PDA

View Full Version : Some questions before I buy.

neonbasschild
May 24th, 2007, 08:53
Hello I am considering buying Fantasy Grounds. I looked at several other VTT programs and Fantasy grounds is the only one that I found that I actually liked. What I am wondering is how easy is it to run other game systems besides D20? I run alot of obscure systems (such as Timelord, Twilight 2000),some not so obscure (cyberpunk), and some of my own design (mostly mods of cyberpunk rules to fit my own needs). But majority of my games are all modern or sci-fi based, not fantasy. Am I going to have a huge problem setting up the game for this (making character sheets and the like)?

Also how large is the community for this program and is there any interest in sci-fi and modern day games or is it mostly D&D?

I dont want to pay for a system and then find out that I can never find players or it takes me forever to setup for a game.

Kalan
May 24th, 2007, 09:04
Well - right out of the box, the program is setup with primarily d20 based systems in mind....BUT...its fairly easy (if you have some patience) to modify the program to suit your needs (and in my opinion, its a little easier than the previous incarnation...tho at the same time more complex. Confusing - but that's about the only way I can describe it ;) )

The community for FG is fairly large, and there's bound to be someone who has already done the work for you in getting the character sheets done (which, is really all you need). Or there's at least someone who can help you whip up what you need in fairly short order.

neonbasschild
May 24th, 2007, 09:07
Well I am pritty handy with computers (I did websites before I joined the army) so if its possible to make character sheets or better yet find them I should be happy.

Kalan
May 24th, 2007, 09:12
Well - unlike FGI - char sheets in FGII are built "dynamically" - ie: not based on a fixed graphic. This allows for a lot easier customization - however to get the full power behind things, you'll also need to learn Lua (which is the scripting language behind all the new toys in FGII).

There is a huge community, most of whom are far wiser and better at things than I - and they're some of the friendliest, most professional bunch I've had the pleasure to be acquainted with :) If you run into hitches, there'll be someone around who can help you out :)

neonbasschild
May 24th, 2007, 12:43
Grrrr this is not going to be fun. Hopefully someone will come out with one of there tools soon. So I can easly make character sheets. Thats all I really need. The rest is in the game.

ldyparadox99
May 24th, 2007, 17:04
FG ruleset editor (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6246)

A lot of us are waiting very, very, very patiently. ;-) But from what Dr. Deth has told us so far, it's going to make it easier to create non-d20 rulesets.