PDA

View Full Version : FGII Lock-ups

Stuart
May 24th, 2007, 20:04
This has happened three times now (with two different groups) and is getting really irritating ... REALLY irritating :mad:

Players have logged in to manually transfer characters from FG1.05 to FGII and after 20 minutes to 40 minutes or so FGII has locked up and all the work they have done is lost ? At no time have more than 4 players been logged on, on one occasion a single map with a couple of tokens was also up (but not on the other two attempts).

Do they have to create locally and then transfer ? Can they do this ?

richvalle
May 24th, 2007, 21:16
I've not had that many people all working on characters at the same time but have had 6 people all on at the same time with maps (large) and tokens going with no problems. One of the players was even logged in twice and one was working on a character sheet.

This was the base d20 ruleset with no mods.

rv

Griogre
May 25th, 2007, 09:00
How are your guys "manually" transfering their characters? The parts that don't automatically transfered are not compatible - Notes, weapon slots, spellbooks.

Ram Tyr
May 25th, 2007, 13:23
We started FGI and went to view local characters and viewed the appropriate character. (Server character from Stuart's campaign.)

We started FGII and connected to Stuart's server and created a new character. At that point we simply entered data into the FGII character sheet as it appeared on the FGI character sheet manually, including the notes section of the character sheet if we wanted, etc.

Later.

Griogre
May 25th, 2007, 18:29
I surprised he didn't just transfer the characters to FG2. Probably a custom ruleset? I've seen some sceens that were very nice. It could be a problem with people *making* characters on the server at the same time, I guess. I've had people transfer local characters in and do some editing but not actually roll one up from scratch. Like richvalle I've had a bunch of people connected and usually the worse problem is tokens and maps not updating right. Last session I did have one guy crash out repeatedly but he could always rejoin and everyone else was fine.

Sigurd
May 25th, 2007, 19:42
You might try having them screen cap the old characters in FG1 and then call up the jpgs in a program like Irfanview. This has the advantage that you can have Irvanview stay on top and not dissapear.

character1,2,3,4,5,6 jpgs are easy enough to navigate and it would mean you don't have to have both programs running at once.

Sigurd

Stuart
May 25th, 2007, 20:00
Porting characters from FG1.05 to FGII via cutting and pasting from the db.xml of the campaign proved far from easy. The character code is simply not the same re-layout and tags and with 21 characters to port... :cry:

Interestingly (please explain this to me); simply dropping an FG1.05 character xml into the db for an FGII campaign works in as much that a character sheet is visible by the DM BUT sadly, the character cannot be viewed or accessed by the players.

Other oddities/differences/stuff I'm now noticing ...

1) Open an adventure module .... close the adventure module ... shut down the campaign and FGII. Try opening FGII (same campaign) ... FGII crashes once or twice and even refuses to use the backupdb.xml. A third attempt works fine. This has happened four times now.

2) Player portraits do not transfer to me ... no biggie, but from an eye candy point of view it was nice to see a dramatis personae complete with portraits.

3) Chat log lag - very noticeable even with just three players.

Stuart
May 25th, 2007, 21:51
Great ... FGII locked up again during a session and a new character was not saved ... nor was the adventure module I was building ... terrific ... that's an hour and a half of effort lost. Only two players connected, no maps, no images.

Also ... may sound trivial ... but in the past, FG crashed ... a few seconds later ... restart. A lock is more time consuming to correct.

Griogre
May 25th, 2007, 23:06
Don't forget you can /save manually. Are you just using the d20 default ruleset for FG2? It sounds like you have some incompatibilties in the character sheets. The backup db might have your scenario.

Stuart
May 25th, 2007, 23:51
default d20, I forgot about the /Save function ... irritating nonetheless.
Backup db does not have character sheets.

calvinNhobbes
May 26th, 2007, 00:49
Ack! I totally forgot about the /save function as well. I lost 2 hours of work when FGII crashed the other day :(

Toadwart
May 26th, 2007, 10:59
Yeah, something terribly wrong with the behavior Stuart experienced. I was setting up a new character when it crashed and had used the /save function myself a couple of times but it didn't help. FG had reverted back to the state it was in when we started...

My only suggestion, if you experience something like this is to /save and then manually make a backup of the db.xml file every now and then just so you don't lose too much...

joshuha
May 27th, 2007, 02:51
Stuart,
I know you had some instability with FG 1 as well. Are you using the same machine? Have you ruled out hardware as being the issue? Lockups/crashes besides purely software are usually either RAM or hard drive. Have you run some of the test programs out there to test if either has bad sectors on it?

Stuart
May 28th, 2007, 11:23
Hi Joshua - sadly, this could of course be an issue. That said ... right at this moment I am not really worried about FG's stability :D

I think by the time I try and climb back into the "saddle" my PC will need replacing, 'course by then, FGIII will be out. :p