PDA

View Full Version : Rolling up Random Encounters and Individual Treasure (help needed)

Faolan the Azure Abjurer
December 2nd, 2020, 15:53
So right now, I'm trying to prepare a random encounter table, but I'm running into a bit of a snag when it comes to know-how.

Right now, I have it set-up so the possible random encounters are set up using the Encounters (Random) menu, and I have a Table that generates whether an encounter occurs, which links to another table that determines which random encounter is used, outputting in the Chat the entry in 'Encounters (Random)', so all I have to do is click the link, then click Generate. This part works out okay, if a bit clunky.

However, the issue arises in that I want to roll for individual treasure for these random encounters. For instance, kobolds have an individual treasure of J, O. Meaning for each kobold generated in the random encounter, I roll once for row J and once for row O. However, each time I roll on the treasure tables provided in the ruleset, it creates a separate Parcel entry instead of adding the results together. :confused:

Is there a way to make rolls from the same Table get added together in the same Parcel? Is there also a more efficient/automated way to set up random encounters in this way? Ideally, I'd like to just be able to click once on a table that links to other tables, generating both the random encounter and the individual treasure, so players aren't kept waiting while I generate individual loot for x number of monsters and manually add up the coin.

celestian
December 2nd, 2020, 16:15
Each table roll will generate it's own parcel. The only way to get around that is to create a table that specifically rolls however many times for those entries to build a single parcel.

You can do something like this.

https://i.imgur.com/dze6ZIz.gif

To open multiple windows of the same record type (in this case parcels) hold control key. Open up your bulk parcel, then the first time you generate a parcel from your table entries press-control when you click the roll option and you can then drag/drop one into the other.

Faolan the Azure Abjurer
December 2nd, 2020, 16:56
Okay. That idea is helpful for gathering the results together. Unfortunately, it still causes each separate roll to be made into it's own parcel entry with the same name that I have to delete later, and that gets tedious when you're rolling individual loot for, like, 10 kobolds. It'd be so much better if table-rolled parcels of the same name would overwrite each other.

I think what I'll have to do is prepare some randomly-generated parcels ahead of time for random encounters of various sizes and just use those, instead of generating them on the spot.

Zacchaeus
December 2nd, 2020, 17:47
Instead of rolling for each Koblod just make one roll for them all. Create a master table with say a 50% chance that the kobold has any treasure and then call a sub table the other 50% of the time.

Faolan the Azure Abjurer
December 2nd, 2020, 21:40
Not exactly a viable solution, since the number of monsters is also variable, and Individual Treasure indicates that each separate monster has its own treasure, as opposed to a collective group.

So using the kobold example, kobolds have Individual J and O treasure 100% of the time. Type J is 3d8 cp, Type O is 10d4 cp and 10d3 sp

So for a single kobold, the table would roll 3d8+10d4 cp + 10d3 sp. For a group of kobolds that is variable in number (the table I have rolls 2d4 kobolds), it would have to multiply the number of dice by the variable number. Something probably beyond FG's current capabilities, I'm guessing. I might just have to use another piece of software to generate such treasure for AD&D.

damned
December 2nd, 2020, 21:47
let it autogenerate 2d4 parcels.
drag them into the party sheet.
its done.

galfaroth2000
December 9th, 2020, 13:07
Not 100% sure, but I think what you need, is roll each treasure and give that parcel as inventory to each creature, so each creature will carry its own treasure and can be collected later.
Since you are doing that in advance, your players won't be "stuck" waiting while treasure is rolled during the game session.

Faolan the Azure Abjurer
December 9th, 2020, 13:33
Okay, so what I ended up doing was going for the procedure of pre-generating "random" encounters AND the parcels to go with them. (Which is probably the best solution for random encounters regardless of system in terms of not bogging down the game).

On the calendar, I made the six daily random encounter checks as described in the DMG for at least a tenday (Forgotten Realms week), and if the location of the PCs matches the numbers needed on a d10 to indicate a random encounter (i.e. 4 or less for a swamp), I just pull out an encounter from my bag of tricks. I figure, the monsters don't have to suit the environment entirely, but as long as it's plausible, the PCs won't bat an eye.

galfaroth2000
December 10th, 2020, 01:26
You can prepare your own tables for parcels of each encounter, adding the proper treasure tables needed.
You can force which "encounter" award, using custom dice to roll (1d0 + x), where "x" are the tables you want to roll.

https://i.postimg.cc/HLqC4sWB/Parcels.gif