PDA

View Full Version : FGU on Google Chrome Book?

JDesser
December 2nd, 2020, 02:12
Hello All,
One of my players has paid for his FGU subscription but is unable to load the application on his Google Chrome Book. Does anyone have any guidance on how to get it to work? Aside from buying a new laptop...

Moon Wizard
December 2nd, 2020, 02:25
FGU does not work on Chrome OS. It is only available for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

Regards,
JPG

damned
December 2nd, 2020, 06:00
There is another post today - if you have a powerful enough chromebook you can install the Linux version.

DocBeer
December 2nd, 2020, 17:59
It is definitely possible to use a Chromebook to run FGU if you install it using Linux Steam, as mentioned above.
I have done it flawlessly on my Chromebook and it runs smoothly and without problems.

SeaSandz
November 21st, 2021, 10:08
Is this still the method needed to run FGU on Chromebook or is ther an easier way?

damned
November 21st, 2021, 11:49
Is this still the method needed to run FGU on Chromebook or is ther an easier way?

Which? Did you try the linux build?

SeaSandz
November 21st, 2021, 16:42
I am sorry I should've given more information.

I am looking to buy a chromebook so i was wondering 2 things:

1. What are current recommended system requirements for Chromebook?
2. What is easiest method to get Fantasy Grounds Unity up and running?

Thanks for your help.

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2021, 16:55
As noted above FGU doesn't run natively on a Chromebook. It will run on Windows, Linux and Mac OS's. So in order to run it on a Chromebook you'll need a machine that can run Linux. Quite what you'd need in terms of system requirements I'm not sure; but I think you'd be looking at the top end. And there are no guarantees that it'll work.

Sulimo
November 21st, 2021, 20:21
Make sure if you get a chromebook you get one with an x86-64 CPU (Intel or AMD), not an ARM CPU, FGU won't run on the ARM architecture. Then install Linux on that.

Death Goblin
December 10th, 2023, 22:54
It is definitely possible to use a Chromebook to run FGU if you install it using Linux Steam, as mentioned above.
I have done it flawlessly on my Chromebook and it runs smoothly and without problems.

I have FGU with the life time license for windows, purchased from the Fantasy Grounds website. Provided that I have already installed Linux on my Chromebook, are you saying I need the linux steam license through steam? In other words, are you saying I need to purchase the Linux license through steam to install FGU on my Chromebook?

Jiminimonka
December 11th, 2023, 00:53
I have FGU with the life time license for windows, purchased from the Fantasy Grounds website. Provided that I have already installed Linux on my Chromebook, are you saying I need the linux steam license through steam? In other words, are you saying I need to purchase the Linux license through steam to install FGU on my Chromebook?

FGU has a Linux client - but not a Chrome book client - so if you have wiped Chromebook software off the laptop and installed Linux, you are good to go.

Griogre
December 11th, 2023, 04:16
You could run it but your Chromebook has to be able to run FGU, ie enough RAM and processing power. I have run it on my Chromebook - BUT I couldn't get into the Beta Steam Linux bottle to get to the app folder for FGU. You need to run the developer version of Chrome OS then the Google beta version of Steam if you don't want to make it all Linux. You might want to check on the current status of the Steam google beta for the Crome OS.

I had a Chromebook with an Intel i3-1235U with 8 gigs of ram and a 128 gb eMMC and the game I was running crashed after a 3-4 hours. I suspect it ran out of Ram.

Edit: realized I wasn't that clear. There is a Chrome 0S Steam beta that allows you to run Steam on the Chrome OS. Google is behind this beta.

Nylanfs
December 11th, 2023, 12:27
In other words, are you saying I need to purchase the Linux license through steam to install FGU on my Chromebook?

I wanted to address this point since it appears overlooked. You can activate your FGU license in your Steam library (assuming it was purchased before Doug sent the last batch of license keys). (https://steamcommunity.com/app/1196310/discussions/0/2945872608892325681/) Then you can just install and run like a normal Steam game on your chromebook, assuming that it can handle it.