PDA

View Full Version : SFS #1-98: Into the Perplexity: The First Trial SAT December 5th @ 6.30 PM UTC

stephan_
November 29th, 2020, 20:41
Exclusive tier 3-6.

Some things to keep in mind:

Players can only use pregenerated characters if they are playing this adventure for no credit.

Players and GMs can only ever receive credit for this adventure once [some exceptions if you already played this scenario during a con]. Due to the unique nature of this scenario, a player can never replay this scenario under any circumstances. A player who chooses to play this adventure for no credit can’t later receive credit for it.

This scenario does not include options for scaling. GMs running this event for fewer than six players or for groups whose APL is near the bottom of their level range should inform their players of the lack of scaling and that the adventure poses an additional risk for their characters.

GMs should run this adventure in a venue that allows ample time to fully explore it (at least 4 hours).

Into the Perplexity scenarios are more challenging than standard Starfinder Society adventures. In many ways, these scenarios are intended to be unfair to the players in context of both presented choices and mechanical challenges. Additionally, Starfinder Scenario #1-98: Into the Perplexity: The First Trial has strong themes of contagion and quarantine.

To preserve the novelty of the experience for those who have not yet played, please refrain from discussing the contents of this scenario with anyone who has not played or GMed it before.

Please schedule around 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours for the game to be on the safe side.

Due to the specific nature of this one, I'd only run it if we have close to a full party.

In the interest of starting on time and not running over time please log in a bit earlier and have your character ready!

We'll likely use Classic and Discord.

Make sure to both apply here as well as in the game calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=5677), stating which character you'd like to play.

If you do not have a FG account, let me know if you want to sign up by other means - but bear in mind there could be some delay.

About the scenario:

A Starfinder Society Scenario designed for levels 3-6.

Of the many buildings that make up sprawling campus of the Lorespire Complex, the Starfinder Society's central base of operations, none is more mysterious than the squat metal bunker that agents call the Perplexity. Its heavy starmetal doors cannot be bypassed by physical or magical means, but once each year, they swing open of their own accord, remaining open for a single day. The Perplexity's creator, a former First Seeker, claimed it was built to serve as a proving ground for the next generation of Starfinder agents, but the perilous enigma never served this purpose. Of the groups who have braved its depths since, the few who have survived to tell the tale have kept the knowledge of what they saw closely guarded, telling only the First Seeker of what they experienced. Are you brave enough to uncover the secrets of the Perplexity?

This special adventure can be run only by Starfinder Society GMs who have earned at least 4 Novas, and it cannot be replayed. In this scenario, the PCs' actions have consequences to their characters that run deeper than what is typically possible in Starfinder Society play. Players may choose to play this scenario for no credit to experience the story without these lasting consequences. To preserve the novelty of the experience for those who have not yet played, please refrain from discussing the contents of this scenario with anyone who has not played or GMed it before.

Written by: Thurston Hillman

Scenario tags: Exclusive

Technical details:

We will use Fantasy Grounds Classic (I have an Ultimate license) and either Discord or Teamspeak (TBD).

Steps before the game:

If you apply, make sure you send me your previous chronicle sheet of the character you want to apply this chronicle to (if you already have any chronicle sheet) either here or on Discord (Fantasy Grounds channel). If it is your first SFS game, I'll at least need your Paizo Organized Play # and your faction.

If you haven't already, also make sure to either build the character on FG yourself (and send it to me) or log in early enough so you can do so on game day.

Make sure you have updated Fantasy Grounds.

FG alias and Teamspeak server can be found under GM announcements in the game calendar.

Other notes:

Also make sure to track your purchases on the Inventory Tracking Sheet.

Be sure to apply on time (if you can make it) as the last games were rather full.

In your own interest, make sure the party is somewhat balanced level-wise.

Some boilerplate clarifications:

Please apply on the FG forums on both the game calendar as well as in the game thread (if multiple household members are playing, one person per household is sufficient). First, it's easier to tell how many spots are already filled that way. Second, the other players (as well as the GM) know what level and class to expect from your character (if you don't know yet, simply state TBD). Third, you'll get notified about any updates if you post in the game thread (at least about the first one). Fourth, it allows the GM to determine who applied first should it become relevant. Some exceptions might apply.

Also, please be sure to check the thread for new messages occasionally. You don't have to check each and every day or every few hours but please make sure to reply to any posts that do concern you in time. Should you remain unresponsive, I'll give the spot to a player that applied after you (as I won't know whether you are still interested in participating or not). Exceptions might apply, e.g. if you state beforehand that you won't be able to respond due to traveling.

If you apply but don't show up or drop out during the game without notice, in future games I might also give preference to other players who have a better track record of showing up. I am aware though that life and technical problems can always happen, so don't worry if you have a valid reason though.

These rules are not in place to prevent players from playing but in fact to enable players willing to play to actually do so. It's frustrating if I have to turn down players if it turns out they would in fact have been able to play.

SchroedingersCat
November 29th, 2020, 20:49
8R1CK will be part of it!

stephan_
November 29th, 2020, 20:56
Seems like 3 spots are filled, 3 still open.

duhwoo
November 29th, 2020, 22:14
<Angawilwarin (https://valhallas.com/AngawilwarinSFS.pdf)> is in!

stephan_
November 29th, 2020, 22:15
With that looks like one spot still open.

stephan_
November 29th, 2020, 23:16
With that it seems like all spots are now filled.

rbeard101
November 30th, 2020, 04:46
With that it seems like all spots are now filled.

Looks like Upper tier.. I hope that upper level Mechanic, Soldier and Mystic can tank! :-) Other than that with 2 additional soldiers at 4th level an a level 4 Technomancer, looks like a fairly well balance party!

jjungers
December 1st, 2020, 15:26
Hi - I managed o snag the final seat but now find that I need to withdraw - a family conflict has arisen that I can't extricate myself from.
How do I go about stepping back to open that seat up to some other lucky participant?

stephan_
December 1st, 2020, 15:44
Sure, no problem. Just posting here is enough.

Anyone else: If you know anyone interested in the last spot, let me know.

Malkavian_Andi
December 1st, 2020, 22:37
I'll jump in and take that seat. Will bring my Aasimar Solarian, who just hit 6th level.

stephan_
December 1st, 2020, 22:43
Looks like we are back up to a full party then.

Bear in mind you currently have an APL of roughly 4.83.

stephan_
December 5th, 2020, 17:47
The server (FG Classic) is up for the game in roughly 45 minutes.

Does anyone have a preference on Discord or Teamspeak?

DDySean
December 6th, 2020, 00:25
I hope the game went well! I got to play this one with Thirsty at paizocon 2018, the only time I was able to attend. Good scenario! I would talk more about it but I was sworn to secrecy.

stephan_
December 6th, 2020, 00:53
I had fun but my perspective may be different from the players. :)

It is definitely memorable.

Malkavian_Andi
December 6th, 2020, 11:45
I think it's a really nice scenario. The combats are challenging, but actually not too hard. And it involves some interesting parts that go beyond just "checking off another victory".
I suppose I couldn't really comment more without spoiling any plot to people who haven't played it yet.