see updates to the rule files, type /save followed by /reload ruleset and that should do the trick.

Cheers

Stuart
(Foen)