PDA

View Full Version : How does one add additional coin tabs?

Ragnar Tryggvy
December 1st, 2020, 17:37
I am using FGU and 5E ruleset. I have custom currency that involves more than 6 coin types. I realize this amount of detail is not for everyone but it is appreciated by folks I game with. How do I add additional coin tabs? I know if you add the coin from a parcel it adds ones that aren't defined in the basic 6 to an additional line, but it doesn't treat those entries as coins, they can't be spent and don't show up in the party sheet inventory area. Also, when you add additional amounts of a coin listed there, it makes a new entry to the list instead of adding them together, I am assuming this is because it doesn't recognize that entry as anything but text so can't add to it or treat it as coinage.

Any help on how to add more coin tabs or slots would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance for the help here. Thank you all for all the great content and advice I have gathered from here as well.

LordEntrails
December 1st, 2020, 17:40
You would have to make an extension that will update the character sheets, party sheet, and parcels. Not sure if coins touch anywhere else.

I'm not sure if their are any existing extensions that do this already, at least not that I can think of. Perhaps a Site Search might reveal something that you could build from.

Ragnar Tryggvy
December 1st, 2020, 18:09
Thank you for the quick response LordEntrails. I have searched here for things and found nothing that did that. I may need to make an extension to do it, if so may just make a coinage tab for the character sheet to allow all the calculations and conversions. We will see if I can figure it out. Thanks again, you are a great help here on the forums.

LordEntrails
December 1st, 2020, 19:07
Thank you for the quick response LordEntrails. I have searched here for things and found nothing that did that. I may need to make an extension to do it, if so may just make a coinage tab for the character sheet to allow all the calculations and conversions. We will see if I can figure it out. Thanks again, you are a great help here on the forums.

There are some extensions that change coin behavior, but none that I know of that add slots. A new tab might be the easiest. But I think you will still need to change the party sheet and the parcels, but would be happy to be wrong.

Maybe the Weight of Coins extension would get you close to the area that needs to be updated.

Ragnar Tryggvy
December 1st, 2020, 19:09
I will look into it, in the meantime I will just use 6 at most till I figure a way to accomplish this.

Thanks again for your advice. Folks like you are what makes community so great.

damned
December 1st, 2020, 22:26
I would definitely start with the Weight of Coins extension to get you close to the XML.
There is also some Lua that handles what to do when the existing number of slots are used up so that would also need to be addressed in your extension.

Ragnar Tryggvy
December 2nd, 2020, 15:56
Thank you damned. You guys are always a great help...even though I have only been lurking for the last couple of years.

estrolof
February 10th, 2021, 01:01
Hey Ragnar, I am keen to see what you do!

You're right, it's not for everyone (economics in D&D), but I am a huge fan. Whether that's Electrum, Toal & Harbor Moons pushing over the 6 coin types, or expanded economics. Having grown up across the Canadian border, and then living near the Mexican border, I got used to seeing coins and even bills from all 3 countries. Sometimes a merchant didn't care, more often they did. So it made sense to add this to D&D (to me).

I'm running a game set in Cormyr, and they require folks to exchange non-Cormyrean coin on entry. As my PCs play on the border, they are often finding coins from other cities and nation-states. I've been adding parentheticals in the parcels [e.g., GP (SEMBIA) vs GP (ZHENTIL KEEP)]. Then, when they return to base, they convert the coin. Some coins are worth more than others (due to questionable authenticity or instability, e.g., Daggerdale would be worth less than Sembia).

We don't use the coin encumbrance variant or extension (I've thought about it, but might end up with a mutiny, lol). I've toyed with alt solutions (as I have near 0 aptitude for LUA and XML). Then I toyed with creating an inventory item (weight 0) for each coin type, but the SHOP extension doesn't support PCs Selling to the Shop, and there isn't a way to make collapsible containers in the PC inventory (would be SOOO cool). So those text strings end up being easier on the PC and me. But new fields that are associated with a custom currency (which has a gold% value) would be pretty cool imo.

Ragnar Tryggvy
March 28th, 2021, 09:46
estrolof, I have not given up on this. This is something I greatly want as I will be having, as you mentioned in your Forgotten Realms setting game, various coins for various kingdoms, not to mention trade bars backed by trading/merchant costers and other types of currency. Not everyone likes that level of detail but I do and like having it there even if many players just ignore it. Some want to know what coins are in a pouch, others just want the overall value.

That said, this is no small task and has had to take a back seat to more important core homebrew modifications to get the basics functional. I will try to message you when I do finally get something going. Thank you for the interest.

damned
March 28th, 2021, 12:30
here is a basic extension to give you 12 coin slots.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67416-Money-For-Nothing

estrolof
March 29th, 2021, 01:00
Obviously, no pressure or rush. But, I'm glad to hear it, RT. Also, I'll check that out, damned.

Ragnar Tryggvy
March 29th, 2021, 22:07
That is AWESOME and just what I was looking for, thank you...especially if you just whipped that together for me.

damned
March 29th, 2021, 22:23
That said, this is no small task and has had to take a back seat to more important core homebrew modifications to get the basics functional. I will try to message you when I do finally get something going. Thank you for the interest.

That is AWESOME and just what I was looking for, thank you...especially if you just whipped that together for me.

I did. I thought you might be over thinking it so I made one to show you how it is done.
This is close to the simplest version. Simpler would have been to leave it at 3 columns and just add some new rows and not re-order the numbering so that it went correctly down the page before across the page.
And more complex would be to remove some unnecessary xml from the fields that I was just moving.

Ragnar Tryggvy
March 29th, 2021, 22:27
You are awesome! Mind if I mess with it a little and customize it for my own, personal use? I won't publish it or anything, it is all your work. Just a very good learning tool for me. I just want to add a few more...at least only a few more for now and extend the name line a bit. I have already figured out how to do it. I just don't want to modify your coding, even for my own use, without your permission.

damned
March 29th, 2021, 22:29
you can do what you like with it including republishing it. its mostly CoreRPG code Ive just extended it.

Ragnar Tryggvy
March 29th, 2021, 22:34
Thank you so very much. You are part of what makes Fantasy Grounds so great, a community of positive, supportive folks willing to help others enjoy the product.

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 3rd, 2021, 12:21
Damned, I am finding one issue I can't get past. I have expanded it to 4 columns of 5 and reordered the numbering and locked the quantity cells so players can't alter them but for some reason when coins are added, it only recognizes the first 6 cells, not the rest. Any ideas?

damned
April 3rd, 2021, 15:25
I just uploaded a new version.
In file manager_ps_loot.lua see lines 430 and 441.

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 3rd, 2021, 15:29
Thank you most kindly. Your guidance is of great help.

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 3rd, 2021, 16:16
I have tried the extension as you have written. It still won't recognize anything past the 6th coin slot. Any idea? I tried it with the only extension added being the one you wrote. So there can't be any extension conflicts. Anything added from beyond the 6th slot gets added to the other line.

damned
April 4th, 2021, 00:45
I have tried the extension as you have written. It still won't recognize anything past the 6th coin slot. Any idea? I tried it with the only extension added being the one you wrote. So there can't be any extension conflicts. Anything added from beyond the 6th slot gets added to the other line.

Ive uploaded a version which is a bit tighter codewise.

In chat it should say

Money for Nothing Version 0.3 20210404
This fan made extension created by DIE Hard Gaming. (LINK)

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 4th, 2021, 22:17
Thank you again. You are awesome. I will test it and see if I can get anything past 6 slots to work. Happy Easter as well.

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 10th, 2021, 14:24
Damned, well, tried your newest version. With just that mod loaded, it shows the 12 slots but won't add to any slot past the first 6 still for some reason. Thanks again for all your help. I can change the number field manually but adding from the party sheet won't work.

damned
April 10th, 2021, 14:42
Ok I have found that it works fine when you add the parcel containing 6the new coins to the Party Sheet and distribute from there.
If you drop the parcel directly on a Character Sheet it is still limited to 6.
Ill need to track down that code and update it.
For the moment it does only work from the Party Sheet.
I wont be updating it this week...

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 10th, 2021, 14:59
When I try adding from the party sheet to the character sheet, it still only adds the first 6 coin types. Anything past that gets added to the other line. I am still testing with only MoneyforNothing being the only extension added. It will read the coins from the character sheet and update it in the Party Coins but when distributing from the Parcel Coins it only uses the first 6 slots. Again, thank you for the help and no hurry, I know we are all busy folks and this is far from a priority for you, I am just glad you are helping me at all. Thank you so very much.

damned
April 10th, 2021, 15:09
ok, ok. Ive updated.
Now adds correctly for parcels dropped on Charsheet as well as Party Sheet.

damned
April 10th, 2021, 15:12
It should show version 0.4 in chat.

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 10th, 2021, 15:58
Works like a dream. I bow to your awesome skill and knowledge. I can not thank you enough. If I can EVER help you, do not hesitate to ask.

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 10th, 2021, 16:55
estrolof and damned, here is my final, at least currently final, version. It expands the coin slots to 20 and extends the text name fields to allow longer currency names to be viewed easily as well as rearranges the entries on the Inventory Tab of the Character Sheet to put Treasure then Encumbrance and finally Equipment as my players view the long and ever changing Equipment list as less important to see than the Treasure entry for frequency reasons. It also aligns the currency fields with the left side of the character sheet instead of centering it on the sheet. The Encumbrance is just a good thing to see easily if the campaign pays attention to that. The extension also locks the coin quantity fields from player alteration. The GM can still change them. I have made parcels they can use to convert currency for making change if needed. I intend to have money changers for bulk coin conversions that will charge 3-5%.

I want it to be known beyond a shadow of a doubt that 98% of this code was all damned's work and I am only repackaging it and adjusting it with his full consent.

estrolof
April 10th, 2021, 20:24
I'll give this a test run this week! I am impressed by how fast you two solved this!

estrolof
April 10th, 2021, 22:14
Hi Ragnar & damned. First: awesome work.

Might be me, but I did a preliminary test (5E, no additional extensions, one character, only loaded PHB and DMG). I'll test this with additional add-ons to see if it has any conflicts next.

1) I see the 15 pre-made Treasure: Coin Type slots
2) I added "NEW COIN TYPE ##" to the Party Sheet: Parcel Coins and named the slots on the PC's sheet
3) I added a 16th coin type to the Party Sheet: Parcel Coins (assuming it would be pushed to the string text, as it does in the default FGU method)
4) The coins are all pushed/distributed successfully to the PC...however...as you'll see in the image, the 16th coin type is distributed, but doesn't appear on the PC's sheet - neither as a new box, nor added string in the Treasure: _____ space

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 10th, 2021, 23:53
Bah, he solved it. I just tweaked it. Working on packaging a module of my currency system for you so you can see what I did to give you some ideas.

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 10th, 2021, 23:55
Estrolof, you need to expand your character sheet. The fourth column is off to the right and you can't see it. There are 4 columns of 5 coin slots that align with the right side of the character sheet.

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 10th, 2021, 23:58
Estrolof, you need to expand your character sheet. The fourth column is off to the right and you can't see it. There are 4 columns of 5 coin slots that align with the right side of the character sheet. The text fields were doubled in size to allow longer coin names. Let me know if that works for you.

estrolof
April 11th, 2021, 00:10
See, something I was doing! Haha

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 11th, 2021, 00:13
Estrolof, you are welcome to jump in my discord any time you want to ask questions or hang out. Would be faster than talking on here.

https://discord.gg/kKSmRDqv

Of course, you don't have to either, just giving you the option.

damned
April 11th, 2021, 03:58
Hi Ragnar & damned. First: awesome work.

Might be me, but I did a preliminary test (5E, no additional extensions, one character, only loaded PHB and DMG). I'll test this with additional add-ons to see if it has any conflicts next.

1) I see the 15 pre-made Treasure: Coin Type slots
2) I added "NEW COIN TYPE ##" to the Party Sheet: Parcel Coins and named the slots on the PC's sheet
3) I added a 16th coin type to the Party Sheet: Parcel Coins (assuming it would be pushed to the string text, as it does in the default FGU method)
4) The coins are all pushed/distributed successfully to the PC...however...as you'll see in the image, the 16th coin type is distributed, but doesn't appear on the PC's sheet - neither as a new box, nor added string in the Treasure: _____ space

I tested my build and it works with extras appending as text still.
I havent looked at Ragnar's copy sorry.

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 11th, 2021, 04:39
Damned, it worked, he just had to expand his character sheet as he couldn't see the right most column of entries.

estrolof
April 12th, 2021, 02:23
Thank you very much for the invitation. I did a little more testing and posted in discord instead. (As extra lines are added to the strong Treasure section, the Encumbrance section is pushed lower - as expected - however, it doesn't also push the Equipment section - I included images on discord).

Ragnar Tryggvy
April 12th, 2021, 18:26
Yeah, for some reason the coding I have tried when locking the Equipment line to the Encumbrance line forces the subtext under Equipment up the page. The only way I have found to have it stay linked properly to the Equipment title bar is to fix the title bar to a fixed spot. This is why adding extra lines forces the text down into that area. I will keep trying to figure out how to lock the Equipment title bar to reference the Encumbrance title bar and move with it. When I figure it out, I will update and let you know.