PDA

View Full Version : cannot connect to my groups games anymore

blaz3r77
November 29th, 2020, 02:31
My fantasy grounds continues to start slowly downlaoding files when I try to connect to my groups games, it either stops halfway or doesn’t even get to that point of downloading files. This wasn’t a problem for a little bit but something changed and the above started happening about 4 weeks ago.

I should say I’m running fantasy grounds classic demo from steam to connect to a fantasy grounds classic ultimate edition run game on a port forwarded server, on windows 10 and my user name is blaz3r77.

So far we have tried turning off the firewall to sign in, turning off the real time windows defender virus feature, and reinstalling the game multiple times.

damned
November 29th, 2020, 07:57
What ISP is your GM on?
If they are on Cox, Comcast, Shaw or Xfinity they may be unwittingly blocking you.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53461-Comcast-XFinity-Cox-and-Shaw-Communications-Users-Important

Do you have another computer you can test from?
Do you have another network location you can test from?

Can you connect to any other GM successfully?

Granamere
November 29th, 2020, 14:44
blaz3r77 Welcome!

I agree with damned it could easily be a problem with the DM's ISP. I would start with everything he is saying.

You should not need to do anything with port forwarding unless you are the DM hosting the session so I would remove that out of your firewall.

When you have reinstalled have you made sure the directory is completely gone and no old files ? Also can you have your DM make a new campaign and see if you can connect into it or he could copy the existing campaign but rename it.

Zahn_Corso
November 29th, 2020, 22:09
Hey I'm one of the dms for Blaz3r77 and as far as me and my roommate can see we have nothing blocking the port to allow him in. We are using Spectrum and I've checked the router while my roommate has check the account, we don't have anything filtering or blocking the port. As well as other players are able to connect no problem. I'll try copying the existing campaign and renaming it and see if that works, but other than that is there anything else that we might do?

Edit: For the record there are at least 4 campaigns he is part of between myself and my roommate, and he can't connect to any of them. Everyone else is able to connect fine.

Zahn_Corso
December 2nd, 2020, 03:41
So after trying all these solutions we have still not been able to get Blaz3r77 to connect to either my campaigns or my roommates. We have even turned the firewall's off on both ends to see if that might help. Nothing has changed, what can we do to fix this?

damned
December 2nd, 2020, 06:05
So after trying all these solutions we have still not been able to get Blaz3r77 to connect to either my campaigns or my roommates. We have even turned the firewall's off on both ends to see if that might help. Nothing has changed, what can we do to fix this?

Do you have another computer you can test from?
Do you have another network location you can test from?

Can you connect to any other GM successfully?

I dont see these questions having been answered.

Zahn_Corso
December 2nd, 2020, 07:19
I haven't answered those questions because those are questions for Blaz3r77. I have asked him to reply and answer you.

blaz3r77
December 2nd, 2020, 09:16
I play in four campaigns between two gms through the same port.
I don't have another network to play on but I've done everything possible to see if that was an issue including restarting my router and the group collectively trying to get me back into the games with everything they know.
I had a previous laptop that i was able to connect to the group with however it stopped connecting and had virtually the same issue as I am having now with my newer and more powerful desktop.

I type in the IP address and my name then hit connect in the fantasy grounds launcher, it gives me a sliver of downloading files and then it stops and resets to the loaders main screen
on the other side they see me connect and then I disappear.

anything you can think of?

damned
December 2nd, 2020, 09:51
Hi can you connect to my cloud server - GM name is damned and I think the campaign is HFd6

Trenloe
December 2nd, 2020, 09:57
Hi can you connect to my cloud server - GM name is damned and I think the campaign is HFd6
They're using FG Classic.

blaz3r77
December 2nd, 2020, 10:00
forgive me i'm not used to the terms, what's the host address name?

damned
December 2nd, 2020, 10:29
Sorry use the alias: insane hook puny idol

blaz3r77
December 2nd, 2020, 15:24
Sorry use the alias: insane hook puny idol

I'm sorry, we must have missed each other i got the could not verify address error. ill try when i wake up next

damned
December 2nd, 2020, 21:30
it was up all night - maybe the alias resolution is wonky again - try using my IP Address: 58.173.164.225

blaz3r77
December 2nd, 2020, 21:53
I was able to connect and download the campaign files no problem

question is why not my group?

damned
December 2nd, 2020, 22:21
Good thats a start. Could the GM share his/her server alias/ip and we can test and see if we connect right thru or if we also get this semi-blocked connection?

Zacchaeus
December 2nd, 2020, 22:21
Try using the IP address rather than the alias if you haven’t already tried that.

blaz3r77
December 2nd, 2020, 22:33
i'll ask him

Willot
December 2nd, 2020, 22:56
The good ol' process of elimination, never fails.

I suspect you might be clicking on an old connection in the history window (GM's IP has changed?). Get the alais or IP the GM is currently using and try typing a new one in manually.
(If you havnt already tried this)