PDA

View Full Version : Severe slowness in opening Character sheets & tabs

Valyar
December 1st, 2020, 20:01
After the last update, every charsheet from Cthulthu through SWADE to Vampire and others open with visible lag of ~ 1 sec and tabs are opening with the same delay. Compared to the snappy and instant Classic this is very bad. All players noticed that, so please consider this report submitted from 6 people.

Jiminimonka
December 2nd, 2020, 09:31
I noticed some delays on character sheets yesterday too.

5e and CoC 7e.

Gwydion
December 2nd, 2020, 14:25
Funny. I thought it might be me but notice the same thing in PF2.

Valyar
December 2nd, 2020, 14:43
All rulesets are impacted from what I can test. I thought it is just because there is a lot of notes and tests in the current active campaigns, but then when creating new one it is the same.
Something is definitely not OK in the previous build and in games that involve more tab-switching it is not fun. :)

DM_BK
December 2nd, 2020, 15:22
For me I noticed it's now apx. a 1 second pause before the character sheet appears and it wasn't doing that about a week ago. 1 second is noticeable but not a bother....but I imagine if you step back the hardware level 1 second can easily become 2 (or more).

Gwydion
December 2nd, 2020, 15:24
For me I noticed it's now apx. a 1 second pause before the character sheet appears and it wasn't doing that about a week ago. 1 second is noticeable but not a bother....but I imagine if you step back the hardware level 1 second can easily become 2 (or more).

I think my delay is similar. Certainly not earth shattering but noticeable.

Valyar
December 2nd, 2020, 15:25
Yes, with GPU acceleration disabled (i.e. the integrated Intel) it is even more noticeable. In general we experience ~1sec pause, 2 on the potato machines. FGC was instant and much more snappy in all aspects.

eriktedesco
December 2nd, 2020, 20:21
Noticed the same thing...tab loading of character sheet is slowed down.

Last FGU update 5e

Zacchaeus
December 2nd, 2020, 21:05
I'm not seeing this. I've tested various characters in 5e (only) and I can't click my stopwatch fast enough to time anything with any accuracy but opening up a level 15 spellcaster character is happening in less than half a second. I can't even press the start/stop fast enough to time tabs - so I'm saying even less time to open those - probably in the region of a tenth of a second or so. And I haven't noticed whether that's faster or slower than it was before.

Jiminimonka
December 2nd, 2020, 21:13
I tested again this evening (when I got back from work) and it's fine now.

DM_BK
December 3rd, 2020, 00:31
Seems to be a lot better today. Almost non-existent and the delay completely disappears on subsequent openings of the same sheet.`

Valyar
December 3rd, 2020, 07:21
I don't think it depends on the time of day, the lag is consistent on my machine and I tried to see if some settings in the NVIDIA control panel have effect on the new build (because it is issue with the new build) or not. Seems no matter what tweaks are done, including using the integrated graphics has no effect. On some visual heavy rulesets such as Vampire it is even slower.

I hope someone is looking into that and will be fixed.

Valyar
December 4th, 2020, 09:38
After some more focused testing, it seems the lag is on the initial load of the character sheet and each tab. If they are opened at least once, things look back to normal UNTIL you close the sheet. Then again same stuff.

Jiminimonka
December 4th, 2020, 15:19
Is this with a clean install or one running extensions etc. because after my initial feedback, for me the problem has gone away.

Valyar
December 4th, 2020, 17:09
Is this with a clean install or one running extensions etc. because after my initial feedback, for me the problem has gone away.
Yes, I don't run extensions when I report bugs. It happens on all rulesets. It was not there two updates back since I am using Unity months before release.
I hope some dev will comment soon, this is quite annoying as using sheets is core functionality.

Imagix
December 4th, 2020, 17:17
Say, I don't think this has been asked yet: GM machine or player? How many (if any) players are connected to the session?

Valyar
December 4th, 2020, 19:08
Say, I don't think this has been asked yet: GM machine or player? How many (if any) players are connected to the session?
GM or Player, does not matter if 1 or none connected. Fresh or existing campaign, this was introduced after one of the Unity updates.
All run different computers and I have workstation-class machine that can run much more than Unity. And this sheet lags, come on ;)

Kelrugem
December 4th, 2020, 19:39
I personally can reproduce it, the initial loading times for the tabs in character sheets have increased (but only the initial loading). It was always slower than FGC in that regard, but now it is indeed somewhat longer (e.g. test the skills tab of 3.5e, it needs around 2 seconds to load the first time)

But since it is just the initial loading, I am not so much bothered at the moment :) (NPCs load slower than in FGC but still rather quick)

Valyar
December 19th, 2020, 23:24
Bump, this is still and issue and it is more noticeable when there are more “rich on content” character sheets.

eporrini
December 20th, 2020, 01:18
I have a wizard (L14) in a game with a very large spell sheet and opening the action tab is very slow as well as scrolling it after it’s opened. It was not like this in FGC I can confirm.

Moon Wizard
December 20th, 2020, 07:02
Yes, FGU is slower with large numbers of windows than FGC. It may be like that for some time, since there is no smoking gun we've found so far. Plus, we're working on vision/lighting and the forge as well.

If possible, you should remove spells which you do not have memorized to free up usage on the character sheet for now.

Regards,
JPG

Valyar
December 21st, 2020, 19:54
Yes, FGU is slower with large numbers of windows than FGC. It may be like that for some time, since there is no smoking gun we've found so far. Plus, we're working on vision/lighting and the forge as well.
Regards,
JPG
I fully support and agree with this priority - dynamic lights and token vision are important feature that every other VTT has and once they are in Unity - the platform will be even more spectacular. :)
Still, I hope that this slowness is on your list, as from user perspective (my players) having superior product that is several time slower than the old one, especially on machines that run today Cyberpunk on 4k is... absolutely frustrating. I don't want to go into discussion to move to Foundry, due to its snappiness and framework with now official content. :/

Moon Wizard
December 21st, 2020, 21:45
Oh, it's definitely on the list; and as I come up with thoughts/ideas, I look at whether those thoughts/ideas have any impact. One of the challenges is that some of these ideas have caused bugs in other behaviors (i.e. trying to reduce overhead actually clips expected behaviors). So, definitely still looking.

Not sure "official" is what I would call Foundry content, since it all comes from external as far as I know... (but I'm definitely not very familiar with their system).

Regards,
JPG

Jiminimonka
December 21st, 2020, 22:45
Meh Foundry. Why even bring it up.