PDA

View Full Version : DMGO effect not counting the rounds right (I think)

elef
November 29th, 2020, 19:43
Hi all, sorry if this is not the proper place to post this. Maybe a moderator can move it to where it's supposed to be.
I have a question regarding the DMGO effect. I'll use an example of my problem. I have a character casting acid arrow at initiative 15 of round 1. I apply the 2d4 damage from the spell and then I apply the effect "DMGO: 2d4 acid" to the target with a duration of 2 rounds which is the additional ticks of the spell. That means that the target at rounds 2 and 3 should get the additional 2d4 damage on it's turn. The problem I have is that when my target is at an initiative lower than mine, let's say 10, he takes the first additional tick that he should get on round 2 on his turn on round 1. Is that how it should work or am I doing something wrong?

Kelrugem
November 30th, 2020, 00:03
Hi all, sorry if this is not the proper place to post this. Maybe a moderator can move it to where it's supposed to be.
I have a question regarding the DMGO effect. I'll use an example of my problem. I have a character casting acid arrow at initiative 15 of round 1. I apply the 2d4 damage from the spell and then I apply the effect "DMGO: 2d4 acid" to the target with a duration of 2 rounds which is the additional ticks of the spell. That means that the target at rounds 2 and 3 should get the additional 2d4 damage on it's turn. The problem I have is that when my target is at an initiative lower than mine, let's say 10, he takes the first additional tick that he should get on round 2 on his turn on round 1. Is that how it should work or am I doing something wrong?

Yes, I think this is how it works. So, such things are normally done at the target's round, not at whatever initiative the caster is :) When you are worried about that the total number of ticks is different, then no worries, it should be always the same; since when the target has lower initiative, then the effect will expire in round 3 before the target acts (because the duration is lowered at the turn/initiative of the caster) :)

Don't be confused by rounds, they just describe the number of how often someone was actor :) The spell basically just affects the target twice at the beginning of their turn :) After it ticked twice it basically expires (when it was the caster's turn)